PDA

View Full Version : Making it so Gmail doesn't mail you a copy of sent? (I searched)

DHermit
08-27-2006, 02:20 PM
I know I read this before, but I tried searching and I guess I am retarded. How is this done? It's so anoying to get 2 copies of a message.

TYIA,
-Matt

xxhiyanxx
08-27-2006, 02:25 PM
don't understand... you are sending from ur blackberry through Gmail? or you are getting 2 emails from gmail? or ou are emailign from your computer and getting a copy of what you sent on ur bb?

btw you'd have been better off posting this int he general forum more people would see it

d_fisher
08-27-2006, 03:03 PM
Create a filter in Gmail that deletes any email with From:<email@<hidden>>.

mrogers
08-27-2006, 03:29 PM
I wouldn't delete it, I just tell it so Skip Inbox (archive it). That way, GMail keeps a copy of the messages you send with your BlackBerry and they get integrated into your Conversations just as if you had sent them from the GMail client.

johnfromphilly
08-27-2006, 06:34 PM
If you are still on 1.8 the directions are found on this page:
Stinsonddog's Blackberry Tips Gmail and Yahoo Setup (http://home.comcast.net/~tamsterra/OP/GmailYahoo.htm)

adamlau
08-27-2006, 06:43 PM
http://nnotary.com/downloads/filter.jpg

DHermit
08-28-2006, 12:47 AM

I do not have those options....

adamlau
08-28-2006, 01:54 AM

http://nnotary.com/downloads/filter_icon.jpg

WANNABB
08-28-2006, 08:33 AM
Is it possible to change the way gmail messages are displayed? I am looking for a traditional email header for each message rather than the "username wrote:" display...

DHermit
08-28-2006, 10:58 AM

http://nnotary.com/downloads/filter_icon.jpg

ah thank you, you knew exactly what I was doing wrong.

geek_riot
08-29-2006, 01:13 PM

Hey adamlau,
I tried this and I am still getting my sent messages on my BB. Any ideas?

WANNABB
08-29-2006, 04:12 PM
I had a problem where my BB appeared to be downloading data all the time. It wouldn't even shut off. I removed the battery and all of the messages that I had deleted previously are back on my BB in both my gmail account and my blackberry email account.

WANNABB
08-29-2006, 04:23 PM
And now my filter is not working. What the hell? Has anyone experienced this sort of problem with Gmail before?

Are there any better webmail services that can utilize the POP connection with BB?

WANNABB
08-29-2006, 04:45 PM
Weird...for some reason all my settings for mail were reset when I had my issue with the handheld being locked up...

Working better now.

Still - what are some other free webmail services that people are utilizing with their BBs?

mistadobolina
08-29-2006, 07:53 PM
I was soooo frustrated when this started happening to me!

At first I did what was previously suggested and created a filter in gmail. The filter was set to delete any incomming mail with a "from:" field that matched my own.

However, this fix did not appease me. It worked, but it bugged me.

After a bit more digging I figured out how that I was able to create filters during the blackberry email set-up procedure.

T-mobile makes it easy and allows you to manage these features from the website "my.t-mobile.com"

I hope this helps - I'm sure there are others who are pulling out hair.

-Bob

jason1332
08-29-2006, 07:59 PM
This is great info. I have been lurking this board for a long time and finally registered just to thank Adamlau, as I have all corporate email pushed to a gmail address. We are getting an BES soon but getting dup emails was such a pain in the ... so thanks again!

sultorn
09-03-2006, 11:45 AM
Hey adamlau,
I tried this and I am still getting my sent messages on my BB. Any ideas?

I'm in the same boat. I'm using a different "reply-to" address so I added that one to the filter as well with no luck.

Anyone have any ideas? geek_riot - were you able to fix it? Are you on Cingular, too?

Thanks.

EDIT: sweet! it's working now. maybe the filters just take some time to become operable? I also made 2 extra less specific filters for my e-mail address and the reply-to one (ie, just the username / username@<hidden>)

hoedepot
09-03-2006, 01:01 PM
thanks i had the same problem but not anymore.........

BallHawk3
09-03-2006, 04:01 PM
well to shed some light.

I used g-mail for quite some time. I recently got a 8700g (t-mo) for my personal use and has had it for about 4 months? I also use 2 other blackberrys at work, Nextel and Sprint. Both using G-mail. Now I have never had a problem with gmail (sending me a copy of my sent e-mail) until I read a thread on here regarding BIS 2.1 and how to "upgrade" by re-adding your g-mail address. I did it to my 8700g. It didn't work (i wasn't getting my e-mails) so I tried and tried again. Until it finally worked (and was real-time). But I started getting copy of my sent e-mail. Now I tried it on the other two blackberrys (re-adding gmail) and they did not suffer from this problem. I called t-mo bb support, I got a guy that says he's at the same problem. He says its because gmail is at its beta stage and that its a gmail problem, and its on random gmail accounts (explains why the other two bb aren't doing it). He said he just ended up creating another gmail account for his BB and that account didn't suffer from the problem.

So hopefully, gmail fixes this in the future? Or possibly if your willing to delete you actually gmail account (off gmail). And re-create it with the same user name. Who knows, that might work being a "new" different account. You'll lose all your saved/archive e-mails of course

therev5275
09-04-2006, 02:55 AM
Thanks for the help!

Lopes
09-23-2006, 10:40 AM
wait...sorry to change gears, but gmail is REAL TIME on blackberries now?? I had a 7100 with my old job a year ago and had gmail on it, but it wasn't real time push....have they changed it to real time now?

paulbblc
09-23-2006, 10:42 AM
wait...sorry to change gears, but gmail is REAL TIME on blackberries now?? I had a 7100 with my old job a year ago and had gmail on it, but it wasn't real time push....have they changed it to real time now?

Yes with the implementation of BIS 2.0 and 2.1 it is real time push now.

Lopes
09-23-2006, 10:44 AM
Yes with the implementation of BIS 2.0 and 2.1 it is real time push now.

Holy s***! Thanks for the info! May have to switch back to blackberries now...