PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Sync Options On TMO 8700g

mbhupatrai
09-14-2006, 11:13 PM
Ok,

I've searched high and low without locating definitive information. If I have missed something, I do apologse in advance.

I'll lay out the situation to you first:

Company DOES use a BES, but I'm not activated on it. They insist on Cingular as company policy and I'm on a brand new TMO.

Anyway, in the meantime, I did install the Desktop Manager and have redirection set and it seems to be working fine. I can't remember whether (when I set up the DM) whether I used the Enterprise Server or Internet option or both though.

In any case, I have been receiving work emails (Outlook / Exchange, but while the company does use BES, I repeat I'm not on BES). I have a desktop set up 24/7 that redirects messages to me in a very timely fashion and I'm very pleased with this.

I have also read here that wireless sync won't work if you use the Desktop Redirector without having access to a BES. However, that still doesn't tell me why I can't locate the "USE Wireless Sync" option on my BB under calendar, tasks or memos...anywhere, really.

From home, I logged into that desktop machine using remote access, and can't seem to see any options on the DM...perhaps my BB needs to be connected to the Desktop for me to be able to view options.

Synchronization over USB works reasonably well too.

I just can't accept or send Meeting requests, can't open attachments (but my fix for that is to forward emails that arrive at my work account to my gmail account (I also have BIS).

Should I not even be able to see the wireless options on my BB?

Has anyone heard through the grapevine if the next release of DM may allow wireless calendar sync (and tasks) for the poor sods that don't have access to a BES?

Should I reinstall the desktop application altogether, and if so, is there a guide to reinstalling it so I don't bung up everything and loose all my communications?

Even if I can't get 100% of all the BB has to offer, I have to say, I'm so happy I got this thing.

M

shaqinsactown
09-15-2006, 01:57 AM
When you install desktop manager it asks you how you want redirection handled either through the BES or through the Desktop Redirector. You won't be able to do e-mail reconciliation if you go with the desktop redirector essentially you'll only see a copy of the e-mail on your blackberry.

takeshi
09-15-2006, 10:48 AM
I don't know if you should see wireless sync options if you're not on a BES (what would be the point anyway?). No telling if RIM will create a wireless sync option for non-BES users. It's one of the selling points of BES though they are trying to break into the wider non-business consumer base out there...