PDA

View Full Version : How can you force the browser to html sites instead of wap?

JohnBoyWalton
10-10-2006, 06:32 AM
I've come across a few sites that I just cannot seem to get to the real site as the browser always directs to the wap site.

I've tinkered with all the options (content mode set to html only and emulations) and from time to time I just cannot get to the html site.

For example, nfl.com. I've spent 10min trying to access the full site but it won't so I finally brought it up in opera. Like I said, I've come across a few sites like this but at the moment can't think of the others.

markhutchison
10-10-2006, 09:19 AM
Wirelessly posted (7250/4.1.0.268, Bell Mobility: BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/109)

From within the browser go to Options/Browser Configuration and set Content Mode to HTML Only.

If that does not work then the problem you are seeing is, probably, server-side. There may be code that is recognizing your BlackBerry's browser as a mobile device and automatically adjusting the HTML output accordingly.

penk
10-10-2006, 10:00 PM
the specific browser icon you access can affect this, as well as where you (may) have placed bookmarks. be sure to save bookmarks under Blackberry Bookmarks and not the carrier's WAP section (e.g. Download Fun for T-Mobile).

as for the websites that detect your IP as being of wireless origin and divert you to their stripped down content (see below): four years ago when WAP was still a burgeoning distraction this would have been quite helpful. but with more and more handsets featuring xhtml browsers or better, and with more processing power and larger screens... "thanks but no thanks!"

austin's hometown "news" paper (man does it suck) the American Statesman corners you into their wireless site; give it a shot: Austin American-Statesman | statesman.com (http://www.statesman.com)

profet
10-11-2006, 07:06 AM
the specific browser icon you access can affect this, as well as where you (may) have placed bookmarks. be sure to save bookmarks under Blackberry Bookmarks and not the carrier's WAP section (e.g. Download Fun for T-Mobile).

as for the websites that detect your IP as being of wireless origin and divert you to their stripped down content (see below): four years ago when WAP was still a burgeoning distraction this would have been quite helpful. but with more and more handsets featuring xhtml browsers or better, and with more processing power and larger screens... "thanks but no thanks!"

http://www.blackberryforums.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=342169
austin's hometown "news" paper (man does it suck) the American Statesman corners you into their wireless site; give it a shot: Austin American-Statesman | statesman.com (http://www.statesman.com)

I doubt ANY site's use IP addy's to determine content type.

Most servers use the information provided by the browser to determine content type.

Go to options->Browser Configuration->Emulation mode and try changing it to Internet explorer.

rjw3000
10-11-2006, 01:08 PM
The browser must send some kind of info to the web server to determine it is a handheld/wireless device, I tried pretty much every combination in the browser settings with NFL.com - Official Site of the National Football League (http://www.nfl.com) and never could get it to go to the regular site. If you speak spanish, the nfllatino.com site comes up in the browser.

markhutchison
10-11-2006, 01:24 PM
I doubt ANY site's use IP addy's to determine content type.

Most servers use the information provided by the browser to determine content type.
Agreed, the IP address would not likely be used for determining the content output; however, changing the emulation mode will not disguise the fact that it is a mobile device requesting Web content from the server. Regardless of the settings you use, the UserAgent information passed from the handheld to the server will still identify the request as coming from a BlackBerry device. From what I can tell, the Emulation Mode setting simply controls how the HTML is parsed by the handheld once it is received from the server.

rjw3000
10-11-2006, 02:53 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Did a little looking into this, here is the agent info that gets sent from my blackberry, so the server sees it as a blackberry.

Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100

rjw3000
10-11-2006, 03:48 PM
haha, it shows it right in my post above the agent info.

changing the emulation changes the Agent info slighty as well depending on the choice of emulation you pick. Mine above was with Microsoft IE as the emulation.