PDA

View Full Version : Resolution to trackball moving, messing up calls in pocket or bag?

anthonymoody
09-07-2006, 09:11 AM
For those of us who carry our phones in our pockets (or in a bag) - has there been final word as to whether one can "lock" the trackball - physically or electronically - as part of locking the keyboard (or separately), so that if you're pulling the phone out of your pocket to answer (or screen/ignore) a call, you can set it so that the trackball won't move and preempt whatever you otherwise wanted to do?

TIA,
TM

Pizzle
09-07-2006, 10:16 AM
I don't really know your answer, but if it functions like the trackwheel, you shouldn't have much of an issue. I carry my 8700c in my pocket, and at worst, if I roll the wheel during an incoming call, it simply shuts the ringer off. I have a feeling the ball will have a similar effect.

beninark
09-07-2006, 10:31 AM
has there ever been a problem while walking that say it is sliding around in your pocket at the time of a call coming in....so it is muting at the same time the call comes in and no sound occurs?

this is really my only concern with this phone so I have to be really creative when trying to come up with a problem...I guess that is a good thing.

penk
09-07-2006, 10:57 AM
lanyard

thesaint
09-07-2006, 11:02 AM
lanyard

BlackBerry Pearl: The Next Bling?

anthonymoody
09-07-2006, 03:48 PM
penk,
no thanks!

pizzle,
i have an 8700g so I hear you. The thought only occured to me b/c of something I saw someone else post. Was that you beninark?

In any case, it's a potential issue - unless it's not :)

TM

beninark
09-07-2006, 09:37 PM
I have only seen 4 or 5 questions being asked about this and it seems to be fairly important if you carry the phone in your pocket. (I dont like things on the belt)
I have yet to see anyone give an actual answer to this, other than it is a concern. I cant take a chance on ignoring a call with out ever hearing it. beyond that I am all in for this phone.

anthonymoody
09-07-2006, 09:52 PM
Yeah I wish BG would chime in on this.. . .
TM

Boy Genius
09-07-2006, 10:31 PM
I'm here, to tell you the truth I don't use it as a phone and use it less and less now, it is true that the trackball moving while a phone call comes in will mute the ringer, have not found a fix for it yet

kwang98131
09-07-2006, 10:33 PM
I'm here, to tell you the truth I don't use it as a phone and use it less and less now, it is true that the trackball moving while a phone call comes in will mute the ringer, have not found a fix for it yet

BG what phone do you use then? or what would you recommend to a new soon to be BB user like myself? 8100 or 8700?

and i do liek the qwerty more but 8100 has def a lot more nicer features.:space:

crazylegs
09-07-2006, 11:50 PM
so it will stop the vibrating as well? if not, why not set it to vibrate and ring - if you feel the call, who cares if it mutes? i guess it's a problem if in a bag. this should be able to be fixed with software though i imagine, so maybe RIM will upgrade it if there are enough complaints. i'm also betting they are constantly looking to improve it so maybe the next version will be better. oh, but i'm still gonna get one...

GMK
09-09-2006, 02:10 PM
I got to fool with one @<hidden> the local TMO store today and I think most concerns about movement turning on or the 8100 are not totally substantiated. After it goes to sleep, trackball movement (read rolling the trackball) doesn't bring it out of sleep mode. It takes a push on the ball to wake it up and it requires a bit of force. Not saying its impossible but it isn't as big a problem that I thought it might be.

biscuit
09-09-2006, 02:18 PM
I would assume that you can simply lock the phone to take care of this problem. I keep my audiovox 5600 in my pocket and have to keep it locked because of the ease of hitting the talk button and placing a call while in my pocket. I learned the hard way about this, I actually called my girlfriend while my phone was in my pocket and she was able to listen to a 20 minute conversation with a friend mainly about her. To lock my phone all I have to do is hold the end call button for a few secconds, the phone still rings and I can answer a call, I just cant activate anything else by mistake.

rambo47
09-09-2006, 05:13 PM
I'd bet that locking the keyboard would do the trick. No buttons on the 7105t work while the keyboard is locked.

Boy Genius
09-09-2006, 08:26 PM
Yeah but if you lock it and have an incoming call, and roll the trackwheel doesnt that mute the vibrate and sound immediatly?? Samething on pearl

biscuit
09-09-2006, 11:19 PM
You should be able to lock the phone, when a call comes in the only buttons that should work will be the volume button on the side to stop the ring and the answer button. None of the other buttons should work until it is unlocked unless you are on a call. BG, try holding down your end call button for a couple of secconds and see if this locks the phone. Let us know what you find out.

Boy Genius
09-09-2006, 11:24 PM
end doesnt lock it, it turns it off, you hold * to lock it, or hold mute button to put in standby mode

biscuit
09-09-2006, 11:29 PM
What happens when a call comes in and it is locked?

hypermaster
11-09-2006, 03:08 AM
am thinking of buying the BB8100 & this is my biggest concern also.
The phones in my pocket & i'm walking.. i;m sure the trachball will be moving in my pocket... when i get a call...it will mute the ringer & vibrator & i will not know if m phones ringing.

There should be some setting that makes the phone mute only on a CLICK of the trachball & not a roll or be able to turn off the ability of the trackball to do anything while phone is locked.
Can someone post pics of the Profiles options & gie us what other features can the trackball be configured to.

justkitteh
11-09-2006, 03:25 AM
Updating the phone solves this problem.

SirCharles
11-09-2006, 11:49 AM
What happens when a call comes in and it is locked?

you trackball is still active, and even though your phone is locked, you could roll over to "Ignore"

I've read in some other threads that an OS2 (upgraded software) eliminates this problem where on rolling over to 'Ignore', the phone stops ringing

Jdog1183
11-09-2006, 02:46 PM
is it safe to update the phone? or should I wait till some kind of over the air update gets sent out by tmobile to fix this problem?

justkitteh
11-09-2006, 05:54 PM
is it safe to update the phone? or should I wait till some kind of over the air update gets sent out by tmobile to fix this problem?
Update the phone, it works fine, I got better battery life, tho some people say it's diminished. I supose it depends what you're going. You can also "unlock" the Vodafone theme which is a big winner. Personaly I think it make my BB at least twice as useful as the Zen theme or whatever.

You can always downdgrade if youd rather go back to the old system anyway.

hypetech
11-11-2006, 12:45 PM
apparently rogers an os2 have this feature fixed in their latest updates, however tmo does not, and I don't feel comfortable installing another carrier's software. I think tmo is looking to release the new firmware with a fix to this mid to late this month, as they are aware of the problem. It really is a huge inconvience as the vibrate feature is not very strong, and the phone immediatley mutes at the smallest flick of the pearl. To stave off this problem, I have heard you can turn the sensitivity on the pearl down very low. People that have done this as far as I know haven't experienced this issue anymore.

rambo47
11-11-2006, 12:52 PM
Rumor and inuendo hints at an early November release for the T-Mobile update. It really can't be far off if several other carriers have released it already.

bartleby
11-12-2006, 12:17 PM
The Rogers update works without a hitch and does fix the ringer issue. It also makes the device feel generally snappier. You can find a download link in the RIM technical forums on this site. Once you download the update and run the installer but before you try to sync your Pearl with your computer, search for "vendor.xml" in Windows and delete it so you can use the Rogers update on your T-Mobile device. It went off without a hitch on my T-mob pearl.