PDA

View Full Version : Persistent Unread Message Notification Icon

nusigf
10-17-2006, 06:45 PM
I have an 8100 Pearl and have had various BBs on BES since Oct 2003

I'm getting a persistent unread message notification icon (the one that looks like a yellow envelope). The little red star indicating "New Message" goes away once I exit out of the inbox, but the yellow envelope icon remains.

What I've done:
1) Cleared Phone logs
2) Cleared all folders under messages
3) Cleared all saved messages
4) Cleared all inbox messages
5) Reinstalled handheld software for BlackBerry Upgrade

There's nothing on this phone, not even Grandma Millie's Chicken Pot Pie recipe, except:
-Google Maps
-Blackberry Messenger
-265 contacts, give or take
-Browser links from 2 years ago (where did those get stored? I switched from AT&T to TMo to Cingular and TMo again. I created those links when I first entered into contract with TMo, and they've followed me around... the only thing that's stayed the same is the phone number... which I keep porting).

Anywho...

Suggestions? Oh yes, I did remove the Battery, and while it does reset the counter, it's only temporary... the number comes back and continues to increment...

Any help would be appreciated.

justin.culp
10-17-2006, 07:27 PM
Wirelessly posted (8700...Oh snap!: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Did you actually open up the "messages" folder? I had an envelope for ever....in a folder I never accessed.

nusigf
10-18-2006, 04:11 PM
Yep, opened and cleared every SINGLE folder... I think I may have pinpointed the cause at least... I'll post that next.

wichita
10-18-2006, 04:18 PM
Try a battery pull. I get those every now and then on my 8700g. Battery pull works everytime.

nusigf
10-18-2006, 04:28 PM
As a follow up to the above note, I should've mentioned that I have mine connected to a BES and get Lotus Notes (6.5) message sent to it.

Base setup: I have two mail servers; one sends email to my desktop version of Notes, and, since I've been signed up for BB service, it also forwards messages over to my BES server, which send them over to my Pearl via TMo. One other thing is that actions I take on the Pearl or my Notes client are not replicated to the other (e.g., if I delete an email on the Pearl, it still exists on my Notes client... this is standard and completely acceptable to me).

1) I receive two emails for every single one that's sent; one on my client, one on the Pearl (standard/acceptable).
2a) I reply to it on my Pearl. This reply is synch'd OTA to my desktop via the servers and ends up in my "Sent Items" folder (standard/acceptable)
2b) I reply to it on my Notes client and a message shows up on the Pearl as a sent message (i.e., it has the "checkmark" icon in the messages folder next to the message, which is standard/acceptable).

In situation 2b, above... the message indicator thinks this a new message and increments the "unread" messages icon on the desktop.

So basically, the "unread" message counter on my Pearl REALLY only counts the number of emails I write from my Lotus Notes account. I've even tried creating a filter to block emails sent from my Lotus Notes account to my Pearl.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

nusigf
10-18-2006, 04:29 PM
Try a battery pull. I get those every now and then on my 8700g. Battery pull works everytime.
The battery pull does work, but that's only a temporary fix as the emails start to increment again. This wouldn't be unbearable except it never stops...

nusigf
11-04-2006, 01:40 AM
Email reconciliation was off. I don't like to have my blackberry delete mails from my inbox. I only noticed that it started doing that when I had the Nokia 9100, so I turned email reconciliation off on the Nokia (BB) desktop manager. Once I switched to the 8700, and then to the Pearl, the setting persisted, but wasn't an issue with the 8700...

Which leads me to another question...

I deleted the desktop manager, I did a "wipe handheld" from the options - security - general settings menu, I re-installed the handheld software by going to the c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader folder, deleting the vendor.xml and launching the loader.exe, selecting the apps I wanted, clicked the advanced button to select the option to NOT backup and restore the handheld... and STILL, some of the settings persisted (like my signature file).

I even did a registry cleanup before reinstalling the software to the handheld(our company has a BB uninstall script that cleans up the mess of install, including .xml settings scripts).

SO, I gotta ask... how did this setting persist between handhelds and different versions of the the desktop manager? The only common piece was the laptop I was using...

Feckless
01-29-2007, 05:42 PM
Hi Newsigf,

I am a new BB user and have just configured my company BB setup (Small company, 4 users.) We have what sounds like exactly the same problem.

As you are, we are also running Lotus Domino 6.5 alongside BES 4.2.

And as you explained every sent mail from our Notes client is appearing on the device as an unread message. Very irritating. Viewing the message in the sent items folder clears the mail from the theme screen, but the unread mail icon remains, counting up for each mail sent.

Pulling the battery clears it.

I have referred this though my service provider (T-Mobile UK) to RIM and they have declared this a software bug that will be fixed in an upcoming software release / service pack. Not a very satisfactory answer, and i am still pushing them for a resolution.

We definately have email reconciliation turned on. But any further information you could give me would much appreciated.

Apologies for the lengthy post.

Thanks in advance.

nusigf
02-06-2007, 01:08 AM
Yep, in trying to debug this mess, there were only two causes that I could find. One was "Email reconciliation" and the other was an unread email or message in a different folder. Going to the "Messages" icon put me in the inbox, by default, but by depressing the wheel or menu button, I could select a different folder, so an SMS message or IM would show up as an unread message. If you "Save" a message without opening it, this will cause that to happen as well.

Since you have "Email reconciliation" turned on (make double sure...), you might want to check your BES setup. I doubt you're doing it like we did it. My old company provisioned 2 email accounts for every BB user. One that was the master, that would synch to the BB Notes server. This server would not synch back to the primary, so you could delete crap off of your BB, and the secondary server, but it wouldn't affect your primary mail server... Ah, to live in the redundancy of Federal Regulatory Bodies and the retention of electronic messages...

So, you might want to make sure that your single Notes server is only posting incoming messages to the inbox and not another "folder" simultaneously on the BB. Which, again, by your description, shouldn't be the case since a battery pull clears the icon... which again, points me to "Email reconciliation".

I don't remember how to get there, but it was a configuration on the BB handheld itself, not through the desktop manager. I think it was in the Options configurations, but since I've left my old company and have a SUCKY Treo, I no longer have to worry about silly things like duplicate email notifications or, for that matter, ANY email notifications.

Hope that helps.

takeshi
02-06-2007, 09:25 AM
SO, I gotta ask... how did this setting persist between handhelds and different versions of the the desktop manager? The only common piece was the laptop I was using...
You need to look at the Blackberry as a "front-end". In other words, the things you're asking about are stored either on the BES or in your email system (Exchange/Notes/whatever). A lot of people overlook the BIS or BES which really does a lot of the work behind the scenes.

So really, the "common piece" is the BES and email system.