PDA

View Full Version : BES Remote Management Tool for BlackBerry device??

jazz12232
10-19-2006, 02:33 PM
Has anyone come across an app that you can accomplish remote BES administration from your BlackBerry device such as add users, disable users, set activation passwords etc.... ? Sure would be nice to be able to add users to the BES and set an activation password from my BlackBerry when I'm out of the office instead of using my laptop to vpn in and ............well you get the point.

edonin
10-20-2006, 05:38 AM
I've been testing Idokorro's Mobile Admin. It allows you to do all that you mention from your Blackberry using the BES MDS security to cover you.

You do need to know a new user's PIN # to add them to the BES, but you can list and find existing users by name, and then manipulate their accounts like you would on the BES. It's a little slower than sitting at the BES console, but you can't beat the convenience when you get a support call and you're away from the office or home.

It also lets you stop, start, and restart services, reboot the server, call up Task Manager, has a command prompt and file management GUI, etc.

It needs the BRK User Administration Service Installed to work. Only thing I've found as a minor problem is that I sometimes have to send a restart to the service if it fails to find a user. (Don't do a stop/start or you're screwed).

That could be a bug with the version of BRK I'm running, and is a minor issue compared to the convenience it offers. Check out Idokorro - Remote Network Administration (http://www.idokorro.com) for more details. About $250 per server license with unlimited client licenses.

jweber
12-06-2006, 03:53 PM
Can anyone tell me why I keep getting a service-specific error code 0 wehn attempting to start the BlackBerry UserAdministration Service?
I have searched on every BB forum/site I can think of.
Thank you.

edonin
12-07-2006, 06:13 AM
I got that same error initially. If like us you're running BES 4.1 SP2 and trying to run BRK version 4.1.0.9, RIM doesn't officially support and hasn't optimized it for SP2 yet.

Because of that, the BESUserAdminService installation process enters some wrong registry values.

Check the following Registry keys after you run the service installation procedure:

hkcu\software\research in motion\Blackberry Enterprise Server\Admin

hkcu\software\research in motion\Blackberry Enterprise Server\Agents

hkcu\software\research in motion\Blackberry Enterprise Server\DBConsistancy

hkcu\software\research in motion\Blackberry Enterprise Server\Management

hkcu\software\research in motion\Manager\Blackberry Enterprise Server\Manager\ExchangeAdapter

As I recall, some if not all of their MAPIProfile values defaulted to BlackberryServer instead of the value that I entered during the service installation procedure.

Change those MAPIProfile values to what you truly need and then you should be able to start the BESUserAdminService without failure.

It's been a while since I dealt with this, so if the service still doesn't start, search the registry for MAPIProfile, in case I left out a key that has the wrong value inserted by the service installation.

I hope this helps.

ian_macleod
12-07-2006, 10:05 AM
Hi Jweber - not sure if this helps your exact situation but RIM does have a Knowledge Base article on the error you are seeing:

tinyurl.com/lhbt6
preview.tinyurl.com/lhbt6

This will link to article number: KB-04049

I'd certainly look into what edonin said as well, this can cause a lot of issues for the Exchange BES.

Hope this helps.

jweber
12-07-2006, 12:16 PM
Thanks. I'll take a look.
I did get the service to run and stay running. However, now my BB gets an error and the Windows Event Viewer shows unable to determine user role.
Uggghhhh