PDA

View Full Version : BIS vs BES

bbnewbie8700
09-15-2006, 11:12 AM
Hi,

Cingular sales reps the BIS account is only for "personal accounts"... But if i have my own website, and webmail, and pop/smtp account, how would they know if it's Corporate or Personal?

Thanks

Dubdub
09-15-2006, 11:27 AM
If you are connected to a corporate Blackberry Enterprise Server (BES), then its business and the price is $44.95.

Other wise, you come under Blackerry Internet Server (BIS) which is considered personal and the price is $29.99.

bbnewbie8700
09-15-2006, 11:33 AM
thanks - but is the BES necessary? meaning, i have my own mail server, and i have a few email accounts that i've set up, which i can eitehr download into outlook via pop/smtp, or just check webmail... so i basically just want to know if i can receive my emails instantaneously? maybe i'm not fully understanding what the BES application does.. Does it store a copy of your emails on its server?

If so, what's the benefit of that?

And with BIS, does it just download the emails onto your bb and then you have to sync it up with outlook to get them in your outlook mailbox?

thanks!

Dubdub
09-15-2006, 01:27 PM
thanks - but is the BES necessary? meaning, i have my own mail server, and i have a few email accounts that i've set up, which i can eitehr download into outlook via pop/smtp, or just check webmail... so i basically just want to know if i can receive my emails instantaneously? maybe i'm not fully understanding what the BES application does.. Does it store a copy of your emails on its server?

And with BIS, does it just download the emails onto your bb and then you have to sync it up with outlook to get them in your outlook mailbox?

thanks!

It is definitely not necessary, however, I am not the expert on BES (or BIS for that matter). I get all of my email, company related and personal, to my blackberry via BIS.

This link will tell you more about BES. http://www.blackberry.com/select/server/pdfs/blackberry_enterprise_solution.pdf

Dubdub
09-15-2006, 01:30 PM

thanks!

Email is sent directly to the BB automatically. With BIS you do have to synch to update appointments and calendar events. I think all of that is one over the air if you use BES, but I am not sure.

aiharkness
09-15-2006, 03:05 PM

thanks!

Do a search on BES and BIS and I think you'll get the jist of the difference fairly quickly. Sounds to me like BIS will work for you, but you'll have to decide that.

Lex Luthor
09-15-2006, 03:21 PM
You should be fine with BIS. On my BlackBerry I receive email from my home account, my business account, and email from my website also. I have the option if BES through my work but because of policies and not being able to run 3rd party apps at my company I stick with BIS.

moosehead
09-15-2006, 03:24 PM
I agree with everyone else. From the sounds of it BIS will suit you fine. Plus it will be cheaper for you.

bbnewbie8700
09-15-2006, 06:03 PM
ok thanks, everyone

Tri-Tip
09-15-2006, 07:05 PM
When I first got my Blackberry, before we had BES installed, I used the online e-mail service thru the carrier. Once I got it setup, my incoming messages were forwarded to my Blackberry, and when I sent a message, it was automatically cc'd to my regular e-mail address.

With BES (and Lotus Notes, not sure about Exchange), when I receive an e-mail in my inbox, it's also on my Blackberry, and when I send an E-Mail from my Blackberry, it appears in the Sent view on my desktop, as if I had actually sent it from my computer and not the Blackberry.

I can also schedule meetings, inviting others, and accept/decline meeting invites on the Blackberry as if I were at my desk. It's all 100% seamless.