PDA

View Full Version : T-Mobile disabled SMS over GPRS...?

jibi
03-09-2005, 01:32 PM
I have had my SMS over GPRS set for quite some time now. If you try to send a straight SMS message, it comes back with the error "Failed to send message - packet error". I noticed this trying to troubleshoot another issue (I do not use the IM client they offer). Anyhow, I know this method used to work fine, but you have to switch SMS options back to GSM in order for it to work properly (GPRS Preferred is only a redundant setting that will resort to GSM if GPRS is not available, so thats not really a valid straight-forward option to test on).

Can others test theirs to see if this is nationwide? I'm in GA.

Also, check to see if its affecting the IM client as well, for those who use it on the 7100 model...

jlopatin
03-09-2005, 01:38 PM
i know that in here in CHicago, T-Mobile GPRS has been unavailable since 8:30am. Sometimes the devices will show a gprs connection... sometimes they show GPRS, but usually they show GSM. data is not working at all.

T-Mobile has assured me they are working on the issue. Perhaps it affects you too...

bfrye
03-09-2005, 01:46 PM
We've been having problems in and near DC all day as well.

mchilders
03-09-2005, 01:56 PM
I noticed this awhile back here in St. Louis and when I was traveling in Colorado last month. I had to set it to GSM otherwise it would not send SMS messages. It does appear they are no longer allowing you to send SMS over GPRS. I haven't tried setting it back to GPRS for some time. Maybe I will give it a try again.

jibi
03-09-2005, 02:17 PM
i know that in here in CHicago, T-Mobile GPRS has been unavailable since 8:30am. Sometimes the devices will show a gprs connection... sometimes they show GPRS, but usually they show GSM. data is not working at all.

T-Mobile has assured me they are working on the issue. Perhaps it affects you too...

Not a GPRS issue with me. This is specific to the 'SMS over GPRS'. Its basically a way to get free SMS w/o having to pay extra for an unlimited SMS plan or the per SMS overage fees. Its how people get around having to pay for the IM clients that use SMS-based messaging to deliver messages.

The rep I spoke to stated that it was likely a billing issue that they disabled SMS over GPRS (i.e-people were 'cheating' the system with an available technological workaround). When I first questioned her about it, she said something along the lines of 'Nope, I have no idea why they would do that' almost in a manner that she didn't approve of the decision to do so. But she did know what I was talking about when I questioned the disabling.

I'm guessing this is will be permanently disabled, as well.

For the love of money...