PDA

View Full Version : No data option?

jp_nyc
10-11-2006, 04:04 PM
I'm thinking of getting the 8100, my first smartphone. If I get an unlocked Pearl, can I just use the chip from my Ericsson phone and not subscribe to data service? I'm not really interested in checking email or surfing the web on the phone just yet.

I use T-Mobile.

Thanks for any input.

d_fisher
10-11-2006, 04:08 PM
No BlackBerry data plan = no web or email.

jp_nyc
10-11-2006, 05:47 PM
I know that.

My question was, can I transfer the T-Mobile chip in my Ericsson phone to the 8100, without adding a data plan for email and web.

beaditya
10-11-2006, 06:33 PM
Yes u can

BOHIC
10-12-2006, 01:10 PM
You don't even need an unlocked Pearl since you're using T-Mobile. One that is locked to T-Mobile will work just fine for you and might be able to be found for cheaper.

jp_nyc
10-12-2006, 06:12 PM
Great, thanks!

rambo47
10-12-2006, 07:32 PM
.....but no web or email. TZones will not help you.

BBChristopher
10-12-2006, 07:33 PM
Not trying to be difficult, but what is the reason to get a pearl w/no data or email?
There are plenty of phones with better cameras and media abilities....

Just wondering....

jp_nyc
10-12-2006, 07:40 PM
I need street address storage and the ability to take notes, the first of which I don't have on my Ericsson, the second being rather limited.

I might add a data plan later on if I need to access email and web. I don't use T-zones.

I've held off on getting a Palm or Treo, both of which I find too clunky for what I need.

I think the Pearl allows downloads of word documents also, which will be a great plus.

Dubdub
10-12-2006, 10:21 PM
I need street address storage and the ability to take notes, the first of which I don't have on my Ericsson, the second being rather limited.

I might add a data plan later on if I need to access email and web. I don't use T-zones.

I've held off on getting a Palm or Treo, both of which I find too clunky for what I need.

I think the Pearl allows downloads of word documents also, which will be a great plus.

Don't think you can download tot he Pearl without a data plan. Plus, unless the Pearl is different from other BBs, it doesn't edit word documents very well.

takeshi
10-13-2006, 08:11 AM
Not trying to be difficult, but what is the reason to get a pearl w/no data or email?
There are plenty of phones with better cameras and media abilities....

Just wondering....
The Blackberry is plenty useful even without a data plan (though personally, I use BES). It's PIM features aren't the best but for me they're more than sufficient. You can still sync via Desktop Manager/Intellisync to Outlook or other PIM apps. Plus if one does want email or internet access down the road, it's just a matter of adding the data plan and setting things up.

Not everyone has the same needs but thankfully we do have options.