PDA

View Full Version : Unlocked 8700g OS upgrades

neilr
09-08-2006, 01:23 PM
I've been looking through this forum and Pinst@<hidden>, but haven't quite found my answer.

I have an unlocked 8700g (originally from T-Mobile, now running on Cingular) that is running OS 4.1.0.284 (platform 2.0.0.120). I've read that I can install the OS upgrade from other carriers without endangering my BB.

Am I correct in understanding that a higher 3rd point revision number (.284 in this case) indicates a newer version of the OS? Is this true across carriers? Is there a non-carrier specific (presumably most recent) release of the OS? RIM only seems to offer carrier specific releases.

I have inconsistent access to a Windows PC, so I haven't been able to dig into the OS files yet. Is the oft mentioned .alx file (what is the full name/location of this file?) a text file, or do I need a hex editor to tweak with it? I am assuming that it exists on the PC, not the BB. Am I on track?

Thanks for the assistance. I've just jumped off the Treo cliff into the BB waters. :)

paulbblc
09-08-2006, 01:25 PM
Am I correct in understanding that a higher 3rd point revision number (.284 in this case) indicates a newer version of the OS? Is this true across carriers? Is there a non-carrier specific (presumably most recent) release of the OS? RIM only seems to offer carrier specific releases.

Yes you are correct. Check out the link below for more info on .alx files.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/ringtones-themes-wallpaper-discussion/28821-blackberry-alx-edited-files-packaged-theme-installation-4-1-only.html

Pizzle
09-08-2006, 02:01 PM
To answer your questions a bit more specifically:

- Yes, there are newer versions of the OS. Current newest is .351 (Bharti and Dobson, I believe)

- You can install any carrier OS on any 8700-series handheld, provided that you A) Delete the Vendor.xml file and B) replace the .alx file with one that jibi has edited (or you can edit the vendor info out yourself...this is if you want all the themes, etc.)

- You can edit an .alx yourself with Notepad. Pretty easy, really.

- Yup, the .alx file is on the PC.

Hope that helps!

neilr
09-12-2006, 02:11 PM
Thanks for the help. I've since updated my 8700g to the Bharti release.

New questions arise after the upgrade and browsing through the forums.

The javaloader app can be used to completely wipe the device. Is there any reason not to do this before doing an OS upgrade? I'm not concerned with preserving data and I had an odd issue (507 error) when I did the OS upgrade that went away after another go at the OS load.

I'm interpreting the version numbers on the linked .alx page to be (Vendor release version)/(Application version). Assuming this is correct, the parts that really matter (in terms of getting a particular version of the BB OS loaded) are the Application version and SW Platform version, yes?

I've read a bit of back and forth on using Telstra vs. Bharti with no definitive conclusion. At the moment, it looks like the Bharti release is newer than Telstra. Dobson is also newer than Telstra, but not as new as Bharti. Any comments on why one is preferable to another?

I've been playing with the themes. I rather like the Zen theme (listed as BB Dimension-Zen). This seems to be a Zen variant of Dimension. Is there just a straight (i.e. not a variation of another) Zen theme? I found Seattle18's page, but no clarity from it.