Stinsonddog
10-09-2006, 09:03 PM
https://my.garmin.com/gmbg/bb.faces

K-Mack
10-09-2006, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the tip!

jungleland
10-10-2006, 08:51 AM
I see nothing..Went to the link and nada...

Greg8700G
10-10-2006, 08:54 AM
Worked for me....

jungleland
10-10-2006, 09:15 AM
Worked for me....

what worked for you? Please elaborate on what you saw...

Stinsonddog
10-10-2006, 09:32 AM
I see nothing..Went to the link and nada...

Try this -

https://my.garmin.com/gmbg/start.faces

Put in your 8700.

I am not sure but the pricing of this seems to be $340. $199 for the gps unit and a one year subscription. The show maps as an accessory for $140. See attached which I can't find detail on the Garmin site. If this price is true, I think it's a non-starter. Base price too high if you have to pay an annual subscription fee.

jungleland
10-10-2006, 09:52 AM
Try this -

Put in your 8700.

I am not sure but the pricing of this seems to be $340. $199 for the gps unit and a one year subscription. They show maps as an accessory for $140. See attached which I can't find detail on the Garmin site. If this price is true, I think it's a non-starter. Base price too high if you have to pay an annual subscription fee.

Thanks...It looks great...I have used Garmin navi products before and they get the best map data for Navteq available. I love garmin and Look forward to trying their stuff out on my bb just as soon as Verizon enables GPS

hf1khal
10-10-2006, 03:08 PM
Try this -

Put in your 8700.

I am not sure but the pricing of this seems to be $340. $199 for the gps unit and a one year subscription. The show maps as an accessory for $140. See attached which I can't find detail on the Garmin site. If this price is true, I think it's a non-starter. Base price too high if you have to pay an annual subscription fee.

I looked into it, but I thought the prices were 199 and 249. However, like you said, they don't say what is the annual renewal fee is. But if it is at $140 annually I would rather get a real one and connect to my 8700 to get use of the voice dialing in them and it will be a one time fee (a bit over $500) and it would solve a lot more than having GPS.

jungleland
10-10-2006, 03:23 PM
I looked into it, but I thought the prices were 199 and 249. However, like you said, they don't say what is the annual renewal fee is. But if it is at $140 annually I would rather get a real one and connect to my 8700 to get use of the voice dialing in them and it will be a one time fee (a bit over $500) and it would solve a lot more than having GPS.

Not really true...If you buy the external full GPS unit for your car, you will layout at least 500 bucks and that will NOT entitle you to map updates...However, if you do the annual subscription for 150 (which is a lot in my opinion) you get constant updates and also get real time weather, traffic, etc...

So, if you have their mobile subscription for 4 years, you have laid out 600 bucks and at every single second have the latest map data, along with all other real time info available...If you buy the external unit, you can have map data that is not complete in a few months, and also, if you want traffic info, that's an extra subscription on top of the big, one time layout for the external...

Stinsonddog
10-10-2006, 03:31 PM

Pricing - I think map updates are generally not full price, but I also don't know the breakdown of the 199 between the gps unit and the subcription, and finally, they don't even the Mapping product described on their Map pages so there are alot of I don't knows.

hf1khal
10-10-2006, 03:43 PM
TO be honest with you, I would not get the updates on annual basis no matter what as from experience on GPS units I used the areas that matter seem to be updated about once every 3 years. and don't forget the $199 or $249 upfront for the Unit itself. No matter what if it was less of an annual fee I might consider it but not for now. I would opt to wait and hope that some how RIM will come up with the GPS for one of its new units (like they did with the 8100) and go for that one isntead and this way I get a new BB instead of the GPS unit.

Edit, (re stinsondog's reply) Yes, and I agree with you. What get me is the accessories and what you showed above. I think the best thing to do is wait untill it is officialy released.

BrentM
10-10-2006, 08:14 PM
I am new to the BB world. I had to give up my iPAQ 6515 for the BB8700C. In my previous life, I used TomTom religously, but no TomTom on BB... So I have tried several BB GPS programs and found that TeleNav is the best.

But - I am hopeful that Garmin mobile for BB will be closer to what I had with TomTom.

Garmin's website for the GPS 20SM and Garmin Mobile shows a car cradle that has the speakerphone+GPS... and also shows the software. It mentions that the software is on a SD card. So - where are we suppose to put this SD card with the maps??? Is there a SD slot in the car cradle? That would be a neat way to get SD functionality with our 8700s...

Enquiring minds wanna know!

Thanks guys!