PDA

View Full Version : Problem - Desktop Manager 4.2.x - Media Manager

jayshen
09-07-2006, 08:41 PM
Hi,

I installed Desktop Manager 4.2 just this afternoon and some nice features are finally available...like Media Manager to transfer media files.

However, my current BB8700c has OS 4.1.0.309 (platform 2.0.0.133) installed and when I launched Media Manager from Desktop Manager, an error popped up: "The connected BlackBerry device does not support transferring media files. Verify that the device has BlackBerry Device Software version 4.2 or later installed."

As currently, I don't have OS 4.2 and can anyone here confirm when OS 4.2 will be released ? Thanks...

My current BB is based on 8700C_PBr4.1.0_rel371_PL2.0.0.133_A4.1.0.309_CSL.e xe - I hope version 4.2 of this would be released soon...

hf1khal
09-07-2006, 11:08 PM
Well today I had some one make a call to a BB rep. The reply was for Cingular the O/S will look to be 4.2 when it is released but that will be delayed a bit for PTT.

d_fisher
09-07-2006, 11:24 PM
I haven't heard a single mention of carrier release dates for OS 4.2. I wouldn't hold your breath expecting anything anytime soon.

On a side note, not sure how useful the media manager will be on a device that can only handle 64MB storage. Definitely make it easier to transfer ringtones to the device, but not much else. Its going to be a great feature for future devices that can use memory cards.

jayshen
09-08-2006, 01:16 AM
I haven't heard a single mention of carrier release dates for OS 4.2. I wouldn't hold your breath expecting anything anytime soon.

On a side note, not sure how useful the media manager will be on a device that can only handle 64MB storage. Definitely make it easier to transfer ringtones to the device, but not much else. Its going to be a great feature for future devices that can use memory cards.

Yeah...I agree with you on media manager...when I saw a colleague using treo 650 with that 1GB SD memory card...you would think why RIM's product development team didn't get a chance to think a little bit further down the road for 8700....the memory limitation on 8700 is an ultimate dead end...