PDA

View Full Version : 8703e Tethered Modem

Horseshoe
09-22-2006, 10:40 AM
Will someone please post a detailed explanation on how to use your 8703e (Verizon) as a modem, or point me in the direction where I can find these directions.

(This is my first blackberry)

jungleland
09-22-2006, 10:42 AM
Will someone please post a detailed explanation on how to use your 8703e (Verizon) as a modem, or point me in the direction where I can find these directions.

(This is my first blackberry)

that info should be provided in the box that the 8703 came in..hint, pop the VZ access cd into your computer and go from there..

dpeters11
09-22-2006, 10:49 AM
You basically just install the VZAccess software that came with it, then plug in your blackberry and click COnnect WWAN. Just to make sure, you subscribed to that service correct? You sometimes get it free for a month, but it is an extra service, usually $15 a month.

tjewell73
09-22-2006, 12:23 PM
You basically just install the VZAccess software that came with it, then plug in your blackberry and click COnnect WWAN. Just to make sure, you subscribed to that service correct? You sometimes get it free for a month, but it is an extra service, usually $15 a month.

I think he wants to know how to get it free?

I tried the directions in another thread and it did not work, came up with invalid password or something...

Anyone else know what's up

jungleland
09-22-2006, 12:28 PM

I tried the directions in another thread and it did not work, came up with invalid password or something...

Use shark modem..

tjewell73
09-22-2006, 12:50 PM
Use shark modem..

I thought you only need to use shark modem if your blackberry did not have one?

Horseshoe
09-22-2006, 12:59 PM
So to do it legit I would need to get another service ONTOP of the 44.99 I pay per month for unlimited data??? There is a tethered-modem subscription?!?!!

So the answer is yes, how do I get it for free? Anybody?

tjewell73
09-25-2006, 10:22 AM
I hate to bring this up from the bottom, but has anyone had any success tethering their 8793 with their laptop? I know you can pay an extra $15, but man they already get $45 a month for the data plan.

cdd543
09-25-2006, 11:33 AM
There are two ways and they have both been mentioned already. About The Shark Modem: Use Your Blackberry As A Wireless Modem (http://www.mobishark.com/about.htm) or pay the $15.

Tri-Tip
09-25-2006, 11:41 AM

I added the service to my Verizon account and have been using it with my 8703. I have had a few caes where I've had to redial a few times before it authenticated properly. Don't forget that this service has only been available for 1 week.

The first month is free, and it's $15 a month after that. I believe that it is a month-to-month subscription and you don't have to commit for 1 or 2 years.

Yes, it's more money to Verizon, but if you spend 2 nights in a hotel a month and need service, it pays for itself. Most hotels are $10 a day for high-speed and some are up to $15. Plus you can use it wherever you want.

jporlier
09-25-2006, 01:54 PM
Does the 8703e come with Mac friendly software in order to tether the unit to use it as a modem?

Tri-Tip
09-25-2006, 07:55 PM
Does the 8703e come with Mac friendly software in order to tether the unit to use it as a modem?

What's a Mac??? The CD that came with mine was PC-only.

wildmomo
09-26-2006, 06:40 AM
i use the tethering capability almost exclusively at the office. No outside access to mail and other stuff. My data rates are pretty quick, and I dont have to worry about hotspot charges anymore either. the $15 is well worth it.

w

mistermix
09-26-2006, 12:21 PM

Tethering only works with Windows boxes, not Macs.

rrwoodward
09-27-2006, 01:04 PM
I've been using a seperate Verizon AirCard for a long time. I like the ability to be on the internet, while still being able to use my phone. However, the AirCard is an extra 50 or so on it's own, rather than the 15 via the phone.

Question, is either device faster than the other? Will the AirCard and the 8703 access the connection at the same speed?

Worf
09-28-2006, 02:08 PM
Get a new mac, and run windows on it. Macs, the best of both worlds

techman1
09-28-2006, 03:28 PM
Home > Support > Technical Knowledge Center
Back

How To - Connect a computer to the Internet using a CDMA or UMTS BlackBerry device as a tethered modem
Last Updated: 15 September 2006
Article Number: KB-04664

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Summary
This article applies to the following:

BlackBerry 7130e™
BlackBerry 7250 Wireless Handheld™
BlackBerry 8703e Wireless Handheld™
BlackBerry 8707g Wireless Handheld™
BlackBerry 8707v Wireless Handheld™
BlackBerry® Desktop Software version 4.1 and later
Microsoft® Windows® 2000 and Windows XP
Personal computer or laptop computer with an Intel® 486 or higher processor
Note: Research In Motion does not support using the BlackBerry device as a tethered modem. If you encounter a problem while administering this procedure, please contact your service provider.

Important: Contact your service provider to obtain the user name and password you require to configure dial-up networking. Also, ask your service provider if additional charges are incorporated when connecting to the Internet using the BlackBerry device as a tethered modem.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Procedure
A BlackBerry device (with tethered modem capability) can be used as an external modem to connect a personal computer or laptop computer to the Internet.

Summary of Tasks
To set up a tethered modem, complete the following tasks:

Install BlackBerry Desktop Software version 4.1 or later (one time only)
Configure dial-up networking (one time only)
Connect the BlackBerry device to BlackBerry Desktop Manager
Connect to the Internet using dial-up networking

Task 1
Install BlackBerry Desktop Software version 4.1 or later on the computer.

When you install desktop software, the drivers that enable the BlackBerry device to communicate through the USB port and virtual COM port are installed. The Standard Modem, which is used by dial-up networking, is also installed.

Note: If you are upgrading your BlackBerry Desktop Software from version 4.0 to 4.1, the required Virtual COM Port and Standard Modem might be removed during the upgrade process. If this is the case, re-install BlackBerry Desktop Software version 4.1 and choose the Repair option to re-install these components.

Task 2
To configure dial-up networking, complete the procedure that corresponds with the operating system you are using.

Windows XP Operating System
Go to Start > Settings > Network Connections.
Double-click New Connection Wizard. The New Connection Wizard opens.
Click Next.
Select the Connect to the Internet option. Click Next.
Select Setup my connection manually. Click Next.
Select Connect using a dial-up modem. Click Next.
If the Select a Device screen appears, select the Modem - Standard Modem check box. Click Next.
In the ISP Name field, type a name for your connection. Click Next.
In the Phone number field, type #777. Click Next.
Indicate which users will have access to the connection. Click Next.
Enter the user name and password provided by your service provider. Click Next.
Click Finish.
In the Connect window, click Properties.
In the Properties window, verify that Modem - Standard Modem appears beneath the Connect using heading, then click Configure.
In the Modem Configuration window, clear the Enable hardware flow control check box and make sure none of the other check boxes are selected. Click OK.
In the Properties window, click OK.
Windows 2000 Operating System
Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel.
Double-click Network and Dial-up Connections.
Double-click Make New Connection. The Network Connection Wizard opens.
Click Next.
Choose Dial-up to private network. Click Next.
Type a name for your connection. Click Finish.
In the Properties window, verify that Modem – Standard Modem is selected, then click Configure.
In the Modem Configuration window, clear the Enable hardware flow control check box and make sure none of the other check boxes are selected. Click OK.

Task 3
Connect the BlackBerry device to the computer and verify that BlackBerry Desktop Manager displays Connected. The BlackBerry device must be identified by BlackBerry Desktop Manager in order for the modem to establish a connection.

Important: BlackBerry Desktop Manager must be running for the tethered modem to function.

Note: If Microsoft Outlook® is not operating in cache mode, you might receive a message indicating that BlackBerry Desktop Manager cannot contact the messaging server. If this message appears, click Cancel to proceed.

Task 4
Connect to the Internet using dial-up networking.

Note: During this procedure, do not operate the BlackBerry Browser or any third-party applications on the BlackBerry device. An active data session may interfere with the modem connection. Also, make sure an ethernet connection is not active at the same time.

Connect the BlackBerry device to computer.
Open Blackberry Desktop Manager.
Click Start > Settings > Network Connections > <name of your new connection>.
Enter the user name and password provided by your service provider.
Click Dial.

Additional Information
For instructions on how to connect a computer to the Internet using a GPRS or EDGE BlackBerry device as a tethered modem, see KB-05196.

Keywords
tethered, modem, dial-up, dial, up, connection, internet, laptop, computer, CDMA

hope it works!

Tri-Tip
09-28-2006, 07:29 PM
Home > Support > Technical Knowledge Center
Back

How To - Connect a computer to the Internet using a CDMA or UMTS BlackBerry device as a tethered modem
Last Updated: 15 September 2006
Article Number: KB-04664

Summary
This article applies to the following:

BlackBerry 7130e™
BlackBerry 7250 Wireless Handheld™
BlackBerry 8703e Wireless Handheld™
BlackBerry 8707g Wireless Handheld™
BlackBerry 8707v Wireless Handheld™
BlackBerry® Desktop Software version 4.1 and later
Microsoft® Windows® 2000 and Windows XP
Personal computer or laptop computer with an Intel® 486 or higher processor
Note: Research In Motion does not support using the BlackBerry device as a tethered modem. If you encounter a problem while administering this procedure, please contact your service provider.

Important: Contact your service provider to obtain the user name and password you require to configure dial-up networking. Also, ask your service provider if additional charges are incorporated when connecting to the Internet using the BlackBerry device as a tethered modem.

Procedure
A BlackBerry device (with tethered modem capability) can be used as an external modem to connect a personal computer or laptop computer to the Internet.

Summary of Tasks
To set up a tethered modem, complete the following tasks:

Install BlackBerry Desktop Software version 4.1 or later (one time only)
Configure dial-up networking (one time only)
Connect the BlackBerry device to BlackBerry Desktop Manager
Connect to the Internet using dial-up networking

Task 1
Install BlackBerry Desktop Software version 4.1 or later on the computer.

When you install desktop software, the drivers that enable the BlackBerry device to communicate through the USB port and virtual COM port are installed. The Standard Modem, which is used by dial-up networking, is also installed.

Note: If you are upgrading your BlackBerry Desktop Software from version 4.0 to 4.1, the required Virtual COM Port and Standard Modem might be removed during the upgrade process. If this is the case, re-install BlackBerry Desktop Software version 4.1 and choose the Repair option to re-install these components.

Task 2
To configure dial-up networking, complete the procedure that corresponds with the operating system you are using.

Windows XP Operating System
Go to Start > Settings > Network Connections.
Double-click New Connection Wizard. The New Connection Wizard opens.
Click Next.
Select the Connect to the Internet option. Click Next.
Select Setup my connection manually. Click Next.
Select Connect using a dial-up modem. Click Next.
If the Select a Device screen appears, select the Modem - Standard Modem check box. Click Next.
In the ISP Name field, type a name for your connection. Click Next.
Enter the user name and password provided by your service provider. Click Next.
Click Finish.
In the Properties window, verify that Modem - Standard Modem appears beneath the Connect using heading, then click Configure.
Windows 2000 Operating System
Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel.
Double-click Network and Dial-up Connections.
Double-click Make New Connection. The Network Connection Wizard opens.
Click Next.
Choose Dial-up to private network. Click Next.
Type a name for your connection. Click Finish.
In the Properties window, verify that Modem – Standard Modem is selected, then click Configure.

Task 3
Connect the BlackBerry device to the computer and verify that BlackBerry Desktop Manager displays Connected. The BlackBerry device must be identified by BlackBerry Desktop Manager in order for the modem to establish a connection.

Important: BlackBerry Desktop Manager must be running for the tethered modem to function.

Note: If Microsoft Outlook® is not operating in cache mode, you might receive a message indicating that BlackBerry Desktop Manager cannot contact the messaging server. If this message appears, click Cancel to proceed.

Task 4
Connect to the Internet using dial-up networking.

Note: During this procedure, do not operate the BlackBerry Browser or any third-party applications on the BlackBerry device. An active data session may interfere with the modem connection. Also, make sure an ethernet connection is not active at the same time.

Connect the BlackBerry device to computer.
Open Blackberry Desktop Manager.
Click Start > Settings > Network Connections > <name of your new connection>.
Enter the user name and password provided by your service provider.
Click Dial.

Additional Information
For instructions on how to connect a computer to the Internet using a GPRS or EDGE BlackBerry device as a tethered modem, see KB-05196.

Keywords
tethered, modem, dial-up, dial, up, connection, internet, laptop, computer, CDMA

hope it works!

Or you could just pop in the CD that came in the box with the Blackberry and follow the prompts. It installs faster than you can read the above instructions.

wildmomo
09-29-2006, 12:48 AM
I am using the tethered connection almost exclusively for my personal laptop at work.

A couple of nuances I have found -

- if i dont use the same usb port, i have to run the wizard again

- sometimes SMS fails to work when it is tethered

- Sometimes data seems to get excessive timeouts when on a voice call (suspect that may be BB CPU related)

- make sure you have the latest Verizon VZAccess Manager, I found that it seems to deal with non-graceful disconnects better than the older version I originally got in the Box with the 8703e, which I dont understand how the older version of the software got in the box in the first place

Other than that, it works friggin awesome, driving , in the office, 1 bar, you name it... no complaints here. Well worth the 15 bucks a month price.

w