PDA

View Full Version : Using the 8700c (unlocked) overseas with a 'local' sim

samcraig
09-07-2006, 11:55 AM
I've asked this in a private message but thought I'd throw it out publicly as well.

If I unlock my BB 8700c and use a blackberry friendly sim (i.e. can handle bb data) over in the UK - will all my email still be pushed to my device with the temporary/new sim in there or ONLY when my cingular sim is installed?

junior1790
09-07-2006, 01:19 PM
In my experience NO, it will not but it has been awhile since i have jumoed the pond, things may have changed...

wcberry
09-07-2006, 01:22 PM
I am not sure what you are trying to do, but if you are going to put a different SIM in it, you will not get your email. The other SIM will not be tied to your BB. It will allow you to make and receive local phone calls. I use my unlocked BB in this matter and use a local Kuwait SIM. No email or data. Just voice. I pay Cingular for an international data plan and get my email and other data with my regular SIM. If I need to make some local phone calls, I swap out the SIM. Pain in the butt, but it does work. YOu can find some dual SIM switches for the BB that will you to switch between two SIMS without having to pull one out all the time.

samcraig
09-07-2006, 02:09 PM
My intention/use is to go to London and get a sim card over there and use that for a little over a week (pre-paid) and not have to keep switching to get email. My email usage over there will be 70 percent of my BB use and 30 percent will be voice. I plan on getting unlimited int'l data put on via cingular.

I just wondered if unlocking my phone would really be of benefit - and it sounds like it wouldn't really in this scenario. My email/push need outweighs my need to use the voice plan while over there

sdetweil
09-07-2006, 02:28 PM
I am going to europe for 3 weeks shortly. I was going to use one of the dual sim cards.. but it looks like they don't work for BBs (at least doesn't for me)..

SO.. each SIM has a different identity, so your BES email push will only go to the authorized SIM.

I'm going to use MINO to handle voice calls via the internet to bypass some of the phone system charges..

Sam

whoscalling
09-07-2006, 02:39 PM
best approach to international data is turn it on through your provider before you go. Turn it off when you get home.

marcus.tate
09-23-2006, 05:19 AM
Why don't you just buy a cheap local pay-as-you go number for calls in the uk while you are there?

wcberry
09-23-2006, 06:08 AM
My intention/use is to go to London and get a sim card over there and use that for a little over a week (pre-paid) and not have to keep switching to get email. My email usage over there will be 70 percent of my BB use and 30 percent will be voice. I plan on getting unlimited int'l data put on via cingular.

I just wondered if unlocking my phone would really be of benefit - and it sounds like it wouldn't really in this scenario. My email/push need outweighs my need to use the voice plan while over there

Sorry, you really can't do that. If you change the SIM to a local one, you will lose your data which includes your email. The advantage to a local SIM is cheaper local calls only.