PDA

View Full Version : attachments

smketer
10-02-2006, 10:27 PM
Hi Everyone,
I have been a long time berry user. But my work is having me try the Treo. I like some of the things on it but hate having to type on this hsitty thing.

One thing I do like is that I can keep a PDF on Treo and then attach that to a email. Can the new 8700 from sprint do this, where I can keep a PDF or other word attachment and then email it out.

Thanks,
SMK

plchan
10-03-2006, 12:29 AM
i do not know if the "Sprint" 8700 would do. However, the 8700g from TMO does not allow you to attach files (word / excel / pictures / pdf) in email to send them out.

JerryD
10-03-2006, 04:11 AM
Hi Everyone,
I have been a long time berry user. But my work is having me try the Treo. I like some of the things on it but hate having to type on this hsitty thing.

One thing I do like is that I can keep a PDF on Treo and then attach that to a email. Can the new 8700 from sprint do this, where I can keep a PDF or other word attachment and then email it out.

Thanks,
SMK
OK - after a few experiments I think I have the answer. Prelims first. I'm on BES 4.0 and Cingular BIS 2. Your results may vary depending on your BES or BIS implementation.

First, you can't attach anything to an email originating from your BlackBerry except an entry in your address book which is a text file - one for each entry you send, and when received by another BlackBerry user can be added to their Address Book directly from the email. The 'no attachment' rule may be different on a "multimedia" BlackBerry (aka Pearl).

You can forward an attachment you receive in an email as long as you use the same service you received the message from. This kind of makes sense in that the service you send from has to find the attachment on the server to forward it. One thing to note (and this kind of gave away this rule) - you do NOT have to download the attachment to forward it.

For example, if you receive an email with an attachment from your BES account and want to forward it FROM say your Yahoo account, you first have to email it FROM your BIS account to your Yahoo account, and once you get it in from your Yahoo account you can forward it using your Yahoo account.

Note that when you forward an email using your BlackBerry, you can NOT Edit the original email - that is, remove forwarding info or change the original message.

Pizzle
10-03-2006, 12:32 PM
Correct. Can't save text-based attachments yet, nor attach anything to an e-mail.

Might look into eOffice and see if there's some additional functionality you can get out of that...

sergeyd
10-21-2006, 10:15 PM
eOffice let's you attach documents to e-mails - you can e-mail a doc or a spreadsheet as an attachment or use eWorks to compose an e-mail with multiple attachments of different types.