PDA

View Full Version : how do i get aim and yahoo messanger?

bahalanaberry
08-21-2006, 06:54 PM
Just got the berry a few hours ago. how do i get the aim and yahoo messangers on there? also is there any like must have stuff for the berry? im working with the 7130e

option94
08-21-2006, 06:57 PM
Wirelessly posted (Cingular 7130c: BlackBerry7130/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

You can get yahoo from mobile.blackberry.com

Search for ramble, its a good free AIM client. You can also check Handango for others like verichat or IM+

bahalanaberry
08-22-2006, 06:36 AM
ok i'll do that. is there any thing out there for the berry that people just have to have on it

BBAdmin
08-22-2006, 06:43 AM
is there any thing out there for the berry that people just have to have on it

Use the Search facility on the forum and have a hunt around for what people use, there are tons of postings on aftermarket applications.

two-gun kid
08-22-2006, 07:03 PM
Wirelessly posted (Cingular 7130c: BlackBerry7130/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

You can get yahoo from mobile.blackberry.com

Search for ramble, its a good free AIM client. You can also check Handango for others like verichat or IM+
thanks.now i have yahoo messenger.

fizz
08-22-2006, 07:13 PM
a good alternate instead of Ramble is Yak-On. Ramble has been unstable for me.
There's also eMSN for MSN-IM.

bushwik
08-22-2006, 07:35 PM
the AIM/Yahoo/MSN/ICQ software seems to be all pre-installed on my BB but for some godforsaken reason I am unable sign on to any of these applications. It give me an error and says 'communciation error' still cant figure this out. Does anyone have a clue as to what I may need to do or what I am doing wrong?

secrecyguy
08-22-2006, 09:18 PM
the AIM/Yahoo/MSN/ICQ software seems to be all pre-installed on my BB but for some godforsaken reason I am unable sign on to any of these applications. It give me an error and says 'communciation error' still cant figure this out. Does anyone have a clue as to what I may need to do or what I am doing wrong?

Be careful as one user pointed out to me, if you have a software on the Blackberry that is compatiable with most IM, most likely, it uses SMS Text Messaging.

Is it made by OZ? If so, don't use it.

bushwik
08-22-2006, 10:07 PM
Be careful as one user pointed out to me, if you have a software on the Blackberry that is compatiable with most IM, most likely, it uses SMS Text Messaging.

Is it made by OZ? If so, don't use it.

It is made by OZ?!!! Whats the deal with this OZ stuff than? I have unlimited data so I'm not concerned about SMS charges or anything but why would they create somethign that uses SMS for an IM function?!

crackedoutontheblack
08-23-2006, 12:20 AM
It is made by OZ?!!! Whats the deal with this OZ stuff than? I have unlimited data so I'm not concerned about SMS charges or anything but why would they create somethign that uses SMS for an IM function?!

Dude, do you mean you have unlimited text msgs? If not you'll be charged $.10 or whatever the going bs is.....unlimited data or not

Cheers

two-gun kid
08-23-2006, 08:42 AM
does the yahoo messenger program use text messges or use data?

bushwik
08-23-2006, 09:29 AM
does the yahoo messenger program use text messges or use data?

yea...man I have unlimted data and text's...I am trying out yak-on today b/c I heard some good things...

crackedoutontheblack
08-23-2006, 12:22 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7130e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Cool, good luck with it!

why
08-23-2006, 12:29 PM
It could take around 48-72 hours to work.

flash24
08-23-2006, 12:43 PM
get verichat... very solid messenger app. But you need to pay a yearly subscription.. but it's not that bad. Oh and it uses data instead of sms.. so I'm thinking of downgrading my unlimited textmessenging to $4.99... i forgot how many text messeging was that but yea. :D Because right now I'm paying 14 something dollars for unlimited textmesseging.. which I wont really need any more. Thanks to Verichat!

bushwik
08-23-2006, 01:55 PM
edit

bushwik
08-23-2006, 01:56 PM
get verichat... very solid messenger app. But you need to pay a yearly subscription.. but it's not that bad. Oh and it uses data instead of sms.. so I'm thinking of downgrading my unlimited textmessenging to $4.99... i forgot how many text messeging was that but yea. :D Because right now I'm paying 14 something dollars for unlimited textmesseging.. which I wont really need any more. Thanks to Verichat!

I need some help...just sat on the phone with TMobile bb tech support for 30 minutes...He advised me to use blackberry.net for the APN (NO USERNAME OR PW) and I am trying RambleIM and I am still getting an error message saying DNS ERROR with RambleIM He said they dont support those programs that dont come built into the bb from TMobile, but said it sounds like I am getting through to their server and it may be a problem with the third party site it's trying to log into.

ANYONE WHO HAS TMOBILE GIVE ME A HEADS UP PLEASE WITH YOUR SETTINGS AND WHY MINE MAY NOT BE WORKING?!?!?!

edit: I think I need to register my versions of both these apps before they will connect...god im an idiot...I thought they had trial software or something *shrug*

cchoi31
08-23-2006, 05:43 PM
I have a blackberry with nextel 7100i does anyone know if the ramble aim uses text messaging or data? and is there any aim chat that uses data not text messaging? im not looking to use yahoo im, just aol aim.

fizz
08-24-2006, 07:33 AM
[QUOTE=bushwik]I need some help...just sat on the phone with TMobile bb tech support for 30 minutes...He advised me to use blackberry.net for the APN (NO USERNAME OR PW) and I am trying RambleIM and I am still getting an error message saying DNS ERROR with RambleIM He said they dont support those programs that dont come built into the bb from TMobile, but said it sounds like I am getting through to their server and it may be a problem with the third party site it's trying to log into.

ANYONE WHO HAS TMOBILE GIVE ME A HEADS UP PLEASE WITH YOUR SETTINGS AND WHY MINE MAY NOT BE WORKING?!?!?!

for the APN try "wap.voicestream.com", thats supposed to work for T-Mobile.

bushwik
08-24-2006, 10:40 AM
Well first off thanks for the reply....I finally got to emailing the Yak-on techSupport and TMobile indeed gave me the wrong APN (of course) it is wap.voicestream.com, which is what I was using intially...He also suggested to change Options> Advanced > Host Routing Table > pick a number not hightlighted... After doing both of these things I am able to use both IM programs...

sidenote: TMobile doesnt know squat

fizz
08-25-2006, 08:05 AM
sidenote: TMobile doesnt know squat

you can say that again.

Debias
09-04-2006, 01:45 AM
anyone know why the yahoo im will not connect on the 8700c through Cingular?

rambo47
09-04-2006, 08:10 AM
You may need to configure your Blackberry for internet. The settings you need for every carrier are here: http://www.blackberryforums.com/blackberry-network/2185-blackberry-internet-msn-chat-web-telnet-tcpip-no-bes.html

rambo47
09-04-2006, 08:24 AM
D'oh! Double-post.

TylerBoneZJoneZ
09-04-2006, 10:34 AM
I have a blackberry with nextel 7100i does anyone know if the ramble aim uses text messaging or data? and is there any aim chat that uses data not text messaging? im not looking to use yahoo im, just aol aim.

Ramble IM does not use text messages. It uses date I would assume? Im not worried about neither because I Have the BB Unlmited Date plan for 2 years and Unlimted Text Messaging.

Nextels Text Messaging Rates are as follows:

100 Text Messages
$5.00 per/billing cycle

500 Text Messages
$10.00 per/billing cycle

Unlimited Text Messages
$15.00 per/billing cycle

As far as Yahoo Messenger using Text messages it doesnt. Probably data.

Thanks,
Tyler

BERDucky
09-04-2006, 10:46 AM
anyone know why the yahoo im will not connect on the 8700c through Cingular?

Cingular doesn't support/allo IM programs on their handhelds

pierre15208
09-04-2006, 11:51 AM
Just got the berry a few hours ago. how do i get the aim and yahoo messangers on there? also is there any like must have stuff for the berry? im working with the 7130e
"Must have" is a relative term. You ask that question to 100 BB users, you'll get 101 different answers. Me, I have Google Maps, Berry 411, Opera Mini, PicoNews(an RSS Reader) and a Mobile TV Guide subscription. Of those, I'd consider Google Maps, Berry411, and Opera Mini. "must have" items.

TylerBoneZJoneZ
09-04-2006, 11:58 AM
"Must have" is a relative term. You ask that question to 100 BB users, you'll get 101 different answers. Me, I have Google Maps, Berry 411, Opera Mini, PicoNews(an RSS Reader) and a Mobile TV Guide subscription. Of those, I'd consider Google Maps, Berry411, and Opera Mini. "must have" items.

What exactly is google maps?

pierre15208
09-04-2006, 12:05 PM
It's just as its name implies, a program that allows you to access Google's map website on a BlackBerry. With Google maps you can see maps for just about anywhere in the country along with satellite' views. You can enter an address and see its location on a map, you can also get directions between any two points. Point your BB's web browser to www.google/gmm and go from there. The site says that won't work on Nextel phones, but it should work with a BlackBerry.