PDA

View Full Version : No custom rings or names while screen is locked?

jcricket
08-25-2006, 05:39 PM
I'm having this weird issue since I turned on encryption and auto locking (now required by my employer). Specifically, when someone in my address book calls, their number shows up, but not their name and no custom ring tone plays.

I haven't otherwise changed the normal profile, so I don't know why this is happening?

Any ideas?

Stinsonddog
08-26-2006, 09:33 AM
Security implemented with the IT policy that can't be changed. Worse yet for me. 20 min timeout so after 20 min on a call I can't app switch. Can't change it so I learn to live with it.

tsac
08-26-2006, 10:16 PM
I thought if the device is being used the timeout is off. At least thats how mine works with a 30 min timeout. I have been on longer callls and never had to unlock.

tsac
08-26-2006, 10:17 PM
maybe there is a policy option IT can change in your company.
worth a try

jcricket
08-29-2006, 12:17 PM
maybe there is a policy option IT can change in your company.
worth a try
I suppose, but from what I've now read on the Internet, it seems this is the default behavior of all Blackberrys. I guess they think it's more secure if people can't see the names of your contacts.

I don't understand why they couldn't make it an "option" to display names or play custom ring tones even while content protection/screen lock is on. Doesn't seem like you get that much more security with this "feature".

jsuen
08-30-2006, 02:25 AM
Because content protection is turned on. When it's locked, the Blackberry wipes all unencrypted copies of personal data, and the key, and nobody can decrypt it without the password. This is by design. Otherwise, there wouldn't be a point in encrypting the data.