PDA

View Full Version : Exclusive First Look - Official BlackBerry IM Clients (AIM, MSN, ICQ)

jibi
09-14-2006, 12:47 AM
These do not work, as of yet (please re-read that sentence once again). It appears most of these are almost final, and carrier implementation should start at some point (likely before year end). I'm going to guess that the MSN client is released first, followed by the AIM and ICQ clients (these should be released at the same time).

As seen in the screenshots, these are going to be available in the following locations (subject to change) once they are released (again, subject to carrier compatibility and exclusivity agreements):

MSN: www.blackberry.com/msnmessenger (http://www.blackberry.com/msnmessenger)
AIM: www.blackberry.com/aim (http://www.blackberry.com/aim)
ICQ: www.blackberry.com/icq (http://www.blackberry.com/icq)

NOTE: These are NOT available for download, for use, or anything along those lines. Even if you had the clients loaded on your handhelds, THEY WOULD NOT WORK! NO REQUESTS!

http://www.twoeighteighty.com/bbim/8100-01-Instant_Messenger.png http://www.twoeighteighty.com/bbim/8100-02-Instant_Messenger.png http://www.twoeighteighty.com/bbim/8100-03-Instant_Messenger.png

http://www.twoeighteighty.com/bbim/8100-04-Instant_Messenger.png http://www.twoeighteighty.com/bbim/8100-05-MSN.png http://www.twoeighteighty.com/bbim/8100-06-MSN.png

http://www.twoeighteighty.com/bbim/8100-07-AIM.png http://www.twoeighteighty.com/bbim/8100-08-ICQ.png

http://www.twoeighteighty.com/bbim/8100-09-MSN.png http://www.twoeighteighty.com/bbim/8100-10-AIM.png http://www.twoeighteighty.com/bbim/8100-11-ICQ.png

shaqinsactown
09-14-2006, 01:57 AM
Sweet I can't wait to check them out, I know most of my customers want a real featured AIM client

rjw3000
09-14-2006, 02:15 AM
Finally! Been waiting for the MSN one forever.

athenslb57
09-14-2006, 07:19 AM
Jibi, you headed down for the LSU game?

jibi
09-14-2006, 08:07 AM
Jibi, you headed down for the LSU game?
Yep, I have season tickets. Going down tomorrow night and hitting up Sky Bar for a few beers and tailgating a bit then getting a 7:30 AM start on Saturday.

rambo47
09-14-2006, 08:45 AM
The individual page links are kaput. Are these clients going to use data or SMS's?

Boy Genius
09-14-2006, 08:46 AM
Data. Just like Yahoo, and Google Talk

adamlau
09-14-2006, 11:11 AM
Sweet. Will the client(s) support connections to the carrier/RIM or direct connections? Single or multi socket?

ceebz
09-14-2006, 11:12 AM
Any word on whether the MSN client will be XBL aware?

jibi
09-14-2006, 11:54 AM
No further information known aside from what was posted, short of what we already know due to the releases of Google Talk and Yahoo IM clients (such as data not SMS-based).

jibi
09-14-2006, 11:55 AM
Sweet. Will the client(s) support connections to the carrier/RIM or direct connections? Single or multi socket?
I'm guessing they will connect to RIM/carrier then to the networks. Also guessing they will be single-socket until they have a converged IM client (if ever ...seems like a logical step).

morrow95
09-14-2006, 12:14 PM
Finally. I have been searching for a full featured AIM for sometime and haven't been happy with any of the data apps I've installed yet.

Those screenshots look like they are off a Pearl - is that correct?

Any word on if they will incorporate custom away messages, buddy info, etc? Those are the main features I am trying to find at the moment.

Eric5273
09-14-2006, 12:24 PM
I saw where you said they are "subject to carrier compatibility". So that means they will only work on certain carriers?

I think now I will have to wait before purchasing a new Blackberry. Somehow I have a feeling that T-Mobile will block them since T-Mobile uses the OZ IM program and that uses SMS. They would lose a lot of revenue by offering this.

Are these programs going to be available for download on any blackberry or will they be bundled on new handhelds only?

jibi
09-14-2006, 01:03 PM
Those screenshots look like they are off a Pearl - is that correct?yes.

Any word on if they will incorporate custom away messages, buddy info, etc? Those are the main features I am trying to find at the moment.see note above - no further information known.

I saw where you said they are "subject to carrier compatibility". So that means they will only work on certain carriers?Possibly, correct. For example, some carriers, such as T-Mobile, weren't initially included on the Yahoo IM. Cingular still avoids this particular client. This is usually driven by currently available SMS-based profitable IM clients rather than giving the consumers what they want. I was very surprised to see T-Mobile support the Yahoo client, especially since they turned off 'SMS over GPRS' early in the 7100's lifespan due to the inability to charge you for SMS messages used through their IM client (as well as normal SMS messages). Keep in mind that carriers make an absolute fortune off the out-sourcing of relatively cheap SMS gateway services. All too often, the end-user/consumer is overlooked when it comes to a company's bottom-line.

Are these programs going to be available for download on any blackberry or will they be bundled on new handhelds only?I'm sure any, as there are mono clients available as well. Not sure on the requirements, though.

headtailgrep
09-14-2006, 05:45 PM
Good work jibi! Question though: These ARE public clients, for use by non-corporate clients right?

I had a feeling some of the MSN support was only through BES, working with say, Microsoft corporate "MSN" server..

itsj
09-14-2006, 07:33 PM
nice find
that looks awesome, cant wait to get my 8703 from verizon hopefully this will be updated soon and i could take advantage of the im clients.

phillyslickster
09-14-2006, 08:33 PM
This is great to hear that our voices are finally heard. I'd actually like to see how this will play out at T-Mobile as well since T-Mobile uses the OZ client for instant messaging.

Eric5273
09-14-2006, 09:09 PM
cant wait to get my 8703 from verizon hopefully this will be updated soon and i could take advantage of the im clients.

I was thinking this as well.

jibi
09-14-2006, 09:29 PM
Good work jibi! Question though: These ARE public clients, for use by non-corporate clients right?These are the IM clients for the public IM clouds, for use by anyone (subject to carrier availability, of course).

I had a feeling some of the MSN support was only through BES, working with say, Microsoft corporate "MSN" server..Microsoft's Live Communications Server interacts with an end-user using Windows Messenger 5.1 or Office Communicator 2005. The BES side of this is LCS Enterprise Messenger (1.1.11 for Windows Messenger in BES 4.1.1; 1.1.17 for Office Communicator in BES 4.1.2) - you'll notice this client on my applications list (it's named the same for both versions).

MSN, or Windows Live Messenger, is a completely different platform (to an extent) and uses Microsoft's public IM cloud. With that said, there is also a federation option for Office Communicator/LCS that allows connectivity to the various networks' public IM clouds in order to have interoperability with all of the major IM services (AIM, MSN, and Yahoo) through the Office Communicator client. This would add a corporate level solution for the various IM services and any security and audit/logging requirements, if you choose to enable such features. This can get rather expensive for large LCS rollouts, but most large corporations have done so (including mine).

brettmeyerowitz
09-15-2006, 03:03 AM
What theme is the blackberry shown using? Its great!

jibi
09-15-2006, 09:57 AM
What theme is the blackberry shown using? Its great!
T-Mobile Zen, from the 8100

Proth3uS
09-15-2006, 10:15 AM
they gonna cost anything?

AnthroMatt
09-15-2006, 10:34 AM
Yep, I have season tickets. Going down tomorrow night and hitting up Sky Bar for a few beers and tailgating a bit then getting a 7:30 AM start on Saturday.
Please beat LSU!

(sorry for off-topic content)

jibi
09-15-2006, 10:44 AM
they gonna cost anything?
In the past, they haven't... I don't see this changing.

jibi
09-15-2006, 10:45 AM
Please beat LSU!

(sorry for off-topic content)
I have a good feeling about this weekend. Go over to the Off-Topic forum on here - we have a HUGE thread dedicated to college football, and there are a few of your fellow Gator brethren in there.

moosehead
09-15-2006, 10:55 AM
Jibi thx for the info! Looking forward to it.

drgoodtymes
09-15-2006, 12:34 PM
These will be great once released. Thanks again Jibi for the first hand look

flash24
09-15-2006, 12:41 PM
awesome... :D

turgidennui
09-16-2006, 11:25 PM
I guess these instant messaging program was suppose to be on the pearl on release date but got pushed back for some reason... I found built in sound control for these programs (I'm using the t-mobile Zen) so for those of you that are curious... just go to "Profiles" then "Advanced..." then hit the menu button and hit "edit" (on any profile I'm assuming) and if you scroll down you'll see "New IM - AIM... ICQ... MSN... Yahoo!" (P.S. I didn't do a search so if anyone else cover this already I apologize...)

morrow95
09-17-2006, 04:11 AM
I guess these instant messaging program was suppose to be on the pearl on release date but got pushed back for some reason... I found built in sound control for these programs (I'm using the t-mobile Zen) so for those of you that are curious... just go to "Profiles" then "Advanced..." then hit the menu button and hit "edit" (on any profile I'm assuming) and if you scroll down you'll see "New IM - AIM... ICQ... MSN... Yahoo!" (P.S. I didn't do a search so if anyone else cover this already I apologize...)

Those would be for the OZ program that comes pre-installed on the Pearl.

jibi
09-17-2006, 12:55 PM
Those would be for the OZ program that comes pre-installed on the Pearl.
You're correct, but I also think his assumption is correct as well (just not the evidence to cooberate the assumption). Just not for the 8100, though. I don't see T-Mobile giving up the Oz client anytime soon, and I don't see them allowing MSN and AIM early on, either (perhaps they will after whichever carriers' exclusive periods end, though).

morrow95
09-17-2006, 03:38 PM
Jibi,

Do you think they even if tmo doesn't support these apps that we would still be able to install and use them if we get a hold of them? They use data so if they leaked would there be any problems using them anyway, even if tmo didnt offer them?

I am in dire need of a decent IM app and everything I have tried does not satisfy me. I like OZ over everything I have tried so far minus the fact its sms, doesnt offer custom away, and doesnt allow reading of away messages. Other than that though, the interface is simple, clean, and effective which is why I am thinking this new AIM app would offer everything not included.

itsj
09-17-2006, 10:57 PM
i'm not sure about that one, since they have their own oz version of the app. i think they might not get it, however there must be a way to upgrade though.......my friend has the tmobile sidekick 3 and has the oz apps for im and they seem to work great for him.

jibi
09-17-2006, 11:04 PM
Do you think they even if tmo doesn't support these apps that we would still be able to install and use them if we get a hold of them? They use data so if they leaked would there be any problems using them anyway, even if tmo didnt offer them?Keep in mind that AIM and MSN are the two most popular IM services in the United States. As it was with the Yahoo offering, I'm sure that there will be an exclusive period, although I'm not willing to bet a dime that T-Mobile, and especially Cingular, jumps on board for that exclusive period.

Anyhow, back to your question, no. These IM clients should operate based on service books (guaranteed for the MSN client, as you can read above in the images). The carriers control which service books are sent to the handhelds and which aren't. Someone (no names) has had some success in populating a service book from one handheld to another with a SIM swap method, but I've not heard about this from anyone else (although the reputation behind this someone is unquestionable at this point in time ...and he's a good friend, too). I'd test if I had a Cingular account and an unlocked phone, but I have neither. :-)

pspiegel
09-18-2006, 01:35 AM
hopefully verizon will work with these... they don't seem to push their IM via SMS program as much as tmo does the OZ one..

phillyslickster
09-18-2006, 10:36 AM
It's great as long as the wireless carriers don't block its usage from their BB's. I can specifically seeing this happening with T-Mobile because they'd lose money that they generate from their im client using sms instead of data.

jungleland
09-22-2006, 12:36 PM
what's the expected release date for AIM bb client?

phillyslickster
09-22-2006, 01:02 PM
I don't think there has been any mention of n official release date as of yet. I'll be glad when it comes. Hopefully, an os upgrade will integrate it the same way that google talk and BB messenger is with our message box.

jibi
09-22-2006, 01:10 PM
what's the expected release date for AIM bb client?
never? :-P

rjw3000
09-22-2006, 05:42 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Anyone use the Oz IM client on T-Mo? Just wondering if anyone does, seems the majority of people here us one of the data IM programs out there.

kasperapd
09-22-2006, 05:53 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Anyone use the Oz IM client on T-Mo? Just wondering if anyone does, seems the majority of people here us one of the data IM programs out there.

I use it only because I have the unlimited SMS package.

Postalrecon
09-23-2006, 02:36 PM
even then its not reliable

aviationwiz
09-24-2006, 05:26 PM
Does anyone know what models these official apps will work on? Only the 8700 series, or also the 7100 and 7200?

jibi
09-24-2006, 06:40 PM
Does anyone know what models these official apps will work on? Only the 8700 series, or also the 7100 and 7200?
No one knows. It can be speculated that 'all' devices will be supported. As mentioned previously, there are files available for mono devices (6200, 7200 series, etc), so I would imagine that this will be just like the Yahoo client (let me harp on that assumption a bit) and support all of the handhelds on a number of OS versions.

jattila4
09-28-2006, 06:01 PM
Man, I can't wait for these!

flash24
09-29-2006, 02:29 AM
I'm thinking of buying IM+ but if this will come out soon then.. I think I will just wait. :D

aviationwiz
09-29-2006, 08:25 AM
Heh, I remember I was thinking the same thing when word of these apps first came out nearly a year ago, and am I glad I bought VeriChat, otherwise I would have been waiting for quite a while. Hopefully these apps will be up to par with the other apps out there.

thatboiwes
09-29-2006, 01:28 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8700c: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

If they are OFFICIAL IM applications then I'm sure they will be up to par with the others and then some.

jattila4
09-29-2006, 03:07 PM
Ah, I don't know weather to buy IM+ or not. I think I'll just wait....ugh, hard to decide.

benson197
09-29-2006, 03:28 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Which is better IM+ or Verichat?

aviationwiz
09-29-2006, 05:25 PM
Wirelessly posted (Verizon BlackBerry 7250: BlackBerry7250/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Personally, I prefer VeriChat, but I believe there are free trials for both IM+ and VeriChat, download each and use them, then decide which one you prefer.

joaquin654
10-01-2006, 10:31 PM
Data. Just like Yahoo, and Google Talk

well with cingular its hit and miss ... i can get google talk but no yahoo messenger .... i wonder if thats going to change now that i can get my yahoo email sent to my 8700c cingular .... hopefully i will be able to use the yahoo messenger since have many friends on yahoo only and not AIM or Google ...

Spencer_CDS
10-02-2006, 03:23 PM
well with cingular its hit and miss ... i can get google talk but no yahoo messenger .... i wonder if thats going to change now that i can get my yahoo email sent to my 8700c cingular .... hopefully i will be able to use the yahoo messenger since have many friends on yahoo only and not AIM or Google ...

Take a look here, I've got some instructions on how to make Y!M work on Cingular's network. =)

http://www.blackberryforums.com/blackberry-network/49131-using-rims-yahoo-messenger-client-cingular-wireless-blackberry-handsets.html

cdoggLBC
10-04-2006, 11:31 AM
I for one can't wait till these are released. The RIM GTalk client is so superior to anything else on the Blackberry I have told all my contacts that if you want to talk to me, you have to use it.... Can't wait for the MSN / AIM clients.

Any updates on expected date?

Mark Rejhon
10-04-2006, 12:15 PM
Sweet. Will the client(s) support connections to the carrier/RIM or direct connections? Single or multi socket?To the best of my knowledge, no active open socket -- it is supposed to be true push, in the same line as RIM's email technology.

For this reason, RIM's instant messaging utilities are the most battery-preserving instant messaging clients, so I am looking forward to these.

Remember, RIM has already released Yahoo, Google Talk, and BlackBerry Messenger.

ladyhollman
10-06-2006, 04:52 AM
Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I use OZ mainly because not many of my friends use google's gmail.

two-gun kid
10-06-2006, 01:26 PM
hmmm, i dont know if i should buy yak-on or not. so there is no release date?

cdoggLBC
11-07-2006, 10:24 AM
Where are these RIM clients?? I want them now, NOW, NOW!

paulbblc
11-07-2006, 10:29 AM
Simmer down now. You probably won't see them for awhile.

Eric5273
11-25-2006, 03:03 PM
Does anyone know if the AIM program will be available within the next 2-3 months? And will it definately be available to Cingular users? (I've heard that Cingular users have problems with the Yahoo Messenger program)

I'm thinking of getting the new Pearl on Cingular, and I noticed it doesn't come bundled with AIM like the T-Mobile version. Unfortunately I have used a Blackberry on Cingular and they charge extra for wap-based data (data used by 3rd party programs), so I need a program that uses the blackberry.net access point. If I know for sure it will be an option soon enough, then I may get the Pearl.

jibi
11-25-2006, 04:56 PM
Does anyone know if the AIM program will be available within the next 2-3 months? And will it definately be available to Cingular users? (I've heard that Cingular users have problems with the Yahoo Messenger program)It is unknown, at this time, when it will be released and which carriers will have the availability.

abigorbot
12-30-2006, 12:13 AM

I have an 8700 on T-Mo. I've downloaded the oz client and ramble. Ramble doesn't show when people are away for some reason so i log into the oz client to read the away message. I've never used the OZ client in a conversation.

plchan
12-30-2006, 01:27 AM
I have an 8700 on T-Mo. I've downloaded the oz client and ramble. Ramble doesn't show when people are away for some reason so i log into the oz client to read the away message. I've never used the OZ client in a conversation.

Just FYI, OZ uses Text SMS. Even you do not use it to chat. The login/logout, request buddy list require using text sms.

9thfloormaniac
12-30-2006, 01:36 AM
can't wait

DiRN
12-30-2006, 05:19 PM
Ramble shows that someone is away with an A next to their name instead of the smily face. It does not, however, allow you to view away messages.

abigorbot
12-30-2006, 05:29 PM
Ramble shows that someone is away with an A next to their name instead of the smily face. It does not, however, allow you to view away messages.

I meant more of the "A" showing in the contact list. I know that ramble has issues viewing away messages which wasn't what I was referring to... I meant ramble not updating the buddy list properly with the away status..

Jumpin_Joe
01-04-2007, 06:27 PM
It appears most of these are almost final, and carrier implementation should start at some point (likely before year end).

(cough) bump (cough)

While I don't live and die by IM by any stretch of the imagination, I'm thisclose to going out and buying one of the commercial versions. I was hoping to see something from RIM before the holidays...

If The Wife goes out and buys Yet Another Purse, I'll simply break down and get VeriChat or Ramble, etc. :-(

jungleland
01-04-2007, 08:44 PM
(cough) bump (cough)

While I don't live and die by IM by any stretch of the imagination, I'm thisclose to going out and buying one of the commercial versions. I was hoping to see something from RIM before the holidays...

If The Wife goes out and buys Yet Another Purse, I'll simply break down and get VeriChat or Ramble, etc. :-(

what's the point of continually buying purses/bags? after a while, she will have no money to put in the bags...:razz: :razz:

Jumpin_Joe
01-04-2007, 08:53 PM
*Clearly* you are not married. :-) Replace the word "she" with "we" in your quote:
...she will have no money to put in the bags

Liv
01-05-2007, 01:55 AM
Very nice...Thank you for pointing this out Jibi! :)

BallHawk3
01-05-2007, 03:16 AM
OMFG FINALLY!!!

When? When?!?!?!?

coastieboy00
01-06-2007, 11:30 PM
Any updates?

dapoktan
01-08-2007, 02:32 AM
seems like theyre gone from the rim website now..

now please, reeducate.. or educate me on why this is a problem to offer to blackberry customers? something with the providers??..

phillyslickster
01-08-2007, 04:47 AM
According to a RIM rep, BB has been trying to make a deal with AIM to be able to include it on BB. It seems for right now that BB users will have to use a third party app, such as Yak On, IM+, Ramble, etc. Maybe another developer out there will make an AIM app that works on data.

dapoktan
01-08-2007, 12:23 PM
So this is all AOL's fault?... grr.. maybe Danger is paying them..

Eric5273
01-16-2007, 10:33 AM
I don't think this is ever going to happen for AOL. For some odd reason, AOL has decided they no longer need to support any mobile devices in any way except through their wap site. They've stopped all development on their Palm & Pocket PC apps (haven't had any updates in 2+ years), and other than the Sidekick and OZ, they have nothing new there either. Maybe they've decided that it's not worth it to them to bother with Mobile devices. Yahoo and Google have long since passed them by. I think AOL's days are numbered. They will probably be bought out by Yahoo or Google at some point.

phillyslickster
01-16-2007, 11:14 AM
You're right about that. It really does seem that AIM is available for the sidekick in the same form as it is on your PC. The OZ client for T-Mobile for AIM has the same instant messenger sounds as AIM on your PC that I've noticed on the Dash, but I never noticed that on the BB. Yet, on the BB, the AIM on the OZ client doesn't seem to stay logged in for long. I've used Yak-On with success. It just doesn't have the gui of AIM on your PC, the sidekick, or OZ client but it seems to work okay.

jibi
01-16-2007, 12:39 PM
I don't think this is ever going to happen for AOL. For some odd reason, AOL has decided they no longer need to support any mobile devices in any way except through their wap site. They've stopped all development on their Palm & Pocket PC apps (haven't had any updates in 2+ years), and other than the Sidekick and OZ, they have nothing new there either. Maybe they've decided that it's not worth it to them to bother with Mobile devices. Yahoo and Google have long since passed them by. I think AOL's days are numbered. They will probably be bought out by Yahoo or Google at some point.
The development of an AOL IM application by RIM has nothing to do with AOL, aside from them opening up their network protocols (which they have done, as of Triton, if I'm not mistaken) and the licensing agreement between the two companies.

evenings
01-17-2007, 08:05 PM
its been a long time now.. any news on these apps comming to BB?

tsac
01-17-2007, 08:30 PM
It's only been 2 years !!!!

evenings
01-17-2007, 09:04 PM
It's only been 2 years !!!!
only 2 years?.. oh so it shouldn't be that long then.

wangta01
01-26-2007, 11:25 AM
ARg - add me to the list of people waiting. My verichat license just expired!

JSylvia007
01-27-2007, 04:31 PM
Count me in!!! I can't WAIT!

GQBalla
02-22-2007, 11:07 PM
is this out yet?? im waitn!!!

phillyslickster
02-23-2007, 06:29 AM
This app is currently in beta testing.

mebiuspower
02-23-2007, 08:10 AM
This app is currently in beta testing.

No shiat batman.

I also heard Duke Nukem Forever is also still in development.

mdonders
02-23-2007, 09:25 AM
No shiat batman.

I also heard Duke Nukem Forever is also still in development.

No need for the language or sarcasm, he was just answering a question asked by someone. I am sure if you got that response from someone you would be annoyed, so think about what you type.

ShaneToronto
02-24-2007, 06:22 PM
snip

ceebz
03-06-2007, 01:04 AM
I will assume these are never getting released?

JoveroC
03-06-2007, 10:11 AM
Pages don't exist anymore :(

geediu
04-09-2007, 04:37 PM
they have resurfaced - see today's post on blackberrycool site.

download over the air:

blackberry.com/aim
blackberry.com/icq
blackberry.com/livemessenger

JSylvia007
04-09-2007, 04:46 PM
I downloaded it, but its telling me that i need to:

"Visit www.blackberry.com/aim to activate your handheld for AOL Instant Messenger."

I get this same message when I want to use YAhoo IM.

I have already sent the service books... any other ideas?

~Jake

ezrunner
04-09-2007, 04:48 PM
go check out software forum I think it is there is a huge thread about this

MrKyoo
04-09-2007, 04:48 PM
Continued here http://www.blackberryforums.com/rim-software/72340-aim-msn-icq-blackberry-officialy-released.html

~MrKyoo