PDA

View Full Version : keyboard unlock bug

izmarkie
09-12-2006, 03:16 PM
On my 7100t, double clicking the wheel when the keyboard was locked unlocked it (after bringing up the unlock, emergency call, cancel dialog).

Clicking the trackball when the keyboard's locked brings up the same menu, but it doesn't allow you to select the unlock option. It kind of makes sense because the button's on the front now, but shouldn't that be an option? Am I missing something?

Zro
09-12-2006, 04:22 PM
This sounds more like a feature so that when it's in your pocket it doesn't doubleclick the ball and unlock it.

But that's just my $0.02

Zro

stevew
09-13-2006, 12:13 AM
On my 7100t, double clicking the wheel when the keyboard was locked unlocked it (after bringing up the unlock, emergency call, cancel dialog).

Clicking the trackball when the keyboard's locked brings up the same menu, but it doesn't allow you to select the unlock option. It kind of makes sense because the button's on the front now, but shouldn't that be an option? Am I missing something?
Your BB has a trackball?

johnliptak
08-23-2007, 01:43 PM
OK, so it's not a trackball, technically I guess it would be the side wheel, but your point is valid. I had an older version of the blackberry os / firmware. Clicking the wheel while the screen was locked presented a dialog with 3 options: Unlock, Emergency Call, and Cancel. Selecting "Unlock" from this dialog did what was expected and unlocked the device.

Then I upgraded to the latest software for the device. Now, I'm still presented with the same dialog when I click the wheel, but if I select the "Unlock" option it tells me the "keypad is locked" and I must hit the "*" / "phone button" combination to unlock it. Basically the unlock option in the dialog is now broken and this is very frustrating. It's much easier to click the wheel twice then hit the dang key combo.

Does anyone know if BB ever provides fixes for things like this? Is there a place that I should report it?

John Clark
08-23-2007, 01:48 PM
That is just the way the 4.2 OS's work. It's supposed to prevent accidental unlockings. I doubt there is a fix to something RIM added as a feature. I would be surprised if it ever changed again.

izmarkie
08-23-2007, 01:57 PM
LOLS. Forgot I even posted this (the day the pearl came out).

johnliptak
08-23-2007, 04:04 PM
Hey John, thanks for the quick reply. Bummer for me. I never seemed to accidentally unlock it this way and enjoyed the old functionality.

Honestly, it is still kind of a bug, though. When I click the wheel and make the selection called "Unlock", I would expect it to do just that ... "Unlock". Instead it tells me the "Keypad is locked". Well, I know that, that is exactly why I selected "Unlock". I really got used to using the wheel with my right hand to unlock the darn thing ... my fat fingers can hardly reach the key combo on the "far" side of the phone.

BTW, my apologies to the original post. I was clueless on the “trackball” mention, didn't realize you were talking about a Pearl.

John Clark
08-23-2007, 04:10 PM
Currently pressing * + phone button is the only way to unlock the keyboard.