PDA

View Full Version : Blackberry sync with two outlook contact folders

peripatetic
09-10-2006, 10:28 PM
Hi,

I've been trying to figure out how to sync two Outlook contact folders with a Blackberry, and I'm sure there must be some software out there which will let me do it.

I'm working in an office where they have Exchange server (but not BES). One of the sales force lives on his Blackberry and refuses to take his laptop out of the office. He has his own personal contacts in his Outlook Contacts folder, and there is also a Company Shared contacts folder (an Exchange Public folder). He wants to sync both with his Blackberry, so that he can carry the contacts on the road.

I've tried two solutions so far. First of all there was an expensive piece of software from InControl called Team Contacts. This supposedly would have been the answer to our problem (after an extremely fiddly installation process) as it syncs bi-directionally over multiple folders. Great. Except it doesn't sync notes, which is where the company keeps all its info.

Next I tried to simplify things. I found a MS utility called Pocket Contact Synchronizer (PCS) which I managed to set up so that it synched the Public Shared Contacts into the sales person's Private Contacts. He could then sync that with his Blackberry using the normal method. This worked well for a bit until we noticed that PCS was deleting contacts, seemingly at random from his private contacts. You can imagine the earful I caught from that.

So, are there any other solutions to this problem? We've wasted about a month and several hundred dollars on this so far, and are no nearer to a solution to a very simple problem. BES is not an option as we can't justify the price for a single user.

shaqinsactown
09-11-2006, 01:22 AM
Did you check out desktop manager and go into the synchronize folders and try to just add the two?

Obviously you won't be able to wirelessly sync but in theory it should work

takeshi
09-11-2006, 07:41 AM
Just be sure to set his own contacts as the default contacts folder. Secondary folders are one-way sync, IIRC. We don't have anyone syncing to two contacts folders but we do have a number of people that sync two calendars. As shaqinsactown said, you must sync via USB.