PDA

View Full Version : Got 8100, 1 problem i think for sure

PhoneHand
08-28-2006, 08:43 PM
when someone calls and i go to pull phone out of pocket or go to get it. the joystic moves and highlights end and the phone gets muted so you think the call got ended....

Kinda sucks which you can undo the joystick as the answere key

any questions let me know i will answer

Dinkoh
08-28-2006, 08:49 PM
How did you get it? When will it be out to the public? on sprint?

PhoneHand
08-28-2006, 09:05 PM
How did you get it? When will it be out to the public? on sprint?
week of september 12th
no sprint in the near future from what i know.

lets just say "i know someone"

trigga15
08-28-2006, 09:14 PM
worth the money? hard to type on it? nice camera?

mobilecontrol
08-28-2006, 09:19 PM
I got it about a week ago...I work for T-Mob ;).

PhoneHand
08-28-2006, 09:22 PM
worth the money? hard to type on it? nice camera?
I would say its worth $199 and possably more.
Camera is nice. Prolly the best 1.3mp camera i ever used.
its really small so going from a TYTN to a E61 to a 8700 as my 3 phones i switch around, this thing feels liek a toy until you get used to it.

I would say at first i thought it was to small. but it takes time to get used to and once you do its amazing.

trigga15
08-28-2006, 09:24 PM
ooh sweet whats the shape of your 8700?

PhoneHand
08-28-2006, 09:24 PM
ooh sweet whats the shape of your 8700?
not selling it. have to change my SIG. its a great spar phone

mobilecontrol
08-28-2006, 09:25 PM
its really small so going from a TYTN to a E61 to a 8700 as my 3 phones i switch around, this thing feels liek a toy until you get used to it.

I would say at first i thought it was to small. but it takes time to get used to and once you do its amazing.

I wouldn't take back that size for anything. The phone is the best BB ever released to date.

PhoneHand
08-28-2006, 09:28 PM
I wouldn't take back that size for anything. The phone is the best BB ever released to date.
some people would surely have a problem with the size, trust me.

im 6'2'' and have big hands and i can tell you its very weird to type on such a small phone.

BTW: those who are used to keyboard shortcuts like R for reply etc... that all changes! page down bottom page etc.. thats all diffrent.... another thing to get used to

mobilecontrol
08-28-2006, 09:34 PM
some people would surely have a problem with the size, trust me.

im 6'2'' and have big hands and i can tell you its very weird to type on such a small phone.

BTW: those who are used to keyboard shortcuts like R for reply etc... that all changes! page down bottom page etc.. thats all diffrent.... another thing to get used to

Very true about the size, but I definitely have more customers saying the BB's are too bid rather than too small. So it's been time for a resize and every customer I talk to can't wait...

Stinsonddog
08-28-2006, 09:46 PM
Wirelessly posted (8700c: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

So are there even keyboard shortcuts. The 7100 didn't have them so are they on the 8100.

Boy Genius
08-28-2006, 09:48 PM
No keyboard shortcuts, dumbest thing on RIMs part...

PhoneHand
08-28-2006, 09:50 PM
thier is shortcuts ;)

mine is a retail version

you can foward reply reply all page down bottom page etc...

BG if you hit qw on the keyboard it should reply... try it

Boy Genius
08-28-2006, 10:06 PM
Wirelessly posted (8700c: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

So are there even keyboard shortcuts. The 7100 didn't have them so are they on the 8100.

No he means homescreen shortcuts like M for messages, A for address book etc...

PhoneHand
08-28-2006, 10:09 PM
No he means homescreen shortcuts like M for messages, A for address book etc...
ahh gotcha... never knew that other blackberrys had that

when you get a message in the blackberry message and you open it does it go straight to the typing bar? mine goes straight to a little thing that says when the message was received then i have to push the wheel in and it goes to the type bar.

a little annoying

Boy Genius
08-28-2006, 10:29 PM
If device is holstered and not locked it will go directly to the message, if you open blackberry messenger it will just goto the active conversations list.

Stinsonddog
08-28-2006, 10:37 PM

So are the other navigation keys similar to what's in my 7100 tips doc at my tips site?

Boy Genius
08-29-2006, 01:44 AM
Havnt seen your tip site but it basically is same 7100 style shortcuts

flash24
08-29-2006, 02:50 AM
is the roller better than the good ol' scroller?

flash24
08-29-2006, 02:50 AM
oh and congrats for gettin the 8100!!

GSY
08-29-2006, 07:49 AM
Can anyone confirm this? I am already on T-Mo and will get it the sixth if this is true but the guy on the phone did not seem particularly knowledeable.

Also, if anyone can mail me where to get one sooner I'd love to have one before Labor Day weekend so I can learn how to use it before next week. I have a Treo 650 (unlocked) which I like but it's bulky. I'll be new to the BB world and would love to use the long weekend to get aquainted. Thanks all.

GSY

gabedamian
08-29-2006, 08:33 AM
I will be at my local store on Sept 12 hoping to get two 8100s. Will the retail boxes come with a case of some kind? When could we expect 3rd part accessories to be available?

bperkins
08-29-2006, 08:46 AM
BG, Phonehand any chance you could post a screenshot of the new BB Messenger GUI?

PhoneHand
08-29-2006, 09:25 AM
The browser still sucks! If this had the e61 browser it would be the shit

My thumbs donby hurt but my pointer finger does from trying to hold this tiny thing in my hand!

Its a nice phone.

BoyG: when you get a call and your phone is in your pocket l. If you make a slight move does your track ball mute the call. What I mean is like the old style blackberry if you move the jog dual down on a call ith high lights end and the ohbe mutes... Seems its done very easy with this trackwheel, kinds sucks!

kotis
08-29-2006, 09:29 AM
1) anyone know how to post a new thread?

2) if I knew, I'd ask how I turn color on my 7100g on in email. I have a great screen, but the email shows in B&W. Not useful when I receive emails where people of highlighted comments, changes etc.

secrecyguy
08-29-2006, 09:41 AM

Only $200 for the phone?!?! That's cheaper than the 8700 and have more stuff on it.

Now I am seriously thinking of getting one when it comes out. But than again, when it comes out, they might end up lowering the price for the 8700.

The only thing I don't like about the 8100 is the keyboard. I type alot on my 7290 so the keyboard on the 8100 may slow me down.

secrecyguy
08-29-2006, 09:45 AM
I just wondering if anyone knows this answer or not. It appears the screen on the 8100 is smaller than the 7290 and the 8700.

So I wonder how the web pages will appear on the 8100 screen. Will it look the same as the 7290 and 8700 or will the web pages be more squashed in?

PhoneHand
08-29-2006, 09:49 AM
The browser still sucks! If this had the e61 browser it would be the shit

My thumbs donby hurt but my pointer finger does from trying to hold this tiny thing in my hand!

Its a nice phone.

BoyG: when you get a call and your phone is in your pocket l. If you make a slight move does your track ball mute the call. What I mean is like the old style blackberry if you move the jog dual down on a call ith high lights end and the ohbe mutes... Seems its done very easy with this trackwheel, kinds sucks!

mobilecontrol
08-29-2006, 10:52 AM
I just wondering if anyone knows this answer or not. It appears the screen on the 8100 is smaller than the 7290 and the 8700.

So I wonder how the web pages will appear on the 8100 screen. Will it look the same as the 7290 and 8700 or will the web pages be more squashed in?

Similar to 7100t and 7105t screens, not the full QWERTY 7290 and 8700g.

mobilecontrol
08-29-2006, 10:54 AM

Using the holster might help. In your pocket, you're screwed just like having the normal scroll wheel in your pocket I assume.

mobilecontrol
08-29-2006, 10:55 AM
Only $200 for the phone?!?! That's cheaper than the 8700 and have more stuff on it.

Now I am seriously thinking of getting one when it comes out. But than again, when it comes out, they might end up lowering the price for the 8700.

The only thing I don't like about the 8100 is the keyboard. I type alot on my 7290 so the keyboard on the 8100 may slow me down.

It was rumored so far $199-$249 with a new contract (most likely 2 years as well)...but who knows until it actually is released.

udontknowjack
08-29-2006, 10:56 AM
Can't you lock the device? or does it not lock the trackball?

ootdoo
08-29-2006, 11:02 AM
that's it....i'm heading to the tmobile store right now! (i only work 2 suites down). maybe a little "extra" for the rep will get me an 8100 today! oh man.

richard371
08-29-2006, 01:12 PM
I just called my tmobile store in SF and they have 1 but they cannot even show it to the public because they don't have any of the release information yet. If companies sell a product before the release date they can get into serious legal trouble. Anyone that thinks they can walk in and buy one before the release date is going to be out of luck.

mobilecontrol
08-29-2006, 01:31 PM
I just called my tmobile store in SF and they have 1 but they cannot even show it to the public because they don't have any of the release information yet. If companies sell a product before the release date they can get into serious legal trouble. Anyone that thinks they can walk in and buy one before the release date is going to be out of luck.

Definitely. Like I said, we have one, but it cannot be shown to customers. T-Mobile has never been so hard on me demonstrating a phone as much as they are on this one...it's a little too anal. Upper management has been acting like no one has seen this phone yet...and I have customers coming up every day because the entire ****ing world knew months ago that we were getting it. Uggggghhhhhh, just release the damn thing already!

PhoneHand
08-29-2006, 01:46 PM
trackball doesnt lock

PhoneHand
08-29-2006, 03:26 PM
the blackberry messenger is the same thing... only thing is it sends pictures quickly threw it.

nothing really to show on that part.

the trackball takes time getting used to. feels to fast for me but i gota get used to it i think. i dont have a holster mine did not come with it for some reason... im sure they will be available soon.

You can pick up the phone: september 12th at your tmobile store. from my understanding the stores are getting very large numbers..

mobilecontrol
08-29-2006, 07:23 PM
the blackberry messenger is the same thing... only thing is it sends pictures quickly threw it.

nothing really to show on that part.

the trackball takes time getting used to. feels to fast for me but i gota get used to it i think. i dont have a holster mine did not come with it for some reason... im sure they will be available soon.

You can pick up the phone: september 12th at your tmobile store. from my understanding the stores are getting very large numbers..

You do know you can adjust the sensitivity of the trackball right? 8-)

kwang98131
08-29-2006, 08:13 PM
so from what im understanding.. the track ball CAN NOT be locked so if its in your pocket and it slides around.. the track ball might activate a call or whatever?

also is smooth? is it greased up or will it get old and start to be a little harder to maneuver around?

and is dust or lint in your pocket gona easily get into the ball or behind it into the phone etc?

mobilecontrol
08-29-2006, 08:22 PM
so from what im understanding.. the track ball CAN NOT be locked so if its in your pocket and it slides around.. the track ball might activate a call or whatever?

also is smooth? is it greased up or will it get old and start to be a little harder to maneuver around?

and is dust or lint in your pocket gona easily get into the ball or behind it into the phone etc?

The trackball works great. Very smooth and easy to use. As far as lint, I don't think any of us have used it long enough to find out. But, the Sidekick 3 uses the exact same trackball and I have never had a customer return it yet because of problems with the ball of any kind.

Boy Genius
08-29-2006, 09:10 PM
not true the trackball to me is bigger and easier to use on the sidekick 3

beninark
08-29-2006, 09:49 PM
So is this phone going to be pocket friendly since apparently it is not possible to "lock" the track ball?

mobilecontrol
08-29-2006, 09:55 PM
not true the trackball to me is bigger and easier to use on the sidekick 3

Well, true, SK3 does have a bit larger trackball...but then, it's a BRICK of a phone and will never ever compare to a BB any day. But, from my experience, operationg either trackball is very smooth and easy to use.

Mikef1182
08-29-2006, 10:05 PM
I too found the trackball very easy to use and comfortable. My hand used to cramp up using the scroll wheel on my 7100 and my 7290.

Bristol
08-29-2006, 10:11 PM
Does anyone know if the shortcut keys are the same as the 7130 models? I would assume so (1/ER for the top of message list when in list mode, !/QW for reply when reading an EMail, etc.)

On the accidental trackball activation, that is a concern which somebody owning the phone can answer. It seems that even when using a holster, this could be a problem because the trackball is on the face rather than the side. Does the trackball affect a phone call before the green pickup button is hit? Is the concern that it might mute when against your cheek? I would like to hear whether this is a phantom or real problem...

Bristol
08-29-2006, 10:15 PM
Random aside: if anybody has used an Apple Mighty Mouse, you know that a well-made mini-trackball can be extremely usable and powerful...I just got their new bluetooth version and love it (works on both Mac OSX and Windows XP by the way.) But you don't put the mouse in your pocket or a holster...

PhoneHand
08-29-2006, 10:17 PM
Does anyone know if the shortcut keys are the same as the 7130 models? I would assume so (1/ER for the top of message list when in list mode, !/QW for reply when reading an EMail, etc.)

On the accidental trackball activation, that is a concern which somebody owning the phone can answer. It seems that even when using a holster, this could be a problem because the trackball is on the face rather than the side. Does the trackball affect a phone call before the green pickup button is hit? Is the concern that it might mute when against your cheek? I would like to hear whether this is a phantom or real problem...
I really think its a seriouse problem they need to fix. If you are walking and the phoen moves around in the pocket and the track ball moves whil a call comes in it will mute it :/ had it already happend once.

the track wheel yes i know you can adjust the sensitivty. i like it, takes time to get usd to.

yes same shortcuts as you mentioned above

Bristol
08-29-2006, 10:26 PM
Thanks. Sounds like they have it set so that any movement of the trackball quiets the ring? Will it also stop the vibration? You aren't referring to muting the microphone, are you?

kwang98131
08-29-2006, 10:33 PM
is it possible to kill the track ball or disable it while it is in the pocket so there is no accidental dial or buttons being pushed?

also is the trackball a button? (like can you push it down to select a link or whatever?)

PhoneHand
08-29-2006, 10:33 PM
Thanks. Sounds like they have it set so that any movement of the trackball quiets the ring? Will it also stop the vibration? You aren't referring to muting the microphone, are you?
any movement of the ball does this:
when a call comes in on other blackberrys with wheels you can push the wheel down it mutes the call totally...

thats what the 8100 does if you move the ball :(

kwang98131
08-29-2006, 10:34 PM
any movement of the ball does this:
when a call comes in on other blackberrys with wheels you can push the wheel down it mutes the call totally...

thats what the 8100 does if you move the ball :(
nvm you answered the question i had posted above as soon as i posted it haha

Grifter
08-29-2006, 11:19 PM
Does it have expandable memory and if so, what kind?

PhoneHand
08-29-2006, 11:21 PM
Does it have expandable memory and if so, what kind?yes thats already been posted.
micro sd