PDA

View Full Version : Want to join a UK network

rich 36
09-14-2006, 02:47 PM
Who does an unlimited data package,
or a generous alternative

o2 seem totally mystified, (and they share network with carphone warehouse)

Orange admit from the outset to haveing experienced some problems,

so Who do you all use,

I'd like to pay around 45 PCM
is that unreasonable ?

cheers in advance

jax
09-15-2006, 04:41 AM
I'm really struggling to figure out the UK carriers and who does what.

I'm currently with Vodafone and they offer standard BB packages from 8 GBP to 28 GBP per month (depending on voice plan and whether you use BIS or BES). This isn't unlimited (set at 6MB) although they've never charged me more for domestic use. However I'm getting huge roaming charges on my BlackBerry for data use. They charge around 10 GBP a MB for roaming data - and I spend a lot of time roaming. They don't seem to have a roaming package. Vodafone are good in the UK - although I wouldn't touch them if you plan to roam a lot.

O2 seem to have a good plan and I'm seriously thinking of changing. See BlackBerry from O2 - Home (http://www.my-blackberryfromo2.com/)

O2 has similar domestic BB rates, but also offer a 20 GBP package (per month) that adds unlimted BB data roaming.

Interested to hear other experiences.

Puzzler
09-15-2006, 06:06 AM
Im currently waiting for Orange to activate my BB. Been waiting 5 days now since I got it as they're currently having Techinal problems!
They have no idea how long it will take, they just say "there is a problem and is there anything else we can help you wth today"!!

Tried T-mobile which had by far the best prices, but couldn't get a signal within a mile of my house/office.

Been with Orange for 7 years so don't really want to move but O2 may be my next port of call if Orange don't pull there finger out.

rich 36
09-15-2006, 12:51 PM

rich 36
09-15-2006, 12:51 PM
I've spent an infuriating fortnight with o2
The 5MB package worked, but looked to me a bit,
well,
small quite frankly, so I rang up on a Sunday night to upgrade
to 200 MB, at which point all my E-mail traffic failed completely!!!

Might I suggest a call to this young man at o2

John

0845 56060618 extension43327

who seems quite clued up, in a company largely (not clued-up)

he's been very helpful,

aston
09-15-2006, 05:00 PM
I'm on T-Mobile in UK. I have an 18 month contract and I pay 12 months of that at a rate of 25 per month, the remaining 6 months at 30 per month. This gives me 50 MB of email data transfer (only attachments manually downloaded count towards the allowance) plus something like .5 MB browsing data allowance. They offered to give me unlimited internet browsing for an additional 7.50 per month which I haven't taken them up on because I've used the internet on my BB quite a lot and haven't been charged anything extra so to be honest I'm not altogether sure they can, or do, actually monitor browsing data usage.

I also get 150 minutes any network anytime included, also 100 texts per month. I'm happy with the deal I have with them; I don't think the wireless coverage is as good as 02 but I think overall the service is satisfactory.

Not sure if the deal I have is still on but I know that they have some equivalent, good deals on their website now.

I got stung on the charges for calling customer services from my BB when I first got it - I was charged at something ridiculous like 50 pence a minute and ran up a bill of 20 on one call, but now I just call T-Mob head office (for free on my landline) and ask to get put through to Cust Services.

Hope this helps!

Dan Dare
09-15-2006, 05:49 PM
IMHO the best provider in UK for Blackberry plans is vodafone. I have tried both O2 and Voda and think voda is best especially for international roaming. For 45 pcm you can take the unlimited BB plan and get a good amount of mins/text bundled as well. You can use these plans on BIS or BES.

Voda offer what i think is the best coverage in the UK and their dedicated BB support service tends to be pretty good.

Orange are only just beginning BB service - they were the only UK provider pushing the Treo. T-Mobile have some competitive plans (I use their 3g Data Card with 2 Gig per month included that costs only 20.00 per month with upto 1.8mbs connection) .

Initial set up is the important factor in my opinion and any retailer who wants to provide good service should be able to help you with this. My best advice is know what you want your BB to do and ask the retailer if they can do it.

rich 36
09-16-2006, 04:03 PM
T-mobile
after a short shopping trip this morning, where I looked at
Vodaphone & Orange (bit uncertain there, and anyway haden't got one on the shelf)

T-mobile did this;
Flext 25 plan 18 months
with,
instant e-mail 18 months 5MB

web and walk
all for 37 (about)

sure it'll be OK

aston
09-17-2006, 07:21 AM
Just checked the T-Mobile UK website - standard email data allowance is 50MB (not 5MB as in your last post)?

Did you buy already? I saw that if you buy on the web you get a couple of other savings - and T-Mob may even still be running their referral incentive scheme!

Les Armitage
09-17-2006, 12:24 PM
I'm on my 4th BB. 7290. 7100. 8700. 7130. Wife's also got a 7130. All on Vodafone. All on a BES server.

It's easy and fast to get tech help. The service never stops and for me it is faultless. Brilliant. Just don't expect low prices. These BB's are not toys.

wibbly
09-17-2006, 12:40 PM
T-Mobile and their Flext plans. BB is an extra 10 on top. But if you go with their "Web & Walk" plans (unlimited general GPRS) the BB on top drops to 5.

david_uk
09-17-2006, 01:38 PM
I agree with Les Armitage. A BB is not a Moto kiddy phone; it's a solution.

Compare the deals by all means, but choose an operator who fully understands and supports business/push email, has deep coverage, decent roaming partners and sensible pricing.

If you get it wrong, you might suffer 18 months of poor service which could put you off BB for ever.

IMO, at this time Voda UK tick all the right boxes (I don't work for them).

Their data support team know what they're talking about, they don't charge extra for BES, their UK coverage is widely acknowledged to be the best and they own or control many of their roaming partners.

OK they don't do unlimited data outside the 6Mb BB bundle, but do you really expect to use 50Mb per month browsing on Opera Mini? Could you stand the eye strain?

taylor
02-26-2007, 04:24 PM
Orange UK have a 17 BIS 'email only' plan, does anyone know of the call charges for using it as a phone?(Only includes BB & 25 texts no voice bundle)

tobyw
02-27-2007, 03:11 PM
Orange UK have a 17 BIS 'email only' plan, does anyone know of the call charges for using it as a phone?(Only includes BB & 25 texts no voice bundle)

But from their website doesn't this include only 6MB of data transfer? There seems to be nothing to say whether this is for e-mails or whether the 6Mb is to cover attachments etc. Do you have any idea taylor?

david_uk
02-27-2007, 04:36 PM
UK Voda's 6Mb includes email, attachments and browsing.

Unlikely you'll exceed this as BB does very efficient data compression.

I've found that my roaming costs (on "preferred" networks at least) are tolerable because of the above.

Not all operators provide the same quality. Voda may not be the cheapest, but IMHO they are the most reliable. They have some very large corporate BB customers and the service just has to work.

Which is good for the rest of us.

bigberry
02-27-2007, 06:36 PM
I'm with orange and i have had no problems at all.
As for the price plan, their data plan is 16, this is 6 meg plus unlimited evening and weekend, and for some reason 25 texts.

My last bill i used just over 64 meg and on top of the 16 i paid an extra 13.06, i'm happy with that.

You can bolt on meg bundles but if you do then you can't have the unlimited evening and weekends as well, now i just find that odd.

Hope that helps

tobyw
02-28-2007, 06:57 AM
I'm with orange and i have had no problems at all.
As for the price plan, their data plan is 16, this is 6 meg plus unlimited evening and weekend, and for some reason 25 texts.

My last bill i used just over 64 meg and on top of the 16 i paid an extra 13.06, i'm happy with that.

You can bolt on meg bundles but if you do then you can't have the unlimited evening and weekends as well, now i just find that odd.

Hope that helps

Bigberry - how did you manage to pay only an extra 13.06 for all that extra data? The terms and conditions seem to suggest that each extra MB is 2 and therefore for your extra 58MB I would have thought you would have been in for a 116 bill. Am I missing something here? I'm looking for a BIS plan at the moment and Orange seem to be very expensive?

bigberry
02-28-2007, 07:25 AM
tobyw i used just over 61 meg of data, of which 6 meg and evening and weekend which is unlimited as they are both part of the data bundle, i have used just under 6 meg of data outside of this bundle, so i suppose you are right it's about 2 per meg

tobyw
02-28-2007, 07:42 AM
tobyw i used just over 61 meg of data, of which 6 meg and evening and weekend which is unlimited as they are both part of the data bundle, i have used just under 6 meg of data outside of this bundle, so i suppose you are right it's about 2 per meg

Not sure I follow Bigberry (sorry, prob being dim!) but do you mean that you have unlimited data at evenings and weekends?

bertiebassett
02-28-2007, 08:00 AM
O2 seem to have a good plan and I'm seriously thinking of changing. See BlackBerry from O2 - Home (http://www.my-blackberryfromo2.com/)

O2 has similar domestic BB rates, but also offer a 20 GBP package (per month) that adds unlimted BB data roaming.

Interested to hear other experiences.

All our serious business roaming BB users we put on O2 purely for this 20 per month tariff. It really rocks compared to the other networks offerings. Can't be too long however before some of the other B2B focused networks catchup...

tobyw
02-28-2007, 08:15 AM
All our serious business roaming BB users we put on O2 purely for this 20 per month tariff. It really rocks compared to the other networks offerings. Can't be too long however before some of the other B2B focused networks catchup...

Thanks bertiebassett. Just had a look at the 02 site and this looks like the relevant link (EDIT: haven't made enough posts to post a link, slightly confusing on the site as the link seemed to be hidden in a footnote but I found it). Unlimited roaming abroad sounds perfect too! Not that I go on that many business or personal trips, but I guess that's when the BB for e-mail is possibly most useful to keep in touch.

The consumer voice tariffs don't seem as attractive as some of the other networks, but that's a small price to pay for a good BB deal!

As an aside, bertiebasset, do you know what version of BIS O2 is running and do they update to new versions fairly quickly?

Many thanks! :)

bigberry
02-28-2007, 08:21 AM
Yes as I said in an earlier post 6 meg and umlimited evening and weekends plus 25 texts.