PDA

View Full Version : 7290 q's

darkpbstar
10-15-2006, 11:58 PM
hey, I'm new here. I am thinking of getting a 7290, they are only 99.99 right now, which is just an awsome price, and was just wondering what your guy's/girl's imput was on it. I am a full time student, and think this could be really useful for me. They are all comptuer classes, (computer programming is waht I'm going for) and my 2 of my classes has weekly lectures online that he posts and you download them and watch them(powerpoints). with the 7290 would I be able to download a lecture and watch and/or listen to it? aslo, would I be able to do word documents on it? thanks, I'll check back later tonite or tomorrow.

darkpbstar
10-16-2006, 01:35 AM
Please help me out, I am a newb and could use all of your help. thanks

kasperapd
10-16-2006, 02:09 AM
Well, first off you can be patient for a reply. You will get answers once others have a chance to read your question. The price is good, but is that with a contract? If so, you can find better deals on a newer device on Amazon, or several other places on the web. I have never tried viewing a PowerPoint on my BB, but the issues I'm thinking will be a problem are file size, and along with that, download speed. The 7290 only has 32MB memory, and does not have EDGE. Another issue, is that I think a third party app is required to even view a slideshow. Try searching the forums for more info on how powerpoint will work with the BB.

takeshi
10-16-2006, 08:12 AM
I seriously doubt that you want to view Powerpoint files if the Blackberry supports the format (which I also doubt).

NJBlackBerry
10-16-2006, 08:38 AM
Not even two hours between posts. In the middle of the night. Talk about instant gratification.

You can view Word and Powerpoint documents, but remember that the screen is only a few square inches, and may not do what you want. The major strength of the BlackBerry are secure wireless e-mail.

The 7290 is still a good BlackBerry, but the 8700 is better (faster, more memory, etc.).

headtailgrep
10-16-2006, 11:58 AM
Your a student -- can you afford $20-50/month on the service fees?

Jacinta2030
10-16-2006, 03:23 PM
didn't know if I had to start a new thread or not so I apologize ahead of time.
using 7290, BIS
(used one, my husband's IT guy gave it to me....probably a used one from a former employee.)
Can't change the password setting to "disable", no such option
I've been trying all day to wipe the IT Policy (says default)...based on previous threads in the forums, used the document from a previous thread that supposedly wipes the policy bin and creates another. did that, still can't disable pwd.
re-installed software, re-booted machine, wiped device...
now I'm trying to run application loader and its asking for device pwd. from experience, after so many tries it wipes my handheld and I have to reinstall. which I've already done now twice!
any suggestions?
No access to BES to get a blank policy...
Using SIM card from my 7280 device.

joaquin654
10-16-2006, 07:25 PM
7290 user here ... you can view all types of files on the 7290 and memory is more than enough for most files . EDGE is not that much faster in real world situations .... just a tad . i have the 8700c with EDGE and i still use my 7290 more often even with its GPRS speeds .... which are pretty quick to me . i also check UPS.com and fedex.com sites alot and on my GPRS 7290 everything loads pretty quickly .... no EDGE necessarry . :bb: for life !

archer6
11-06-2006, 04:58 PM
7290 user here ...

I am thinking of selling my 8700c because I find the keyboard too cramped and the keys poorly shaped. I nearly purchased a 7290 instead of the 8700, however knowing how fast tech moves forward I thought perhaps the 8700 was the best choice: Wrong!

I simply cannot adjust to the horrible keyboard and I really like the keyboard of the 7290. My question is: How much longer ( I know it's a guess ) do you think that the 7290 will remain in the lineup and continue to be supported by BB?

Another questoin that comes to mind is how is the screen brightness, some say that it's dim. How do you like it?

If I could get 12 to 18 months from a 7290 I woud be very happy.

Thanks for the feedback, I'm open to any suggestions, Thanks.

TheDaddy
11-07-2006, 07:22 AM
I love my 7290 8-)