PDA

View Full Version : Saving Sim Card Contacts to file on PC

dlewis
08-31-2006, 09:58 PM
I'm trying to find out how to save a copy of the sim card contacts to a file I can save on my PC? Does anyone know if this is possible....if so, can you provide any direction? Thank you!!!

d_fisher
08-31-2006, 10:02 PM
First off, the BlackBerry does not save contacts to the SIM card. If the contacts were on the SIM card before the BlackBerry you can copy them into the BlackBerry address book. From there, sync them to your favorite supported address book. You may be able to take the SIM card to your service provider and have them pull the info off the card.

trigga15
08-31-2006, 10:04 PM
not even can dlewis take it to his provider because if you cant save them to the sim card there isnt a way to pull them from the sim

dlewis
08-31-2006, 10:06 PM
So all the information on the blackberry address book that I've saved to my sim card can not be downloaded to anything but a program like Outlook?

The problem is blackberry I started with has all my information thru work and I will be changing jobs but don't want to dump everything onto a new sim card. I'd like to have the information in a file that I use for reference...is that possible?

d_fisher
08-31-2006, 10:25 PM
Are you absolutely sure your contacts on the BlackBerry are relly on your SIM card. Open the Address Book, press the scroll wheel and select SIM phone book. Is this populated with all your contacts? The BlackBerry uses the SIM card as a read only database.

Are you connected to a BES server at work? If so, how is your address book synching now? Export your address book from your corporate email program, if applicable.

d_fisher
08-31-2006, 10:31 PM
not even can dlewis take it to his provider because if you cant save them to the sim card there isnt a way to pull them from the simIncorrect. There are SIM card readers that pull information from one SIM and move it to another or save it to a file. It is completely possible that dlewis had contacts on his SIM from a previous cell phone that did store the contacts on the SIM. These contacts would be available to read and export from the SIM card.

trigga15
08-31-2006, 10:34 PM
even if he is connected to bes it doesnt save to his sim...i dont believe so

d_fisher
08-31-2006, 10:41 PM
even if he is connected to bes it doesnt save to his sim...i dont believe soCorrect. But if he is connected to a BES server his address book is syncing to his corporate email program (MS Outlook, Lotus Notes, or Novell GroupWise). He can export his address book from those applications into a text, comma sepearted, vcard, or other text files.

trigga15
08-31-2006, 10:44 PM
ohh i understand what you're saying now

dlewis
09-05-2006, 11:13 AM
Correct. But if he is connected to a BES server his address book is syncing to his corporate email program (MS Outlook, Lotus Notes, or Novell GroupWise). He can export his address book from those applications into a text, comma sepearted, vcard, or other text files.
That's exactly what I need to know - Can you give me a step by step on how to export the contact information into a text file? Thanks again!

d_fisher
09-05-2006, 11:57 AM
Its hard to give a step by step process as each email client is different. This is what I would do if you were using Lotus Notes 6.5 (which is what I use). Other email clients will be different.

Open Lotus Notes and go to the Address Book.
Click File > Export.
Enter a file name and format to use (I like vCard 3.0).
Export all contacts and all fields.
Save.

You can open the vCard file in notepad to verify that all the information is there.