PDA

View Full Version : Problem with 7105T

baseline
09-21-2006, 09:08 AM
OK guys, I am desperate and am hoping that someone here might be able to lend a helping hand. My problem in a nutshell is that about 3 weeks ago, my 7105T from T-Mobile got stuck in MultiTap mode. When I held down the * key to switch to SureType, I got an error message saying "Input System Error. The system is being restarted" and it would just default back to Multitap. Here are the things I tried:

- Removed battery and cold booted
- Wiped Handheld and reactivated
- Upgraded to 4.2 desktop software
- Reloaded 4.0 OS software

Note that when the problem happened, I had not loaded any software or changed any configuration on the unit. It just happened out of the blue.

I eventually ran out of things to try and called T-Mobile tech. support. They basically conceeded that I had already tried everything that they would have so they agreed to send me a new phone.

I got the new phone and everything worked great. The problem is that within 3 days, the same problem resurfaced and now I am back to square one again.

I dread calling T-Mobile again because I don't think there's anything they can do. I'm starting to wonder if there is a problem with my SIM or configuration or something else?

Does anyone have any idea of what might be going on or know if there is a way to open a ticket with RIM directly for something that is out of the carrier's league in terms of troubleshooting? Thanks in advance for any help.

Jonathan

bruce1271
09-21-2006, 04:52 PM
Instead of pushing the * key, use the menu to toggle between the two. I had the same error, and used the menu to change and it worked ok..until my phone hung in the hourglass at boot-up(twice) and now I have a new phone on the way. try that.

baseline
09-22-2006, 07:48 AM
Well I tried that and it definitely does help somewhat. Thank you! I can now get into Suretype mode when composing a mesage, but if I bring up the menu (to add recipients or whatever) it will default back to Multitap mode. If I then try to re-enable Suretype from the menu, I get:

"Uncaught exception: java.lang.NullPointerException"

It definitely helps but I would still like like to resolve it once and for all given the issue. Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Jonathan