PDA

View Full Version : SMS Questions?

redcopus
10-08-2006, 09:55 PM
Hi there!

I saw the gurus suggesting ways to send SMS via EMAIL'S..that works well and really takes care of sending SMS to buddies without making mycingular rich.. Was just curious if there a way for my friends to send SMS msgs to my EMAIL from their regular mobiles(non-BB) ? Am I asking too much??:oops:

Yes..I could have used Yahoo msgr (BB version) to get messages from a mobile.. well that used to work not sure now (Mobile SMS to Yahoo Messenger). But unfortunately Cingular is not in support of Yahoo Messegers for Blackberry.. So is there anyother msger that Is free on air and used to serve this purpose?

Blackberry doesn't know me well..may be Its just me..we will get there soon.. hope is mine..Thanks in Advance!! G

**my Homepage..this is the site..

plchan
10-08-2006, 10:16 PM
i am not sure about the cingular.. in tmo, you can send the sms, with the first line as the email address, to the phone number 500.

redcopus
10-08-2006, 11:52 PM
sorry I couldn't catch up your pace..

so SMS can be sent from a normal phone to any email ex myemail@<hidden> by just specifying the email add as the first line in the SMS msg.. And later part "500" ??? I lost here. Can you be a little more specific. Is this 500 Tmobile boundary?

arul
10-09-2006, 12:13 AM
I think what plchan meant to say was to compose your text msg (starting with the email address of the recipient as the first line of your text) and send the message to 500 (instead of a phone number you would normally do). I guess the mobile operator will then forward the text to the email recipient.

plchan
10-09-2006, 01:15 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

sorry I couldn't catch up your pace..

so SMS can be sent from a normal phone to any email ex myemail@<hidden> by just specifying the email add as the first line in the SMS msg.. And later part "500" ??? I lost here. Can you be a little more specific. Is this 500 Tmobile boundary?

I believe the number 500 is the tmo sms-to-email gateway.

plchan
10-09-2006, 01:18 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

By the way, if ur friend is going to send you sms to your email, ain't your friend going to pay for the charge of the sms unless he/she has the unlimited msging plan?

redcopus
10-09-2006, 02:55 PM
yes all my friends who use SMS do have unlimited. So I guess that should not be an extra burden to them. Thanks for all your help.

plchan
10-09-2006, 04:10 PM
yes all my friends who use SMS do have unlimited. So I guess that should not be an extra burden to them. Thanks for all your help.

on the other hand, may be your friends to install the yahoo / aim messenger which uses SMS only, you can send IMs to your friends and they got charged as SMS.