PDA

View Full Version : BES question re: personal email accts

puckplayer4
08-29-2006, 05:27 PM
Hi all, total noob here, but have to say this site is awesome...been reading for a while.

So, my co just got BES (good thing). But, I'm curious to know, on personal email accounts that I would add to my BB, as well as web surfing, does that info (the data associated with them) go through my co's BES server? I really want to keep my personal email out of my corp network...big brother, etc.

Any info you all have would be most appreciated.
Thx

juwaack68
08-29-2006, 05:57 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7100i/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/103)

Email sent to your device from a BIS account doesn't go thru the company server. However, pi should find out the company policy on being able to SEND as your BIS account.

Our users can receive the email, but ALL outgoing mail is sent from their company account.

takeshi
08-30-2006, 08:33 AM
If you need to guarantee privacy then your best bet is two separate devices. Mail delivered via BIS, web browsing that doesn't take place on the Blackberry Browser, and PIN messages all don't travel via company servers. However, as the CIBC case (http://www.ecommercetimes.com/story/43376.html) has demonstrated, CIBC was able to retrieve PIN messages from their employee's handhelds...

fourstringfuror
08-30-2006, 09:09 AM
This thread gives me pause to reconsider using my BB to receive personal emails (my device being company owned and administered). If I wanted to stop receiving personal email, how would I do that?

d_fisher
08-30-2006, 09:12 AM
If I wanted to stop receiving personal email, how would I do that?Delete the accounts you configured on your carrier website (BIS).

puckplayer4
08-30-2006, 09:18 AM
Thanks all. This is pretty much what I feared. Think I'll stay on BIS for a while.
Again thanks.

fourstringfuror
08-30-2006, 10:37 AM
Delete the accounts you configured on your carrier website (BIS).

Thanks.

JerryD
08-30-2006, 10:43 AM
Hi all, total noob here, but have to say this site is awesome...been reading for a while.

So, my co just got BES (good thing). But, I'm curious to know, on personal email accounts that I would add to my BB, as well as web surfing, does that info (the data associated with them) go through my co's BES server? I really want to keep my personal email out of my corp network...big brother, etc.

Any info you all have would be most appreciated.
Thx
One thing I didn't see mentioned here is that the Blackberry browser gets it's connection to the Internet though the BES (and can therefore be monitored by your company). The Internet and WAP browsers get their Internet connection from your service provider and not through your company's network.

puckplayer4
08-30-2006, 12:32 PM
Well given all of this and the lower cost of BIS I think I can live with non-instant access to my corp email. Afterall, using OWA via BIS should be good enuf and allow for personal email/web surfing to remain 'independent' of co. Watch out for the man!

Thanks again all.

BB8100user
06-03-2007, 12:36 PM
One thing I didn't see mentioned here is that the Blackberry browser gets it's connection to the Internet though the BES (and can therefore be monitored by your company). The Internet and WAP browsers get their Internet connection from your service provider and not through your company's network.

Can you please highlight the difference between BB browser vs Internet / WAP browser? What exactly is the BB browser - is that the default browser provided by T-mobile, for instance? All I see with T-Mob is "browser", not description whether it's BB browser or otherwise.

Thanks.