PDA

View Full Version : Blackberry, the device for me?

undefinedfunction
10-16-2006, 05:29 AM
Hi all

I am after some suggestions and advice here.

I run my own small business and am on the move a fair bit. I am usually at a computer for most of the day but this is now changing with me on the move alot more. I currently have a HP HW6915 (windows mobile) with loads of features I dont use. The one feature i do use is a royal pain in the backside. email.

This is where a blackberry may be the answer to my problems.

I have 3 emails accounts I use throughout the day and currently access them via the IMAP protocol but my current network and phone device just doesnt work very well (reconfigure the proxy settings disable wireless etc and often something goes wrong so I have to fix it).

All I need is a device where I can make and take phone calls and manage my emails over gprs/3g etc etc. I dont need a camera, gps or any fancy programs.

I am just wondering if the blackberry works with the IMAP protocol ? I am not after push email really, as long as I can schedule a sync or check with the IMAP server. Although I may look at push email in the future.

If the blackberry works with IMAP how well does it work? would it suit my needs?

Are there any other solutions which might suit my needs?

I was looking at BlackBerry 8700v™ on Vodafone in the UK.

Thanks for your time
Adam (y) 8-)

takeshi
10-16-2006, 08:10 AM
You can't get email on a Blackberry without using push (except maybe webmail) as the Blackberry is a push device. It doesn't directly support POP3 or IMAP. BIS does support IMAP accounts but I believe that there are some caveats. Have you checked the FAQ's?

Assuming that there are no IMAP issues that would rule out the Blackberry it sounds like a good fit for you.

Texas_Traveler
10-16-2006, 08:27 AM
If you get a BlackBerry with BIS service, you can access email on up to 10 POP or IMAP email accounts. Works great. I would bet you would like the push email . A BlackBerry seems like a great choice for a small business owner on the go. I'd look at the 8700. Great phone and full keyboard.

bertiebassett
10-16-2006, 10:16 AM
Hi Adam

on thing texas_traveller didn't note which might be really really handy, is that you mention you have three different accounts. It's really easy on an 8700 or similar blackberry with BIS 2.0 to use multiple accounts, as each one has there own icon on the screeen, and have their own 'reply-too' addresses. so it's be real easy to have 3 email identities - e.g.

Adambusiness1
adambusiness2
adamsocial

plus sign up with an email to fax service and you can view any faxes you've received on the screen..

archer6
10-16-2006, 10:46 AM
Greetings Adam,

I'm a new BlackBerry user, (just one week) I had the same requirements as you list. I have three email accounts, Yahoo, business 1 and business 2. I'm on Cingular and signed up for BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS).

The experience I have had is simply fantastic! POP accounts no problem, now I have constant availability which is actually a time saver for me.

I did not want a camera or music or any other entertainment stuff. I want to do business quickly and efficiently and this BB is the answer.

Like you mentioned, intially I did not want push mail, now that I have experienced it, I cannot imagine not having it. You will find that a BlackBerry will fill your needs exactly the way you want.

Finally there is the choice of which BB. That is the decision that took the longest for me. At first glance I thought 8700c as it had the full size querty keyboard. However I also looked at the 7130c which is smaller and shaped like a regular cell phone, so you can use it one handed.

So I chose the 7130c and I'm truly satisfied. After just a week I have learned the SureType input method and found it a clever way to input text quickly and accurately.

Hope this helps
Cheers...

dhendriksen
10-16-2006, 02:29 PM
I use four email accounts, two IMAP, and two POP3. I am with T-Mobile, and I assume every carriers BIS works the same. I am just like you - no entertainment stuff (although Brickbreaker is addicting), just my contacts from my outlook and my email on the go. This device rocks, as all my emails integrate nicely, have there own signatures, and come instantly. I tell, thats the best $20 or $30 I spend every month.

acklan
10-17-2006, 06:47 AM
I have been on the Cingular BIS for about one month and have 2 email (pop3) accounts set up via the BIS. I have selective contacts just forwarded with the "Message Rules" in Outlook Express. I find the Message Rules very effective in weeding out Spam. I only have the emails I know are important forwarded and I deal with the spam or non-priority email when I get to the office\home.