PDA

View Full Version : BlackBerry international tethering

john732
09-20-2006, 11:54 PM
I need the ability to connect my laptop to my BlackBerry and get on the internet in any country, since I travel all over the world.

Who do I go with - Cingular or T-Mobile?
Which plan do I get?
Which BlackBerry model should I use?

(I have a T-Mobile BlackBerry 7290, but do not know anything about tethering)

mymitsu3kgt
09-21-2006, 01:29 AM
I believe most people say that TMobile has the best international roaming plan. Their parent company is in Europe.

rfugitt
09-21-2006, 02:59 AM
I am currently traveling in Germany and the tmobile- tethering works fine....same setup as in the us works.....Im using the 8700g....

I am curious what the charges are going to be. We signed up for unlimited international data for $19.99. But after reading a few of the posts here, i'm wodering what exactly unlimited means..... Do they make their own dictionaries at cell phone companies ?

Anyway, anyone have any experience here ?

ray

john732
09-21-2006, 03:15 AM
I am currently traveling in Germany and the tmobile- tethering works fine....same setup as in the us works.....Im using the 8700g....

I am curious what the charges are going to be. We signed up for unlimited international data for $19.99. But after reading a few of the posts here, i'm wodering what exactly unlimited means..... Do they make their own dictionaries at cell phone companies ?

Anyway, anyone have any experience here ?

ray

Hey, what type of speeds do you get on your laptop over in Germany when you tether with the 8700? I've tethered with Sprint Vision phones before and gotten speeds slightly faster than dialup -- usually 60-80kbps... but nothing even close to broadband.

rfugitt
09-21-2006, 03:57 AM
it says 115k, and i get to beleive its close to that. Its definitely no broadband, but its not dial-up either. Much quicker than the fastest dial-up i have used.

I'm still nervous about getting a big bill.....

P.S. We were here last year and used our t-mobile hot spot account. It said on the English page that there was no surcharge for us customers.....The bill ended up being $400. Oh well, i hope this wont be a repeat of that

vincentnyc
09-21-2006, 01:31 PM
rfugitt:

yes please let me know if u get a large tmobile bill. my boss have tmobile and unlimited bis plan from tmobile which he is paying only $20. he would love to use his 8700 as a tethered w/o any additional charges. so anyone know...greatly appreciated.

pemabuk
09-21-2006, 01:52 PM
I use T-Mobile with the $19.99 unlimited international add on, and use tethering. There are no additional costs. With T-Mobile it is truly unlimited in my experience, and has been discussed many times here. You won't get a big bill.

vincentnyc
09-21-2006, 01:59 PM
permabuk: u have INTERNATIONAL unlimited. my boss just have the regular unlimited. so will or wont he get a large phone bills?

john732
09-21-2006, 05:43 PM
It seems like T-Mobile is the carrier to go with. I looked on their website, and it would be $30 for BlackBerry internet/data, then $20 for unlimited international. So $50 total.

Now the question is- should you use the 7290 or 8700 for tethering?

Do you get "Edge" speed on the 8700 when you travel internationally?

vincentnyc
09-21-2006, 07:26 PM
It seems like T-Mobile is the carrier to go with. I looked on their website, and it would be $30 for BlackBerry internet/data, then $20 for unlimited international. So $50 total.

Now the question is- should you use the 7290 or 8700 for tethering?

Do you get "Edge" speed on the 8700 when you travel internationally?

u should get edge speed in europe since they are more advance than usa in term of cell phone technology. my question is if u dont have INTERNATIONAL unlimited plan...will it still work on the regular DOMESTIC unlimited plan?

Dirky
09-22-2006, 06:53 AM
I believe most people say that TMobile has the best international roaming plan. Their parent company is in Europe.

Hehe! not if you are in the Uk they don't! No such international roaming plan exists at present.

pemabuk
09-22-2006, 11:37 AM
permabuk: u have INTERNATIONAL unlimited. my boss just have the regular unlimited. so will or wont he get a large phone bills?

If he calls T-Mobile to enable international roaming capability, the bb will function for data and voice (incl. tethering). However, without the unlimited international add on ($19.99) he will be charged at the roaming rates.

So to answer your question, he will get a large phone bill if he uses a lot of data overseas.

pemabuk
09-22-2006, 11:40 AM
Hehe! not if you are in the Uk they don't! No such international roaming plan exists at present.

I haven't been to the UK since moving to T-Mobile in April, but according to the website there is fine GSM/GPRS roaming coverage for US customers, see map:

http://www.t-mobile.com/international/RoamingMaps.aspx?tp=Inl_Tab_RoamWorldwide&tsp=Inl_Sub_RoamingMap&cc=GB&net=00&opts=0&cid=173

vincentnyc
09-22-2006, 12:54 PM
If he calls T-Mobile to enable international roaming capability, the bb will function for data and voice (incl. tethering). However, without the unlimited international add on ($19.99) he will be charged at the roaming rates.

So to answer your question, he will get a large phone bill if he uses a lot of data overseas.

he has the regular UNLIMITED DOMESTIC for usa. and he only uses his blackberry in USA...so he will get a large phone bill for tethering in USA from tmobile?

pemabuk
09-23-2006, 10:48 AM
he has the regular UNLIMITED DOMESTIC for usa. and he only uses his blackberry in USA...so he will get a large phone bill for tethering in USA from tmobile?

If he has the unlimited domestic plan, and only uses it domestically, he will not be charged any extra. It is all inclusive.

kingsfan3344
09-26-2006, 12:48 AM
Hi.
I have a 19.99 unlimited data plan for the US and I will soon be travelling to Israel. I am on the phone with T-Mobile trying to add the "Unlimited International Plan". He was not aware of this type of plan. Is he wrong? What should I tell them to get this? Also, what is included in the unlimited international? Voice and data or just data? Is it only email or also web browsing?
Thanks a lot.

padders
10-02-2006, 04:32 PM
Hi,

I have been trying to work out this unlimited international plan. On the website it now calls it "Blackberry Unlimited International Email" and says nothing about using web traffic. I phoned t-mobile sales and the think web traffic will be charged at normal romaing rates and only blackberry email data would be included. I can not really understand how that works especially if you use BES.

Any ideas?

siliconvalley785
10-02-2006, 05:16 PM
Just wanted to tag on that no European carrier has EDGE, or at least in the UK they don't. They went from GPRS right to 3G.

Pritesh

vincentnyc
10-02-2006, 09:04 PM
Just wanted to tag on that no European carrier has EDGE, or at least in the UK they don't. They went from GPRS right to 3G.

Pritesh

so what is 3g they are using in europe? evdo just like verizon or sprint or hspda ( dont know the actual spelling)?

if u bring a edge device to europe and they use 3g...what speed will ur device use then?