PDA

View Full Version : 2 GB microSD card FAILURE

deezmfnutz
09-12-2006, 07:45 PM
Well its official I am unable to get my 2 GB microSD card to work in the 8100. When I put the card in and put the battery back in the phone goes into an error loop where the screen will flicker bright white for one second and then the LED will blick once RED. Anybody have any bright ideas? Anyone know how to partition a microSD card?

nickbee
09-12-2006, 09:14 PM
Well its official I am unable to get my 2 GB microSD card to work in the 8100. When I put the card in and put the battery back in the phone goes into an error loop where the screen will flicker bright white for one second and then the LED will blick once RED. Anybody have any bright ideas? Anyone know how to partition a microSD card?

Great!! I have a 2 gig card on order but it has not come in yet. I guess I'll be getting a 1 gig card also unless there is a way to knock down the 2 giger..

ollywompus
09-12-2006, 09:25 PM

Not sure how to do it on Windows, as I don't use it, but it's definitely doable, as I've done it from the command line in linux. Theoretically, if you partition it into a fat partition and some other partition, it'll only read the fat... you lose the space, which sucks, but at least the card is useable.

-olly

deezmfnutz
09-12-2006, 09:46 PM
Not sure how to do it on Windows, as I don't use it, but it's definitely doable, as I've done it from the command line in linux. Theoretically, if you partition it into a fat partition and some other partition, it'll only read the fat... you lose the space, which sucks, but at least the card is useable.

-olly

Will try to partition with knoppix when I get a chance....

nickbee
09-13-2006, 08:49 AM
ok,, but I guess this means getting a card reader that I don't need,,, ick,, A how to on this would be good...

brmcguire
09-13-2006, 09:45 AM
Didn't BG say there was a 1G limit?

madagi
09-13-2006, 09:51 AM
T-Mobile is saying it's a 2GB limit. I just got an e-mail from TMO yesterday advertising the Pearl... in the list of features it says:

"64-MB built-in flash memory, expandable to an additional 2 GB with MicroSD card"

ollywompus
09-13-2006, 10:35 AM
T-Mobile is saying it's a 2GB limit. I just got an e-mail from TMO yesterday advertising the Pearl... in the list of features it says:

"64-MB built-in flash memory, expandable to an additional 2 GB with MicroSD card"

As usual, the carriers know little to nothing about their own phones lol.

Oh, and I can't say this enough, DON'T buy cards from T-Mobile (for anyone who was tempted to) because they are SOOOO overpriced.

-olly

findmywife
09-13-2006, 10:50 AM
I use microsd cards for NDS programming and often past 1GB you have to repartition it into smaller partitions to get it working with different firmwares, or format it into FAT or FAT32 depending.

I just use a card reader and some readily available free tools. You could try that. There doesn't seem to be any info on what filesystem is required for the pearl (that I can find).

deezmfnutz
09-13-2006, 11:52 AM
I use microsd cards for NDS programming and often past 1GB you have to repartition it into smaller partitions to get it working with different firmwares, or format it into FAT or FAT32 depending.

I just use a card reader and some readily available free tools. You could try that. There doesn't seem to be any info on what filesystem is required for the pearl (that I can find).

My laptop has a built in SD card reader so it ain't no thing to mount and mess with the card. I already tried FAT and FAT32. Both failed the exact same way. I still have not found out how to make a smaller partition with SD card. MS XP does not allow access to the SD card with the Disk Manager utility. Does anyone know of a good application or utility to partition a SD card under WinXP?

I will try to partition with linux/knoppix this weekend but that will be a much longer project........

Jagga
09-13-2006, 12:55 PM
Anyone think of formatting to FAT16?!

OR reducing the BLOCK size in FAT32; betchya the latter will be critical.

findmywife
09-13-2006, 01:14 PM
The best thing is to find out the required spec from RIM. Or you can trial and error it :)

When I said "FAT" I meant FAT16. Either 16 or 32 might work. And the block size is a good idea too.

You should be able to partition it from the disk manager.

nickbee
09-13-2006, 01:17 PM
Hey Deez!

Want to dumby down my too once you figure this all out? :)

robbyf
09-13-2006, 02:20 PM
it would just be a software fix to have it expand to 4gb or what ever size anyways.. am i right?

nickbee
09-13-2006, 02:24 PM
it would just be a software fix to have it expand to 4gb or what ever size anyways.. am i right?

Yes,, but who knows when this is going to happen. I would like a temporary fix so I can use the 2 gig card I’m getting in the mail any day now..

deezmfnutz
09-13-2006, 06:29 PM
The best thing is to find out the required spec from RIM. Or you can trial and error it :)

When I said "FAT" I meant FAT16. Either 16 or 32 might work. And the block size is a good idea too.

You should be able to partition it from the disk manager.

Does anyone know how to read anymore :-)

As I said in my post, very clearly I thought, I have tried the card with both FAT(yes FAT 16) and FAT 32, both failed.

MS Disk Utility/Tool DOES NOT mount the SD card a drive to partition, maybe I am doing something wrong? Thoughts? Specifically, on partitioning the microSD card into smaller partitions, easily?

MorningZ
09-13-2006, 07:18 PM
I am wondering if you've seen the official FAQ for the 8100

Which for "SD Card Failure" (http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/8021/7925/1269203/Known_Issues_-_SDCard_block_length_is_unsupported.html?nodeid=1269110&vernum=0) says clear as day:

================================================
You receive the following error when using a 2 GB microSD™ memory card with a BlackBerry Pearl 8100 smartphone:

SDCard block length is unsupported.

The BlackBerry Pearl 8100 smartphone supports memory cards with up to 1GB storage capacity.

This is a previously reported issue that has been escalated internally to our development team. No resolution time frame is currently available

There are two obvious things here:
- T-Mobile's marketing dept was incorrect in printing the 2 gig capability
- It's not going to work

Good luck anyways.....

deezmfnutz
09-13-2006, 09:38 PM
I am wondering if you've seen the official FAQ for the 8100

Which for "SD Card Failure" (http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/8021/7925/1269203/Known_Issues_-_SDCard_block_length_is_unsupported.html?nodeid=1269110&vernum=0) says clear as day:

You receive the following error when using a 2 GB microSD™ memory card with a BlackBerry Pearl 8100 smartphone:

SDCard block length is unsupported.

The BlackBerry Pearl 8100 smartphone supports memory cards with up to 1GB storage capacity.

This is a previously reported issue that has been escalated internally to our development team. No resolution time frame is currently available

There are two obvious things here:
- T-Mobile's marketing dept was incorrect in printing the 2 gig capability
- It's not going to work

Good luck anyways.....

Yes yes we are not complete uninformed dumb asses, we know that RIM says the phone does not support the 2GB cards but we are trying to see if there is any way to get the phone to work with the cards if they are partitioned into smaller volumes...thank you for your help, next please.

NotReallyB
09-14-2006, 09:23 PM
I know everybody wants the biggest/best cards right now, but if you want a cheap solution buy.com has the Kingston 512 MicroSD on sale right now for $12.95 after MIR. Make sure you buy the right card though and don't accidentally choose a MiniSD.

Let's hope RIM puts out an OS upgrade soon to allow 2GB cards. I also read that SD has a 4GB MicroSD card coming out soon.

Jagga
09-14-2006, 10:45 PM
Does anyone know how to read anymore :-)

As I said in my post, very clearly I thought, I have tried the card with both FAT(yes FAT 16) and FAT 32, both failed.

MS Disk Utility/Tool DOES NOT mount the SD card a drive to partition, maybe I am doing something wrong? Thoughts? Specifically, on partitioning the microSD card into smaller partitions, easily?

yes ppl read ... but when you say FAT and talking about memory cards you cannot ASSUME that us new kids to file system can remember working DAILY in ONLY FAT16 as the ONLY FAT talked about pre 1986? days. We ALL offered our collective HELP; as you stated you're not or we're not dumb-asses; you DID miss the meaning of the error originally. Stating does anyone read anymore, can be taken as an insult to some. We're all trying to help.

Maybe we need more information from RIM regarding the MicroSD card port.

deezmfnutz
09-15-2006, 09:13 PM

Well I was finally able to partition my 2GB microSD card. I split it into two equal partitions. Still complete failure, the Pearl failed to boot same red LED error.

I am out of ideas, I think those of us with 2GB cards are SOL until RIM fixes this problem...........IF they fix the problem.......

ZappoMan
12-25-2006, 03:38 PM
In case anyone else finds this forum post looking for a solution to the 2GB problem. According to BlackBerry, the problem is fixed in the 4.2.0.64 version of the handset software.

More details at the blackberry dot com knowledgecenter

rivviepop
12-25-2006, 04:22 PM
I can confirm -- .064 indeed solves the problem, a 2g SanDisk works just fine now.

glennjr15
06-10-2007, 09:19 PM
Just got a 2GB MicroSD card for my Pearl, but when in Desktop Manager > Media Manager, it lists the size of the card as only 970MB. Has anyone else had this problem?

I have the latest Blackberry software installed in my phone, and am confused about this. Also, what is the deal with "mass media mode".

Thanks in advance...

agarneau001
11-11-2007, 11:06 AM
RIM indicates this is a known problems with only the first release of the software on 8100s. If your software version is v4.2.0.42, you will need to upgrade. The support site has all the details:

BlackBerry Search Results (http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB05422&sliceId=SAL_Public&dialogID=64878899&stateId=1%200%2064876903)

arg

kofman13
11-11-2007, 01:07 PM
zzzZzz i bought a 2gb micro sd card and it works fine in my pearl ~_~