PDA

View Full Version : MSN Messenger = Text Message on TMO?

sunnyyan1
10-16-2006, 03:04 AM
I have 8700 G with TMO with unlimited data plan, I have noticed using MSN Messenger on my BB actually cost extra since MSN Messenger on BB might be considered as Text Message (which cost extra).

Can anyone confirm this? Thanks.

phjnky
10-16-2006, 10:53 AM
I have 8700 G with TMO with unlimited data plan, I have noticed using MSN Messenger on my BB actually cost extra since MSN Messenger on BB might be considered as Text Message (which cost extra).

Can anyone confirm this? Thanks.

apparently that is the case. if you view billing detail you might find that you are being charged 10 cents for each message. I've seen this in my bill but only on a phone with the unlimited blackberry service and not the unlimited internet plan.

I'm using ramble since it utilizes your data connection rather than sms msging.

I try to watch my usage closely.. the roaming charges overseas can get out of hand quickly!

on edit.. i just noticed you have unlimited data and while using that plan i don't recall being charged for instant messages like with the blackberry unlimited.

kasperapd
10-16-2006, 11:06 AM
If you are using the OZ Messenger client that came with the 8700G, then yes, it uses SMS, and not data. Every message you send/recieve using the OZ Messenger will count against your SMS.

sunnyyan1
10-16-2006, 11:22 AM
If you are using the OZ Messenger client that came with the 8700G, then yes, it uses SMS, and not data. Every message you send/recieve using the OZ Messenger will count against your SMS.

Yes, I do use the OZ messenger client came with my 8700g. Since this client cost extra with TMO, anyone know other messenger client for BB which won't be treated as TEXT messages.

Not sure if TMO made disclosure like this, but if they havn't, they should let people know OZ messenger will be charged as text messages and cost extra.

kasperapd
10-16-2006, 02:47 PM
You can look at IM+ from Shape Services. It is a good app, but isn't free. Try doing a search on the forums for instant messaging, and you will find numerous threads about several different apps.. some free, some not.

plchan
10-16-2006, 09:15 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Yes, I do use the OZ messenger client came with my 8700g. Since this client cost extra with TMO, anyone know other messenger client for BB which won't be treated as TEXT messages.

Not sure if TMO made disclosure like this, but if they havn't, they should let people know OZ messenger will be charged as text messages and cost extra.

For the very first time after you installed the oz messenger, it asks u if u want to allow the sms connection. it does "disclose" it is using the text msg as sending the msgs.