PDA

View Full Version : Who will be the first to Unlock an 8100?

gfisher99
09-12-2006, 02:17 PM
In the past I have always used gsmphonesource for unlocking.. I see the 8100 is only listed under the $99 unlocking service.

It will be interesting to see who goes first, and what route they use to get it done.

Im most interested because I just ordered one and would like to put my Cingular SIM into it so I dont have to carry two BlackBerrys...

SlamMan
09-12-2006, 02:21 PM
I believe someone already did through GSMphonesource.

ceebz
09-12-2006, 02:21 PM
If I get mine tomorrow, I'll be unlocking it.

sroetter
09-12-2006, 02:22 PM
I jumped and bought one today. I have submitted my info to GSMphonesource for unlocking. They said I should have the code tomorrow.

LUVMSHAVD
09-12-2006, 02:24 PM
Cool keep us updated, is there anyway to get a 8100 with out the t-mobile logo on it

gfisher99
09-12-2006, 02:25 PM
I jumped and bought one today. I have submitted my info to GSMphonesource for unlocking. They said I should have the code tomorrow.

Do you have to use the $99 option?

snowskier79
09-12-2006, 02:26 PM
Seriously keep us updated

thesaint
09-12-2006, 02:54 PM
...any way to get a 8100 with out the t-mobile logo on it

saw this the other day.
www*.instructables.com/id/EFHU5V6TKYERIE2SMP/?ALLSTEPS
remove logos from mobile devices using sugar.

snowskier79
09-12-2006, 03:02 PM
saw this the other day.
www*.instructables.com/id/EFHU5V6TKYERIE2SMP/?ALLSTEPS
remove logos from mobile devices using sugar.

Interesting . . . 8700c not possible but still interesting.

Inphektion
09-12-2006, 03:46 PM
I just submitted 3 8100's to be unlocked by gsmphonesource. I plan on dropping cingular sim in them since coverage is much better in this area than tmo. I'll post back what happens.

YoYoSlap
09-12-2006, 05:45 PM
Just bought the 8100 and requested an unlock code from tmobile so i can use it on cingular. I have had many tmobile lines and am slowly phasing out to cingular. I have been using the 7130c and love it. as far as the unlocking goes tmobile claims i will get an email with the code within 24 hours.

I'll keep you updated.

how can i use the software disk on a mac????

sanjeevjoshi
09-12-2006, 05:54 PM
I got a 8100 today, and signed up thru Paypal with GSMPHONESOURCE to get the device unlocked. Love the device so far, amazingly stable for a first production build... and I actually had a 8700 before this.

(y)

gfisher99
09-12-2006, 06:05 PM
I got a 8100 today, and signed up thru Paypal with GSMPHONESOURCE to get the device unlocked. Love the device so far, amazingly stable for a first production build... and I actually had a 8700 before this.

(y)

I will ask again... Did you use the $99 option at gsmphonesource?

sanjeevjoshi
09-12-2006, 06:07 PM
Eom

jnelson2000
09-12-2006, 06:34 PM
Device is unlocked through gsmphonesource.com. Adam rules and is 100% right on the money. Using it with Cingular right now and all is fine. Great job Adam.

findmywife
09-12-2006, 07:14 PM
I really don't see how paying an extra 1/4 of the price (or more) to unlock the phone is worth it. :| I guess changing networks is nice but $99 is a lot.

SlamMan
09-12-2006, 09:55 PM
I really don't see how paying an extra 1/4 of the price (or more) to unlock the phone is worth it. :| I guess changing networks is nice but $99 is a lot.

I suppose it all depends on what it's worth to you to have the latest and greatest while still using a superior network.

heespharm
09-12-2006, 10:36 PM
yeah the price you pay for all the new toys

MooseBerry
09-12-2006, 11:03 PM
Device is unlocked through gsmphonesource.com. Adam rules and is 100% right on the money. Using it with Cingular right now and all is fine. Great job Adam.

Do you now have the cingular browser and is there a roaming indicator or anything like that?

heespharm
09-12-2006, 11:25 PM
oh sry... i'm still waiting for my code to come in.. dun worry As soon as I know... ya'll will know too

bradhs
09-12-2006, 11:27 PM
I picked up my 8100 in the afternoon at T-Mobile for $379.. Used a friends T-MO account and also sent the unlock request via his T-MO account ... Waiting for T-MO to provide code via E-Mail.. $99 is a lot for someone to just provide an unlock code. $25 should be more like it. Too bad not to many people have figured it out yet. Guess the codes are under some serious lock and key.

MooseBerry
09-13-2006, 12:08 AM
I just called T-Mo customer service and asked for my unlock code. T-Mo's going to email it to me. The cs rep didn't even ask why I wanted it.

gfisher99
09-13-2006, 12:22 AM
yeah the price you pay for all the new toys

Heh, Correction - The price my company pays to have me test all the new toys. I refuse to be inconvenienced by having to carry two BlackBerrys. Plus, this device will probably be sent around to all the C-Level folks in my firm as a demo to see if they want it. Some are on TMO, some on Cingular. Unlocking the device makes sense, at least for me, for many reasons.

Sure I think $99 is a little much, but if its the only way, its the only way. Since this is a new account, and I use Cingular, I dont have 3 months to wait so that TMO will unlock it for free.

I guess my company stock will drop 0.000000000000001% because of it, but Im not worried :)

Shughes
09-13-2006, 01:02 AM
so you can swap sims from a blackberry tmo to cing as long as you unlock the phone?

Synncere
09-13-2006, 01:32 AM
so you can swap sims from a blackberry tmo to cing as long as you unlock the phone?

If the handheld is unlocked then yes... you can use a Cingular sim card in the T Mobile's 8100.

rYno
09-13-2006, 03:38 AM
the tmo badge looks like a small sticker on mine... so.. I'm going to steal the GF's blo-dryer... see it that works with some goo-gone... never know... gotta be careful tho.. that shiney surface will dull quick!

happiicamper
09-13-2006, 10:01 AM
I unlocked mine last night... I am using it on the cingular network... It is working great... I just cant get the mms to work yet...

YoYoSlap
09-13-2006, 01:12 PM
Got the Pearl from tmobile yesterday and they sent me the unlock code today.

Using it on Cingular. Everything works great. emails,pins, sms, browsers. The MediaNet homepage even popped up by itself.

bradhs
09-13-2006, 04:48 PM
I requested the unlock yesterday mid-morning Pacific Time and still waiting ... Should I call T-Mobile and get a status update? If so, what # is best to call them on?

dj forge
09-13-2006, 05:25 PM
I just ordered mine from t-mo yesterday. i've had a line for 2 years but also have a cingular cell. If i'm reading all these posts correctly then all I have to do is call up customer service and they'll send an unlock code??

question for those that have unlocked for cingular use: do you still get a dedicated push email address? for example, what would have been address@<hidden> is now address@<hidden> that right?

heespharm
09-13-2006, 10:53 PM
okay here's what i did...

steps:
1. bought phone (obviously)
2. paid adam to unlock it
3. backed up my 7130c (there's a transfer setting option on the new desktop 4.2)
4. transferred said backup to the pearl
5. registered the HRT for cingular
6. Called cingular tech support and waited on hold for hours before which resulted in absolutely no info whatsoever about MMS
7. (important)- change your TCP settings in your options menu to:
wap.cingular
Apn: WAP@<hidden>
Pass: CINGULAR1
(must be capitalized)
everything works web, verichat, mms, voicemail, car, life, marriage.. you name it... it's solved (okay maybe not the last parts)

MooseBerry
09-14-2006, 02:04 AM
(important)- change your TCP settings in your options menu to:
wap.cingular
(must be capitalized)
everything works web, verichat, mms, voicemail, car, life, marriage.. you name it... it's solved (okay maybe not the last parts)

If only those last parts could be fixed by changing some settings...

bradhs
09-14-2006, 02:05 AM
What # did you call at TMO to get them to unlock it? The salesperson at TMO was the one who called and I've been waiting now for 48 hours. It seams, if you got your unlock code from TMO then I should of gotten mine around the same time.

I requested the unlock yesterday mid-morning Pacific Time and still waiting ... Should I call T-Mobile and get a status update? If so, what # is best to call them on?

TChachra
09-15-2006, 12:00 PM

steps:
3. backed up my 7130c (there's a transfer setting option on the new desktop 4.2)
6. Called cingular tech support and waited on hold for hours before which resulted in absolutely no info whatsoever about MMS
wap.cingular
(must be capitalized)
Hey Moose....

I cant get MMS to work with your settings.
Any help would be appreciated.

slevin
09-15-2006, 12:45 PM
where are you guys buying the device from? Tmo retail is 419 anyway to get it cheaper?

nigletsyz
09-15-2006, 01:28 PM
You guys that are unlocking the phone to run on the cingular network... I take it you have a subscription through cingular instead of t-mobile? I wouldn't be able to sign up with tmobile and unlock it for cingular without having service through cingular, right?

atisvt99
09-15-2006, 01:35 PM
You guys that are unlocking the phone to run on the cingular network... I take it you have a subscription through cingular instead of t-mobile? I wouldn't be able to sign up with tmobile and unlock it for cingular without having service through cingular, right?

That's correct... I've got an 8700c right now that I'll be de-siming and powering up on the 8100. Unlock codes are en-route via e-mail from T-Mobile... :)

Oh, I said codes since we have 3 new ones over here at my company.

pda luvr
09-16-2006, 12:09 AM
Whats Tmo's polilcy on unlock codes? I'm thinking of turning a $, unlocked 8100's are 500+ on ebay.

MooseBerry
09-16-2006, 02:32 AM
Hey Moose....

TC, those wern't my instructions they were heespharm's.

Just make sure you do what he said as well as register again via the host routing tables and when you change your email addresses on the cingular BIS screen also send your service books again. T-Mo doesn't have cingular's. Then, do a hard reset/battery pull. That got everything working for me.

Another cool thing is that I still have the T-Mo service book for Yahoo! messenger, so I have that working as well-on cingular's network!

MooseBerry
09-16-2006, 02:45 AM
Double post-sorry!

wu1000k
09-16-2006, 05:57 PM
Hey Moose....

Hey, on a related question -- I followed the instructions above for migrating my 8700c settings/apps to the 8100 (btw, my 8700c is serviced by BES, and the IT policy allows full HTML browsing). Everything seems to be working in order except for one thing -- now the brower configuration will only allow me to set the Content Mode to WML mode (there is no option to select HTML). Any advice on how to get enable option to set the browser content mode to HTML?

thanks

Digital Dude
09-16-2006, 06:39 PM
Earlier this week, GSMphonesource posted on this forum that he lowered his price to either $75.
Regards,

wu1000k
09-16-2006, 08:08 PM
Earlier this week, GSMphonesource posted on this forum that he lowered his price to either $75.
Regards,

Actually, if you go to the website, it's at $55 for the Pearl. I ordered mine on Friday early afternoon and I got the unlock code later that night -- very quick turnaround.

damianp67
09-16-2006, 08:11 PM
Can I swap SIM cards from my 8700c on my work's BES to a 8100 for the weekends and not screw up my BES settings?
I would assume my work emails wont work(unless I authorize it via the Desktop manager software). I should be able to get pop3 mail fine though, correct?

Any feedback on how this will affect my 8700c and BES, would be great.

vdoman
09-16-2006, 09:37 PM
Unlocked my 8100 using GSMPHONESOURSE service. all went fine. Phone, browser etc seem to work fine on Cingular now but i can not connect to my microsoft exchange server for emails. Does my connection to my exchange server have to be reconfigured? anyone have any troubleshooting suggestions?

wu1000k
09-17-2006, 12:12 AM
Unlocked my 8100 using GSMPHONESOURSE service. all went fine. Phone, browser etc seem to work fine on Cingular now but i can not connect to my microsoft exchange server for emails. Does my connection to my exchange server have to be reconfigured? anyone have any troubleshooting suggestions?
If you are on BES you will probably need to get a new enterprise activation code from your provider (IT department, etc) since you have now switched devices.

happiicamper
09-17-2006, 08:46 AM
"when you change your email addresses on the cingular BIS screen also send your service books again"

I know how to do the host routing tables but how do you do the other two things listed above?

thanks

vdoman
09-17-2006, 06:16 PM
If you are on BES you will probably need to get a new enterprise activation code from your provider (IT department, etc) since you have now switched devices.
Thanks for your help. I figured that might be the issue. Also i can't seem to get reliable internet connections meaning: if i open Cingular's browser and go to my MediaNet home page all loads fast and fine. But when i try to use GOTO it's 50/50 whether the pages will load or i will get a connection error message. Also SMS says they were sent but people aren't getting them. How much do I have to reconfig . I am not new to BB's but i have to admit i am lost when it comes to unloacking phones then knowing how many things has to be reset to work on Cingular rather then Tmobile. Thanks

fesar
12-19-2006, 08:37 AM
I bought my BlackBerry Pearl from Airtel India, and I had requested my provider Airtel for unlock code and got the code in 3 days time and now my Pearl is unlocked and using the BlackBerry service from Hutch in India

Regards,
Fesar.

movenpuck
12-19-2006, 04:02 PM
Wish i could use an unlocked pearl on my Nextel network. I would be worth it to me even without the direct connect. F' it !

SirCharles
12-21-2006, 08:21 AM
I'm a little confused here...
So, after reading this thread, to my understanding there are two ways you can unlock your Pearl:-
(a) through GSMPhoneSource for $55. It's some code he sends that you enter into your BB?
OR
(b) call up TMo and they give you that same code for free (although it takes a longer turnaround time)?

Now, is it a unique/different code for each BlackBerry device out there? B/c if not, someone could just post the code on here

thx

shanedsouza
03-24-2007, 05:55 AM
I bought my BlackBerry Pearl from Airtel India, and I had requested my provider Airtel for unlock code and got the code in 3 days time and now my Pearl is unlocked and using the BlackBerry service from Hutch in India

Regards,
Fesar.

How did you manage to get your unlock code.. they refused my request!?

skateboarder873
03-24-2007, 01:42 PM
i already unlocked mine, the day i got it...just called cingular and they did it for me.

Orange27
03-25-2007, 09:29 PM

steps:
wap.cingular
(must be capitalized)

Just tried this after using gsmphonesource for the unlock and cingular customer service not being able to help when I wasn't able to go on the web. Phone works perfectly now.

THANKS!

churchill
03-26-2007, 03:50 AM
Tmo gave me my unlock code months ago, however it did take them about 3 days to get it, unlocked it and everythigs been fine since then. I Have been a tmo customer since '92 and all I told them was that I wanted intl capability to switch sims as necessary, so the thought that was fine. Even gave me some advice as who to use in europe

mustangberry
03-26-2007, 07:00 AM
hey all,

I just got my cingular BB 8100 unlocked for $35
I went on the website unlockblackberry.mobi
I looked at the site from my BB, all i had to do was email
them my IMEI #, and i got back an unlock code that same day
my 8100 pearl is unlocked...it was easy

Yogi
03-26-2007, 12:11 PM
I unlocked my 8100 thru an ebay seller for $18. And my phone was locked to some unknown service provider in Argentina. It took three days but worked like a charm! So much for the $99 service...

Deagletime
03-27-2007, 12:11 AM
I called T-MO told them I'm in the military and us guys & gals are prone to travel...hence the need to unlock. Sent me the email the next day and had it unlocked within 5 minutes after that. 8-)

dcsmrgun
03-29-2007, 02:56 PM
I've been with T-Mo for over a year now and am completely off contract. I just called them and told them that I'd like to use the phone in my upcoming trip to Europe and they had no problem submitting my request.

I have a 7290 that I was hoping to unlock and take with me as a backup, but apparently T-Mo will only unlock one handset on a line within a 90 day period :(

amardeep
04-16-2007, 05:46 AM
Hello Shane, have u managed to unlock your bb8100, as i also need to get mine unlocked from Airtel. Have emailed them, thsy have not responded.

How did you manage to get your unlock code.. they refused my request!?

dukevim
04-16-2007, 10:06 AM
I got mine unlocked by Vodafone (UK), and have switched it to O2, just over a month ago. I just had to e-mail Vodafone business contact, then they sent me the unlock code (I think it cost £25) - no instructions though. O2, had no idea what to do (apparently they have got rid of their Blackberry support department - so maybe I'm the only user?), took a fair amount of searching on Google before I could even work out what to do with the code.

Has worked pretty well since, no problems, and auto-updated all the settings.

Mandizzle
04-16-2007, 06:03 PM
Anyone had any luck getting unlock codes from Rogers?