PDA

View Full Version : Cingular APN no longer working on 8700c

korereactor
09-16-2006, 12:18 PM
For some odd reason I can no longer get my APN to work. I'm using cingular, and have made sure I put in the following correctly:

APN: wap.cingular
Username for APN: WAP@<hidden>
Password for APN: CINGULAR1

I've powered down and pulled the battery as well, no luck.

This all started to occur after I upgraded to the latest Bharti (India) - 4.1.0.466/4.1.0.351 O.S.

Since I thought the problem was the O.S., I reverted back to the previous Bharti version that I was using before, which was working fine. Now the problem exists on that version as well. I hope this isn't just a provider issue and a coincidence, although I doubt it.

I've re-registered and resent the service books, still no luck.

I'm at a loss as to what's wrong now. Any ideas?

rickthornton
09-16-2006, 07:35 PM
For some odd reason I can no longer get my APN to work. I'm using cingular, and have made sure I put in the following correctly:

APN: wap.cingular
Password for APN: CINGULAR1

I've powered down and pulled the battery as well, no luck.

This all started to occur after I upgraded to the latest Bharti (India) - 4.1.0.466/4.1.0.351 O.S.

Since I thought the problem was the O.S., I reverted back to the previous Bharti version that I was using before, which was working fine. Now the problem exists on that version as well. I hope this isn't just a provider issue and a coincidence, although I doubt it.

I've re-registered and resent the service books, still no luck.

I'm at a loss as to what's wrong now. Any ideas?

I never had any success using the WAP@<hidden>, I use WAP@<hidden>. All other choices are the same that you currently have.

Of course it could be a provider issue in terms of your account. I previously dealt with this and could only solve it with a call to Cingular BB Support. Good luck.

snowskier79
09-16-2006, 11:16 PM
Double check w/Cingular Customer Service. For whatever reason (which I do not even thing Cingular knows why) but your WAP access on your account may have been removed. Call them up, reset your device (hard reset or battery pull), and re-type the APN settings. This should solve the problem.

korereactor
09-17-2006, 12:42 AM
Well, it's definitely a Cingular issue. I've been notified by others in my department at work that the APN settings aren't working anymore(in Abilene, TX). Anyone else notice this? I hope this isn't an issue with our company account!

snowskier79
09-17-2006, 12:45 AM
Are you on a BES? Many IT policies will occasionally wipe out your APN settings, whether daily, weekly, monthly, etc.

korereactor
09-17-2006, 12:46 AM
No, just BIS.

snowskier79
09-17-2006, 12:51 AM
Double check w/Cingular Customer Service. For whatever reason (which I do not even thing Cingular knows why) but your WAP access on your account may have been removed. Call them up, reset your device (hard reset or battery pull), and re-type the APN settings. This should solve the problem.

Double check this as well.

jamelb
09-17-2006, 02:22 AM
its defiantly not a cingular problem i usethe same apn seting for my pico news and for my veri chat and the both are still work. Try back up your handheld and wiping it clean. Than before you restore try the setings again. That will at least help you narrow down were the real problem might lie....:-P

korereactor
09-17-2006, 04:00 AM
I wiped it clean and reloaded everything from scratch. I've tried every APN for cingular and it doesn't work, nor does it work for some other people that I work with. I'm not saying this is an outage, but it probably has something to do with our company's account with Cingular.

naviwilliams
09-17-2006, 06:56 AM
I've always wondered, what does the APN actually allow one to do?

Eric5273
09-17-2006, 12:55 PM
This was a problem constantly when I had my 7100g back in early 2005. It would work, it wouldn't work, sometimes they would charge me for the extra data, sometimes they wouldn't. If I asked them to remove the charges for the data, they would then remove the "pay per use" access for the wap access.

I've come to the conclusion that Cingular does not support wap access (or data for 3rd Party programs) unless you pay extra for that data. So if you want use of 3rd party programs included in your "unlimited" data plan, use a different provider.

korereactor
09-18-2006, 02:49 PM
Well, I tried contacting Cingular and they were of no help at all. They forwarded me to RIM. When I spoke to the person at RIM, he said I was setup on BES and that I needed to contact Cingular.(I barely could understand him)

Obviously I'm not on BES, I'm on BIS. These techs weren't very knowledgable at all, and kept blaming the third party apps. Since Friday none of the phones in our company can use the APN setting anymore.

korereactor
09-18-2006, 05:06 PM
Ok, I called Cingular back and low and behold, I got to the right tech for a change and he fixed me right up. Sure enough, WAP access had somehow become disabled on my account. Thanks Griffith!!

snowskier79
09-18-2006, 06:07 PM
Ok, I called Cingular back and low and behold, I got to the right tech for a change and he fixed me right up. Sure enough, WAP access had somehow become disabled on my account. Thanks Griffith!!

Just like I said earlier on this post.

Eric5273
09-18-2006, 09:15 PM
Now don't be surprised if they start charing you per KB for wap access. That is what happened to me.

kerry6
09-21-2006, 05:42 AM
[QUOTE=korereactor]APN: wap.cingular
Password for APN: CINGULAR1 QUOTE]

Sounds like an outage in your area. mine works fine with Telenav(y)