PDA

View Full Version : Will BB 8100 or 8800 be available through Bell Mobility in Toronto?

CarBob
09-09-2006, 05:38 PM
8-) Does anyone know if and when BB 8100 or BB 8800 (when it is released) will be available through Bell Mobility in Toronto?

Currently the 8100 will be available through Rogers sometime in October. (I really don't want to use Rogers as the carrier).

Any information would be appreciated.

CarBob

WorldIRC
09-09-2006, 05:51 PM
8100 is GSM only right now..

finch
09-09-2006, 06:09 PM
Next Bell Mobility BB will be the 8703e

CarBob
09-09-2006, 09:46 PM
Next Bell Mobility BB will be the 8703e
finch,

Thanks for the info re 8703e. Where did you find it? Thanks.
CarBob

p_dizzo
09-10-2006, 01:01 PM
this is one thread that mentions it. ;)

http://www.blackberryforums.com/rumor-mill/39198-8703e-coming-cdma.html

Pizzle
09-10-2006, 02:10 PM
Moving to Rumor Mill

markhutchison
09-10-2006, 04:40 PM
8-) Does anyone know if and when BB 8100 or BB 8800 (when it is released) will be available through Bell Mobility in Toronto? ...
Historically, there's about a year lag between RIM's GSM and CDMA hardware releases. Unless things change, we'll likely see a CDMA 8100 this time 2007.

rambo47
09-10-2006, 05:26 PM
I would think 6 months minimum before a CDMA version hits the streets. A year is far more likely though.

nsimpson
09-29-2006, 02:23 AM
Bell is such a boring company for devices. Dont expect it for longer than a year. usually their conversion rate is a year and a half, i mean geeze you guys recently got the v3 and then JUST are planning on getting the 8703? In the world of technology it changes soo much you might has well use brick phone or go into your bmw and use your car phone if you plan on staying with bell.

roofus
10-02-2006, 10:16 AM
Bell is slow in bringing out new toys however the problem with Rogers is that you get poor reception if you are more than 100 feet from a tower. Also, they tend to charge more than Bell.

thriller
10-02-2006, 10:50 AM
I beg to differ on how if you are 100 feet away from a tower the reception is not good. It also depends what is also in the area. Some lights in builds and homes cause the bad reception and interference, it has been shown that all these factors contribute to the reception. Also Rogers had an upgrade over the summer adding more coverage.

srotman
10-03-2006, 04:09 PM
just wanted to confirm bell WILL be receiving the 8703 soon. i was with my buddy who goes to waterloo last night and he also works with RIM. he used to have the 7100 series on rogers but last night showed me his new 8703. he was saying that he loved the EV-DO functionality over EDGE on rogers.

so i have seen it with my own eyes. it DIDNT say bell on it. but it was indeed a CDMA 8700 series berry.

so its just a matter of time which i cant imagine would be that long from now

but it doesnt apply to me cuz im all for GSM and therefore rogers :)

markhutchison
10-03-2006, 04:46 PM
just wanted to confirm bell WILL be receiving the 8703 soon.
Bell launched the 8703e on September 25th. Message me if you're looking for new or upgrade pricing.

Mark Hutchison
pin: 30154121
markhutchison@<hidden>

markhutchison
10-03-2006, 04:49 PM
Bell is such a boring company for devices ... you might has well use brick phone or go into your bmw and use your car phone if you plan on staying with bell.
Let's be fair here ... RIM produced a CDMA 87xx model in mid September and Bell had it on the shelves for the last week of September. It's not the CDMA carriers who dictate the GSM to CDMA development lag; it's just the reality of the global market.

srotman
10-03-2006, 04:56 PM
Bell launched the 8703e on September 25th. Message me if you're looking for new or upgrade pricing.

Mark Hutchison
pin: 30154121
markhutchison@<hidden>

..... not feeling stupid...... :oops:

see, i said i was a rogers user!

tomh009
10-05-2006, 05:24 AM
just wanted to confirm bell WILL be receiving the 8703 soon. i was with my buddy who goes to waterloo last night and he also works with RIM. he used to have the 7100 series on rogers but last night showed me his new 8703. he was saying that he loved the EV-DO functionality over EDGE on rogers.

EV-DO may be nice for web browsing, but for email it really doesn't matter one way or another. And CDMA versions are useless outside of North America (which does matter to me).

Now, I'd really like to get an 8800 from Rogers with UMTS support included -- that would help make it a true world phone. But based on the specs out there that doesn't look likely. :(

nsimpson
10-05-2006, 11:37 AM
Let's be fair here ... RIM produced a CDMA 87xx model in mid September and Bell had it on the shelves for the last week of September. It's not the CDMA carriers who dictate the GSM to CDMA development lag; it's just the reality of the global market.

Your completly right, they do have to wait until RIM makes the device.

But its them being on CDMA thats the issue, Rogers had the cojones to switch their network to be competitive why cant the others?

And as a consumer who is going to want the most out of their devices, its up to the general public to use their buying power to put an end to CDMA. If bell or telus or whomever recieved a strong message from their customers, that they will not buy something that is going to be outdated even before it reaches market they would try to do more in either outsourcing other CDMA devices or try to muster the strength and make the much needed switch to the global standard.

I dont want to bash any company, but i think its silly when we live in an ever evolving world of technology and we are settingling for an already old model. 8700 is out, 8800 is in (err at least at xmas time). I would feel better buying something a year later than the rest of the country got their GSM units if were going to heavily discount the unit then it would be better but, no its going to be priced on par with the other BB units.

I know americans feel the same way about this, we might not agree about the war in Iraq, but we can all solidly agree that the sooner we get our little gimped up hands (blackberry induced) on new product the happier we all will be.

On a side note, I think if everyone had a blackberry there would be no need for wars.

Good day Sir!

hmm
11-01-2006, 08:53 AM
Some lights in builds and homes cause the bad reception and interference, it has been shown that all these factors contribute to the reception. Also

You are joking I hope! Thats hilarious!(y)

RIM_Next_Door
11-05-2006, 10:57 AM
I was with Bell for over 12 years. I became "just a number in the money database." I switched to Rogers because of the new devices and hopefully a little more respect. Surprisingly (honestly), I have found Rogers support to be better. Very few issues. Rogers is definately the prefered network in Canada for businesses.

United WE stand.

markhutchison
11-05-2006, 04:11 PM
... But its them being on CDMA thats the issue, Rogers had the cojones to switch their network to be competitive why cant the others? ... its up to the general public to use their buying power to put an end to CDMA ...
And yet, the newest evolutions of GSM technology (HSPDA, for example) are, in fact, CDMA protocols ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WCDMA

mike_187
11-06-2006, 02:08 AM
And yet, the newest evolutions of GSM technology (HSPDA, for example) are, in fact, CDMA protocols ...

W-CDMA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WCDMA)

yep i was going to say the same thing. i use GSM however CDMA protocol is superior to GSM it is just not as wide spread. But as UMTS is being introduced for example in North America things will change. I'm just wondering what the pure CDMA companies are going to do.

supaaccord
01-05-2007, 05:39 AM
fyi - expect the rim 8800 for BM by late Q1 to early Q2 (around number portability time)...:smile:

Dark Knight
01-05-2007, 12:23 PM
But its them being on CDMA thats the issue, Rogers had the cojones to switch their network to be competitive why cant the others?

The reason I stay with Rogers is greater flexibility using GSM devices, more devices to choose from and great coverage across Canada. Though while I would like to see both Bell and Telus eventually switch over to GSM to make it more competitive in the Canadian market I believe both companies will ride the CDMA technology as long as they can.

CarBob
01-13-2007, 06:24 PM
The reason I stay with Rogers is greater flexibility using GSM devices, more devices to choose from and great coverage across Canada. Though while I would like to see both Bell and Telus eventually switch over to GSM to make it more competitive in the Canadian market I believe both companies will ride the CDMA technology as long as they can.

Dark Knight,

:oops: Hate to rain on your parade, but when I called BM on Jan. 11/07 to check on a charge on my bill, the rep. told me that Rogers is going to switch over to CDMA within 1 or 2 years.

Just so you know.

CarBob

markhutchison
01-13-2007, 07:24 PM
...Rogers is going to switch over to CDMA within 1 or 2 years.
Rogers has already launched their first UMTS data network in Ontario. While UMTS is, technically, a CDMA technology it is built on the WCDMA standard and will, therefore, continue to evolve parallel to the CDMA2000 networks that Bell Mobililty and Telus operate.

Stingy
04-02-2007, 01:57 AM
Oh yeah Bob, you are not the only one wondering....

*sigh*

Stingy
04-02-2007, 02:59 AM
I was with Bell for over 12 years. I became "just a number in the money database." I switched to Rogers because of the new devices and hopefully a little more respect. Surprisingly (honestly), I have found Rogers support to be better. Very few issues. Rogers is definately the prefered network in Canada for businesses.

United WE stand.

I know exactly what you mean about Rogers support, they indeed is way better plus it is easier to find blackberry relates section on rogers.com than it is on bell.ca. I was with rogers when I had 957 & 6750 until I ran into defict shortly after laid off from job.

Since then I got new job and start over fresh with Bell when purchased 7290 and then now 8703e.

But now with 8800 (or ball 8 lol) is coming to Rogers and I fail to see ball 8 in sight for Bell's market. I probably would end up pay off that old Rogers debt and buy out contract with Bell then rejoin Rogers for 8800.

But if it is actually coming to Bell soon, I might change my mind,,,

Hobbesgsr
04-02-2007, 09:26 AM
Bell Mobility will be getting the Verizon version of the 8800 (8830 dual CDMA GSM) .

See Verizon info here: BlackBerryCool BlackBerry 8830 rumour cycle begins (http://www.blackberrycool.com/2007/02/22/003684/)

Hobbesgsr
04-02-2007, 09:30 AM
See this too: BlackBerry Cyclone around the corner for Verizon? - Engadget Mobile (http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2007/03/28/blackberry-cyclone-around-the-corner-for-verizon/)

Stingy
04-03-2007, 10:47 PM
fyi - expect the rim 8800 for BM by late Q1 to early Q2 (around number portability time)...:smile:

??? what is Q1 or Q2? When is those? Please clarify