PDA

View Full Version : internation travel w/ 8700 cing.

bbnewbie8700
09-15-2006, 05:21 PM
Hoping someone with international travel experience (w/the cing.8700bb) can help:

Cingular offers an intl plan of unltd data for 64.99 -- which they say you can activate and deactivate at will, and if you only use it for 2 wks, they'll pro-rate the charges...

HOWEVER, a sales rep told me that they don't bill you until THEY get the bill from the foreign provider, so if for example if you activate the plan when abroad and deactivate it when you get back (say, only using 2 weeks of this service, pro-rated), while they'll only charge you for 2 wks, prorated, if the bill from the foreign affiliate arrives AFTER the end of the month (or after your plan has been deactivated for that matter), you're screwed

For example, if the bill comes in 2 months later than your usual billing cycle (and their disclaimer is that it can come in up to 90 days later), they check your service, see you don't CURRENTLY subscribe to the intl unltd data plan, and basically charge you by USAGE at that point (the 1.7 cents/kb or whatever it is). So their suggestion is "don't deactivate it... just keep it on until the foreign charges show up on you bill".... though, of course, that can mean 3 extra months x 64.99+.....

is this not entirely absurd? Seems to me like a mere accounting thing... IE, all they have to do is cross check your intl dates of usage with the foreign providers bill.

Am i not getting something here? Or is this just robbery?

Has anyone, who's activated + deactivated the international data/voice plan, encountered this?

Is there a solution?

I'm travelling abroad in a few days and need to sort this out before i go...

Any advice is greatly appreciated..

Thanks

snowskier79
09-15-2006, 08:25 PM
Wirelessly posted (8700c: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Call customer support. Every call they track on your account using a CRM program. The rep will log what you guys talk about and/or confirm. Hang up and call back. Reconfirm what they are offering; you might get a better deal on the second call. Once your bill comes if it is FUBAR then give them a call a quote them what they told you. Have them look at the records; hopefully this helps.

Just my $0.02

sdetweil
09-15-2006, 09:42 PM
thanks for that heads up.. We are leaving for a 3 week vacation to europe next week and I have to turn on the international plan.. will keep a watch..

Sam

rickthornton
09-15-2006, 10:52 PM
Hoping someone with international travel experience (w/the cing.8700bb) can help:

Cingular offers an intl plan of unltd data for 64.99 -- which they say you can activate and deactivate at will, and if you only use it for 2 wks, they'll pro-rate the charges...

HOWEVER, a sales rep told me that they don't bill you until THEY get the bill from the foreign provider, so if for example if you activate the plan when abroad and deactivate it when you get back (say, only using 2 weeks of this service, pro-rated), while they'll only charge you for 2 wks, prorated, if the bill from the foreign affiliate arrives AFTER the end of the month (or after your plan has been deactivated for that matter), you're screwed

For example, if the bill comes in 2 months later than your usual billing cycle (and their disclaimer is that it can come in up to 90 days later), they check your service, see you don't CURRENTLY subscribe to the intl unltd data plan, and basically charge you by USAGE at that point (the 1.7 cents/kb or whatever it is). So their suggestion is "don't deactivate it... just keep it on until the foreign charges show up on you bill".... though, of course, that can mean 3 extra months x 64.99+.....

is this not entirely absurd? Seems to me like a mere accounting thing... IE, all they have to do is cross check your intl dates of usage with the foreign providers bill.

Am i not getting something here? Or is this just robbery?

Has anyone, who's activated + deactivated the international data/voice plan, encountered this?

Is there a solution?

I'm travelling abroad in a few days and need to sort this out before i go...

Any advice is greatly appreciated..

Thanks

I activated the international data plan for a recent international trip and all of my activity was reflected for the proper period and there were no surprises, however, you are correct in your description of the roaming policy (as I understand it). I figured that I would deal with the issue if and when it came up.

Another part of the fine print so to speak with international roaming is the fact that you are billed for any incoming calls (while your phone is turned on) regardless of whether or not you answer the phone call. If you typically receive a significant number of incoming calls at $1.49 (or more) per minute it could add up. The way I dealt with this was to turn on the phone periodically to see if I had any email messages and then turned it off after I was done checking my emails. As I understand it, if the phone is turned off no charges will be incurred on incoming calls.

jrsmooth
09-15-2006, 11:02 PM
Hoping someone with international travel experience (w/the cing.8700bb) can help: ...

Thanks

This is entirely untrue...

I was in China last December (aka, 12/2005), I activated the unlimited Internation data package and enabled International Roaming voice before I took off. I was there for three weeks, I was roaming on China Mobile. After I came back, I have Cingular remove the all the roaming packages.

I didn't get charged for that period of usage until a few months later (forgot whether it was May or August, 2006), and that was WAY WAY after I have the roaming packages removed. Guess what? They charged what they supposed to charge me, no more, no less, very fair.

Have a good trip by the way!

BBRaffey
09-18-2006, 01:10 PM
I just kept my old V600, had it unlocked and bought a couple of Vodafone SIM cards (for the counties I travel to most) and saved a bundle.

WANNABB
10-26-2006, 04:54 AM
Question...my wife didn't activate the International BB Plan, and just emailed me from Amsterdam via her BB. Anyone have any idea how much that email is going to cost me?

jrsmooth
10-26-2006, 08:45 AM
Question...my wife didn't activate the International BB Plan, and just emailed me from Amsterdam via her BB. Anyone have any idea how much that email is going to cost me?

"All GPRS pay per use rates are $.0195/KB" for Netherlands:

Cingular Wireless (http://www.cingular.com/travelguide/coverage/coverage_details.jsp?MNC=CING&CIDL=528&=1.29%3B0.99%3B528&product1rate=%241.29&product2rate=%240.99&x=18&y=10)

kbelyeu
10-26-2006, 01:40 PM
You could also call cingular international service number and ask them for the unlock codes. Then you can use a local providers sim card and pay local rates for local, international and GPRS service. All of these services are very reasonable compared to international rates (which I am also signed up for). I doubt they would do this for short trips but I just mentioned that I would be in Brazil for an extended period and they emailed me the codes.

Cigular international service # +1 916 843 4685 (supposedly a free call for customers).

Cheers,

Kurt