PDA

View Full Version : Check for new email only when asked to....

jsinger986
08-25-2006, 10:47 AM
Just got my first blackberry... I'm trying to figure out how to set my blackberry 8700g up to only check for new email when I ask it to... I don't want automatic updates. What happens is my blackberry fills up with emails that I've already read or deleted since the blackberry doesn't update the imap email based on what I did on my desktop.

Also, is there any way to have the blackberry update based on what I do on my desktop (i.e. delete on from desktop deltes on BB)?

I'm using this with t-mobile.

Thanks!

Jeff

Aroc
09-10-2006, 08:16 PM
No. that isn't how this works. For this level of functionality you really need a BES server, sorry.

Dan Dare
09-11-2006, 06:38 AM
Just got my first blackberry... I'm trying to figure out how to set my blackberry 8700g up to only check for new email when I ask it to... I don't want automatic updates. What happens is my blackberry fills up with emails that I've already read or deleted since the blackberry doesn't update the imap email based on what I did on my desktop.

Also, is there any way to have the blackberry update based on what I do on my desktop (i.e. delete on from desktop deltes on BB)?

I'm using this with t-mobile.

Thanks!

Jeff

Hi Jeff I think Blackberry might not be the correct tool for you. Blackberry's main USP is that mail is always on. If you are wanting someting that doen't send mail automatically you need a pull mail system rather than a push system.

You can do this and ensure you don't get mail you have already seen but not by using a blackberry. A windows smartphone maybe the answer. You can configure it to check imap/pop3 mail so that all mail deleted on your desktop will not show up on your handheld. Furthermore you can set filters that only download mail of a certain size or less and then you have to pull the rest of the content if you want to. In addition it can be configured so that if you delete on your handheld you will delete from the server and from you desktop next time you sync with your mail server. This isn't limited to enteprise e-mail. It works with most ISP or even free e-mail accounts (even Hotmail if you upgrade and pay for Outlook(Express) connectivity.

I realise that this is a bit of herasy recommending something other than Blackberry but sometimes it horses for courses.