PDA

View Full Version : 7105T in Asia

littlebuddha
09-13-2006, 10:20 PM
Hi All,

I'm planning on taking my unlocked 7105T to Vietnam. I'm sure the phone part will work without a problem. What I'm concerned with is getting email while I'm there. Does anyone have experience with this? Sorry if similar questions have been asked before. I'm a newbie to this forum. I'm not on a BES. I just need to get my Yahoo or Gmail email on the phone while I'm in Vietnam.

Thanks!
LB

NJBlackBerry
09-13-2006, 10:23 PM
Welcome to BBForums!

Who is your carrier? Most of them have web sites showing their roaming agreements.

littlebuddha
09-13-2006, 10:28 PM
Thank you for the prompt reply! My carrier is T-Mobile. I'd rather not use their roaming service, even if it's available in Vietnam, because it would be very costly. If I get a SIM card over there, I'd be accessing the local cell phone provider. I don't imagine I'd be able to use email just by popping in the SIM card though, right? Would I need to sign up for some kind of data plan like here in the US?

-LB

NJBlackBerry
09-13-2006, 10:32 PM
Local SIM cards will only provide you with voice and SMS. You will most likely NOT be able to get a BlackBerry Data Plan on a local (Vietnamese) SIM card.

You may not have any choice but to use the T-Mobile SIM cards and pay the roaming charges.

archiberry
09-16-2006, 12:43 AM
I use a local sim card for voice messages, and pop back my t-mobile sim to read and write emails a couple of times a day. It takes a few minutes for the phone to start-up each time, but it is not costly. My charges were a few cents a day. Alternatively, you can also add T-mobile's unlimited world email plan--that would allow you unlimited emailing--just don't use the phone, that's prob. 2.99 a minute in Vietnam!

Make sure you get the phone unlocked before you leave. T-Mo will give you the codes..