PDA

View Full Version : Updating BB software

sl2
08-29-2006, 07:44 AM
Several weeks ago I recounted the tale of my BB 7100v and the error messages.

I eventualy sent it back to the retailer here in England and they sent me a new one. It works and I have had no problems with it.

The trouble is that every time I connect it to my computer and start the desktop software it insists on telling me that there are new versions of nearly all the BB software.

Now: it is working, it is not 'bust', there really isn't any need to update it...but..
it is going to remind me that it should be done on a daily basis.

Due to the problems I had with the earlier BB I am nervous about letting it update itself.

So, two questions:

Should I be nervous?
What happens to all my newly added addresses, tasks, calendar events, etc?

Steve Lawson
York
England.

NJBlackBerry
08-29-2006, 07:55 AM
First of all, if you are concerned about your data, you should immediately do a Backup in Desktop Manager.

Second, when you do allow the BB to get updated, the first step of the update process is to (ta da) do a backup. Better to have two than one.

So your new addresses, etc. will get restored (automatically) after the update.

Stinsonddog
08-29-2006, 08:23 AM
Wirelessly posted (8700c: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

How do you think the update got on your PC. DM won't prompt you unless an updated OS package was executed on your PC? Is this a corporate BB or personal?

sl2
08-29-2006, 08:57 AM
The BB I have is a personal one. (No E-Mail, No web browsing - which I don't want anyway)

I work at a University: the concept of corporate BB's being supplied by my employer would be alien. It would require them to spend money! (-:

I think now understand why it is asking me to update: In the course of trying to get my old BB to come back to life, I downloaded the latest operating system and tried loading it (failed). It is still on my hard disk and I assume that it is this that the desktop software is 'seeing'.

Unless there are significant differences between 4.0.2 (and all the applications) and the latest OS I don't see the point of updating.

Steve Lawson.

Stinsonddog
08-29-2006, 09:22 AM
So delete the latest OS from add/remove programs and that will go away. Yes you have it right now as to what you are seeing. People do these upgrades all the time.

baconismidog
08-29-2006, 10:36 AM
The latest OS has done no damage that I have seen in these forums and has fixed a lot of connectivity issues some users were having. Just backup the data and upgrade the OS. That is what I would do (actually I would erase the thing and load it fresh - control freak here).

That is my 2 cents. Good luck to you.

Nickster248
08-29-2006, 10:59 AM
The latest OS has done no damage that I have seen in these forums and has fixed a lot of connectivity issues some users were having. Just backup the data and upgrade the OS. That is what I would do (actually I would erase the thing and load it fresh - control freak here).

That is my 2 cents. Good luck to you.
I agree...erase everything and start anew. There is nothing like have a fresh OS install, and then load the Programs that you want.