PDA

View Full Version : Desktop Backup and thousands of messages

ZeroKool
09-23-2006, 03:58 PM
win2k3 / 3.0 / 2gigs
Bes 4.1 / 2 users

Just put new user on BES. Had him wipe and reactivate to new BES. He did a selective backup before the wipe and then restored after activation.
He just backed up his 7,000 email messages that he HAS to have....

apon reactivation, the BES sends a MAX of 350 emails / 7days.
(from my understanding) Complete.

He then did a selective restore of all his messages. Everything worked.

Couple hours go by and they slowly start to disapeer... the next morning they are all gone and he's back to the 350 (default) messages the BES sent to him originally.

Is this a BES setting thing or what? Very Strange.

d_fisher
09-23-2006, 04:27 PM
By default the device automatically deletes messages after 30 days. You can change it to retain emai lforever, but if the device runs out of space it will delete the oldest messages to make room for new ones.

I would tell your user that if he wants to keep all his messages forever he needs to get a different device. The BlackBerry has limited storage space and is not designed to retain old messages. That is what your email client is for. besides, how often does your user actually need to pull up messages older than one month?

Sorry, I will stop ranting now. I get similiar requests at work all the time.

ZeroKool
09-23-2006, 10:13 PM
Awesome. That's exactly what I was thinking.
But.... (device 8700) User was able to restore all the messages over and look at them after activation. Im not exactly sure how large the backup was but I'm guessing just below the max of what the handheld can hold. And when the BlackBerry started working more it needed more memory so started deleting. Kinda weird it stoped deleting right around 300-400. And thats also the max mail size the BES sends over to the BB. ??Coincidence??

Also. This USER is the President and CEO of the company so they can have as large a mail file as they would like.

Aroc
09-24-2006, 12:05 AM
what did you do a desktop manager backup of? did he have a 8700 before? or was this a different model BlackBerry? same device but just on a different BES server? if so, wat's different about the new BES?

ZeroKool
09-24-2006, 09:38 PM
He has had the same handheld for a long time. He did a selective backup and restore. The Bes is exactly the same. Just new box. Same network and domain. Everything is set to default.

Aroc
09-25-2006, 06:59 AM
Interesting. I don't know. Maybe call the carrier to have them open a case with RIM or call RIM directly if you have T-Support (I'm sure you are aware of these options already).
Sorry I can't be of more help.