PDA

View Full Version : Free Ebooks on your Blackberry

cdysthe
09-13-2006, 07:27 AM
Hi,

I have seen a lot of commercial Ebooks for the Blackberry lately. However, what I have been doing in this regard is free and works perfectly on my 8700g:

Go to The Gutenberg Project (http://www.gutenberg.org/) on your desktop/laptop computer

Find what you want among tons of free books. Download the zipped html version of the book. Email the ebook to yourself and open the zipped attachment on you Blackberry. Voilą! You've got a nicely formatted Ebook displayed in your browser. You can leaf through it while reading by hitting "Space" which takes you down one screen of text at a time. It gives you a comfortable continuous reading experience.

I have read a lot of books this way when I travel and elsewhere, and have had no problems with it.

If this is known to you guys I am sorry for ranting about it. If not: Enjoy! :)

//C

KOR
09-13-2006, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the info - works surprisingly well.

vincentnyc
09-13-2006, 11:32 AM
does it remember where the last page you read?

cdysthe
09-13-2006, 11:38 AM

I have not looked into that since I mostly keep it open until I'm done. I will look into it as soon as time permits.

//C

cdysthe
09-13-2006, 11:44 AM

I have not looked into that since I mostly keep it open until I'm done. I do not think it's possible though, so you would have to keep track of where you left off some other way. However, you can use the "Table of Contents" attachment view to get to a given part of a compilation of books. For instance if you download the complete Sherlock Holmes you can go directly to each story that way.

If someone could think up some sort of bookmark feature for this it would be perfect.

//C

tommyboy
09-13-2006, 06:42 PM
It is a lot easier to use Mobibook and import the ebook. Then you will have an ebook reader with bookmarks

DrunkMans
09-13-2006, 06:54 PM
ups...sorry(( not correct topic i'm too drunk... I'm Genrich Shilyaev...
fcuk

sorry arain

cdysthe
09-13-2006, 07:08 PM
It is a lot easier to use Mobibook and import the ebook. Then you will have an ebook reader with bookmarks

I do not think Mobibook is free though. Yes, you would get bookmarks and such, but for a free solution I think the web load of the book works fine. For me at least.

I will take a look at Mobibook and see if it's worth buying, but I won't if the only thing I get is bookmarks.

//C

DocGo
09-13-2006, 07:44 PM
The Mobibook reader (for the blackberry) itself is free. There are some free ebooks but most of the books there are for sale.

cdysthe
09-13-2006, 09:03 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I am not able to find the free Mobibook reader. Could you please point me in the right direction? Also, can I read all kinds of ebooks with, like the ones from the Gutenberg Project?

PaCharger
09-13-2006, 09:19 PM
pretty cool, another great part about this site....already got one on the 8700c and might have to play with it to get used to what font, style, etc lends itself to longer term reads.

thanks for sharing.

cdysthe
09-13-2006, 09:20 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I am not able to find the free Mobibook reader. Could you please point me in the right direction? Also, can I read all kinds of ebooks with, like the ones from the Gutenberg Project?

tony597fitter
09-13-2006, 11:41 PM
mobipocket.com
download the desktop software and go from there.
good luck