PDA

View Full Version : Cingular 8700c Price

kwang98131
09-14-2006, 03:11 PM
Any idea when it will come down? I'm interested in puchasing but it is almost a year old unit and they STILL want $249 after a 2 yr agreement. any ideas?

WANNABB
09-14-2006, 08:09 PM
Try Amazon. That's what I was going to do before Cingular offered to come down on the price to renew my contract. Just a suggestion...

kwang98131
09-14-2006, 08:14 PM
yah i ended up goign down today and getting it anyways. amazon is a new activation so that would not be applicable to me.

WANNABB
09-14-2006, 08:21 PM
It's aggravating. I went to the local Cingular store and the rep there told me that my best bet was to cancel my service and just do a new activation through Amazon. They wouldn't sell me a BB for less than $300 (and I was buying 2 of them).

I called Cingular CS and spoke to someone in cancellations to cancel my account that night and they talked me down and I paid $220 each for the BBs. Looks like they forgot to restart the clock on my contract too, but I'm not reminding anyone!

ricoesco
09-14-2006, 09:45 PM
You can always just buy one from Ebay. I got one with the original Cingular box, manuals, and EXTRA accessories (i.e. car charger and extra case) for about $200. BB works flawlessly and I'm happy that I don't need to extend my contract with Cingular.

It is a locked phone has a couple minor nicks on the corner of the casing which indicates it's been dropped, but I was aware of that before the purchase. I just wanted a pda phone to hold me over until some 3G pda phones are released on Cingular.

kwang98131
09-14-2006, 10:31 PM
yah i was gona wait but im over it.. i have 30 days to return if i dont like.. and so far its a headache trying to get things workign email and internet..

can you go to hotmail.com on your web browser and check the mail from that?

for some reason im getting a message about the java script.. how to fix?

Seltzer
09-15-2006, 02:08 AM
Cingular is selling the device like crazy, so supply and demand rules apply. Also, when the newer Treo and the HTC 8525 get release, the 8700c will drop.

I can't live without my 8700c...I tried and failed. So, price to me wouldn't be a factor. Luckily, I got mine free.

dozment
09-15-2006, 07:14 AM
I bought my 8700c from Wirefly for $150. If I remember to do it I get a $150 rebate after 5 months of continuous service. I didn't cancel my current Cingular account, and I was still in a contract with them. But, was eligible for upgrade.

The process was smooth. Never lost service or had any scrw-ups. I called Cingular after I switched my SIM to my 8700 to be sure everything was ok on my account, and it was.

takeshi
09-15-2006, 10:42 AM
eBay or Cingular retentions is your best bet. You're not going to get much of a deal otherwise if you're an existing customer (but it's the same story for all wireless devices with all wireless carriers). "Upgrade pricing", if you qualify, is not that great.

Kriz
09-15-2006, 10:50 AM
Ebay is a good source...I just make sure to ask alot of questions, and review the feedback and use PayPal...

cingular_agent
09-15-2006, 11:20 AM
I have used my 8700 for about two months now, tried an 8125 which I could have got for free(work) and gave it back after 3 hours! I love my 8700.......very user friendly!

kwang98131
09-15-2006, 11:25 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

I bought my 8700c from Wirefly for $150. If I remember to do it I get a $150 rebate after 5 months of continuous service. I didn't cancel my current Cingular account, and I was still in a contract with them. But, was eligible for upgrade.

The process was smooth. Never lost service or had any scrw-ups. I called Cingular after I switched my SIM to my 8700 to be sure everything was ok on my account, and it was.

I thought that wirefly and those web sites are for new customers only but I do have 30 days to look into that. Thanks for that info!

kwang98131
09-15-2006, 11:26 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

I thought that wirefly and those web sites are for new customers only but I do have 30 days to look into that. Thanks for that info!

dozment
09-15-2006, 11:29 AM
eBay or Cingular retentions is your best bet. You're not going to get much of a deal otherwise if you're an existing customer (but it's the same story for all wireless devices with all wireless carriers). "Upgrade pricing", if you qualify, is not that great.

I thought my Wirefly price was pretty good. They're doing free 7290s right now. Te 8700c is $179.99 but free after MIR (which has to include your fifth bill). When I did my upgrade was in a Cingular contract but eligable for upgrade. I'm on the same plan as before. My contract was extended for another two years. And, I got an 8700 for free (after rebate).

kwang98131
09-15-2006, 11:33 AM

Yah I must agree with you on that one. I went to cingular last year and did a 1 year contract and just had my old nokia I liked. I didn't even buy a phone lol and they still don't give you any break. I'm gona call wirefly and ask them what the catch is if I go through them.

idiot
09-15-2006, 11:39 AM
I have a new 8700c and I want to interface with Mac 0sx 10.3 panther. I can download it okay but when I try to install it I get an erro message :

Error reading segement header 1008:3, -38.

This does not allow me to install it.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Can anyone give me advice on this?

I have sent many emails and requests to Pocketmac tech support with absolutely no response whatsoever.

I am so frustrated and feel like a complete idiot, hence my username!

Thanks in advance

Idiot

kwang98131
09-15-2006, 11:42 AM

Ebay is a good source...I just make sure to ask alot of questions, and review the feedback and use PayPal...

I looked on ebay the past few weeks and everyone wanted like 250 for a used one when I can buy a new one but extend a 2 year contract :(

greekzilla
09-15-2006, 03:01 PM
I tried to upgrade to the Blackberry 8700g through T-Mobile and they want $349 w/ 2year contract extension. For a new contract, it's free through places like wirefly.com OR amazon.com. I don't get it. You would think they would want to retain their current customer base and give better prices

WANNABB
09-15-2006, 03:46 PM
I tried to upgrade to the Blackberry 8700g through T-Mobile and they want $349 w/ 2year contract extension. For a new contract, it's free through places like wirefly.com OR amazon.com. I don't get it. You would think they would want to retain their current customer base and give better prices

I asked this same question when I was looking to upgrade to the BB. I've basically decided that it's your choice - decide whether you'll pay for the phones on the front end or on the back end of your contract, but at some point you're going to pay!

dozment
09-15-2006, 03:54 PM

My deal with Wirefly was not for a new contract. I did do a two year extension on my existing contract. Same phone number. Same plan. And my 8700c will be free if I remember to do the $150 MIR in about four more months.

I'm not sure how they're doing it, but Wirefly is not the same as Amazon, etc. You don't have to start a new contract to do it. Again, I was already in a contract. My original contract expires this November. They extended the contract and gave me a really good price on a new 8700c

kwang98131
09-15-2006, 04:55 PM
so i called wirefly... thsi sux! absolutley sux!... i live in vegas and wirefly doe not sell to any vegas people.. i looked up a friends area code and they can sell to them in beverly hills for that special price and i would have to have a california phone number in order to get that special. wtf is up with that? any other sites liek this that WILL sell to vegas for a discount price?