PDA

View Full Version : new to blackberry,- does it transfer data if no email is received

xdamini
09-14-2006, 02:54 AM
Hi,
I normally use a Windows Mobile PDA to check emails, but when I have the GPRS checking emails every 1 minute it uses a lot of data.

When using Blackberry, I understand that it's push email, does this eliminate the usage of data when no emails are being received?

snowskier79
09-14-2006, 03:44 AM
Wirelessly posted (8700c: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

If you do not have 3rd party apps installed and you are on a BIS (not a BES whether exchange or hosted) than yes only time you will use data is when emailed is pushed.

takeshi
09-14-2006, 08:54 AM
Does your carrier not offer unlimited Blackberry data plans or is there a big price difference? I know with my carrier, Cingular, that there's really no reason to not purchase the unlimited package as the 5MB BB data plan isn't significantly cheaper.

xdamini
09-15-2006, 09:45 PM
My carrier does not have the unlimited plans. they are really expensive. $25 for 5 megs.

I dont' understand the lingo you are using. What is BIS. i am just purchasing the blackberry plan from the cell phone place, so I just want to make sure I won't get charged unless I get emails. I got screwed with my current provider becuase they never told me that I will get charged when I check for emails even though I don't receive any. I set my phone to check every 1 min , and my bill came to $250 =(