PDA

View Full Version : GPRS vs. EDGE

NeptuneIT
09-22-2006, 02:06 PM
I have a user who only gets one bar of service when on the EDGE network on his 7130c. It will sometimes drop out completely. After it drops out completely, GPRS will pick up and he has 5 bars of service then. As soon as he moves down the road a little more, EDGE will pick back up and get him only one bar.

He is wondering if there is a way to manually configure his 7130c to prefer the GPRS network vs. the EDGE network. Any ideas? Thanks!

mymitsu3kgt
09-23-2006, 03:00 PM
I don't see any options in the menu to specify which data network you want to use. It just sets a priority on the EDGE network and uses GPRS as a backup. Although, I would bet that one bar of EDGE is still faster than five bars of GPRS.

Les Armitage
09-24-2006, 05:36 AM
In the scheme of things I think it goes like this:

3G: fastest = 3
EDGE: = 2.5
GPRS: = 2
gprs: 1.5
GSM: dont bother

Blackberrys are always trying to find the fastest :razz:

NJBlackBerry
09-24-2006, 07:18 AM
Neptune - that is a tower issue. There is no way to manually configure a 7130c to pick up GPRS only.

Les - that's ALMOST right.

GSM is voice and SMS only. So a discussion of data is immaterial.
gprs means you have found a GPRS network, but can't log in. Again, speed is immaterial.

GPRS and EDGE are correct. EVDO is currently the fastest in the US - new technologies (UMTS, HSPDA) are coming soon. UMTS is already available in parts of the world outside of the US.

NeptuneIT
09-25-2006, 08:49 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I'll let him know there isn't a way to manually set it.