PDA

View Full Version : 8700g battery life - Opera

gsdavies
09-08-2006, 05:57 AM
I recently got hold of an 8700g on TMobile UK. First thing I did was download Opera Mini because i couldn't get to grips with TZones.

I was very disappointed with the dismal battery life of the 8700g - example would be that it came off overnight charge to 100% battery at 7.45am, took incoming calls for ten minutes, received half a dozen emails, responded and created a further ten during the morning. Come to 12.15pm the battery was down to 55%.

I did everything suggested - reduce the backlight timer down to minimum, brightness right down, bluetooth off etc, etc and saw no improvement.

I then thought that perhaps downloading opera had something to do with this - Opera Mini had never been able to connect to the net properly, so having finally got to grips with TZones, I removed it, rebooted the 8700 and so far so good.

Today, it came off charge at 7.30 am, has done a similar workload this morning and at the time of writing (11.55) has 95% battery.

Not sure if this is just good luck or there really is a problem with Opera.

Might be worth a try if your BB is struggling to get you to work and back..

paulbblc
09-08-2006, 11:56 AM
I've noticed the same issue with Opera however I am able to connect to sites with it. Ever since the download my battery has had quite the drop in lifespan.

Opera doesn't run in the background, as far as I can see (alt+side end key), so I'm not quite sure what the deal is.

Anyone have any info?

Peterme
09-08-2006, 12:31 PM
Make sure you "Exit" the Opera browser from the Opera menu, and also close other un-needed apps. These things drain the battery.

paulbblc
09-08-2006, 12:43 PM
Yes as I stated it isn't running in the background. Meaning I completely exit the app as well as any other app that can be exited when I'm done using it.

gsdavies
09-12-2006, 05:30 PM
Just a quick update - since starting this thread, the blackberry has been connected to a charger for all of about five minutes while I synch'd with Outlook. It's now over four days since getting a full charge. 50% battery left with similar usage.

Definitely something amiss with the way Opera runs on the BB..