PDA

View Full Version : No Disable Firewall option

The Newb Guey
08-22-2006, 11:27 PM
Hi, everybody, this is my first blackberry ever (8700g), so i don't know much about it. This is my first problem so far (probably many more to come). Theres no option available to disable my firewall. My friend has one and if he clicks the scrolling thing, it has an option to disable it. But on mine it doesnt. I just find it kind of wierd cuz what if i ever have to disable it. Hope someone can help me out. Thank you

d_fisher
08-22-2006, 11:36 PM
There is virtually no reason to disable the firewall. With it enabled, you will be prompted the first time a particular application tries to access use a particular port. I have never had anything not work because the firewall was enabled. Are you having a problem or do something specific that you need the firewall disabled?

The Newb Guey
08-22-2006, 11:38 PM
No, but i was just wondering how come i can't disable it and my friend has the option too. I just purchased it, thats the reason too, so maybe i can return it. to get one that can. Never know if you ever need to disable it.

d_fisher
08-22-2006, 11:42 PM
If your connected to a BES server it is possible that your getting an IT Policy that is forcing the firewall to be enabled. Is your friend on the exact same model BlackBerry?

The Newb Guey
08-22-2006, 11:47 PM
yes he is, we bought it at the same time. the thing is though im not connected to a data service yet. will it change once i am?

The Newb Guey
08-22-2006, 11:47 PM
well neither is he though

d_fisher
08-22-2006, 11:58 PM
Hmmm, I am not sure why you are seeing the differences. You can see if this document helps...

How To - Reset the firewall prompt on the BlackBerry Wireless Handheld (http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/8021/7925/8142/How_To_-_Reset_the_firewall_prompt_on_the_BlackBerry_Wireless_Handheld.html?nodeid=946386&vernum=0)

The Newb Guey
08-23-2006, 12:23 AM
thanks for the help, but still didn't work. maybe i might just exchange it, or wait till i get data and see if it changes.

daphatty
08-23-2006, 08:48 AM
This link is supposed to help but I haven't had any luck with it. Maybe it will help you... (Anti Spam is preventing me from posting the URL properly.)

http - colon - forward slash, forward slash, blackberry (dot) ig3 (dot) net