PDA

View Full Version : Migrating from a 7290 to a 8700c

mannon
09-14-2006, 12:44 PM
I just got a new job and my company has provided me a 7290 that hooks in to their BES so I can retrieve me corporate email and I personally also own a 8700c.

I was wondering if I could swap my corporate SIM card from the 7290 and plug it in to my new 8700c as I like the feel of the 8700c better.

I know the BES generally keeps track of all the info of the blackberry but I don't know if it keeps track of the unit or the sim card or both. Would this potentially screw up the mailbox connection as the new 8700c wouldn't have all the IT policies nor gone through the whole enterprise activation part?

mannon

greggebhardt
09-14-2006, 01:27 PM
You IT people would not approve. Swaping your SIM would work if the 7290 is registered with your BES. Why not ask the nice IT people if they would set up your 8700 on BES so you could use it. It could be done but some IT people are not nice and other can't due to policy.

Try being nice to them, first!

BB_0wned
09-14-2006, 10:09 PM
Also depends on if the 8700 has the BES service plan. If it does, you could technically swap the PIN, connect to DTM and generate an encryption key. The only way ur IT dept would know is if they actually checked the HH info on the BES. I personally dont see why they would have an issue with this in the 1st place as once its on the BES, its completely under there control anyways.

Stinsonddog
09-14-2006, 10:42 PM
Also depends on if the 8700 has the BES service plan. If it does, you could technically swap the PIN, connect to DTM and generate an encryption key. The only way ur IT dept would know is if they actually checked the HH info on the BES. I personally dont see why they would have an issue with this in the 1st place as once its on the BES, its completely under there control anyways.

This will do it until they complain. The IT policy will push to the BB, and you should be set unless they notice. I have never heard of anyone complaining about using new HH's.