PDA

View Full Version : manually lock phone (with password protection)

pspiegel
10-21-2006, 02:51 AM
i have searched for this but I can not find... is there a way to manually lock my phone with password protection (using the alt enter key command), but without having it lock it after any elapsed period of time? I tried turning password protection on and then was going to set the "lock after" time to none, but that is not an option..

i basically want to be able to decide when I want it locked, and just be able to press alt + enter and it will lock, otherwise it will not lock...

Thanks!

d_fisher
10-21-2006, 12:26 PM
Sorry, but you can not do what your asking. You can have the device lock with a password after 2-60 minutes. Or lock it manually with no time requirement but also no password. Many people have complained about this option in the past. Maybe RIM can implement this in a future release.

tsac
10-21-2006, 02:32 PM
sounds like your on a corporate security policy. Even if you did find a way, the policy download would overide it soon anyway.

pspiegel
10-21-2006, 03:04 PM
nope not on a corporate security policy.. BIS in fact... i figured there wasn't a way to do it, too bad!

takeshi
10-21-2006, 04:06 PM
Is an hour too short for you?

pspiegel
10-22-2006, 01:15 AM
no, i just kind of wanted the capability to have it unlocked when i need it frequently, like at work/etc/when it is right on my hip and then the capability to manually lock it when I am going to not be right with it..

d_fisher
10-22-2006, 12:40 PM
Set the password requirement for 60 mintues. If you want to lock it sooner than that hold the * key for a few seconds.

rich 36
10-22-2006, 02:31 PM
I want to add a password, on the odd occassiom its left lying about

but the 'password keeper'
(if i'm on the right track)

asks for a password I don't know I have, and counts down every failed attempt
I make

what do I do next

hix
10-23-2006, 12:02 PM
regarding the original question.... you're using an 8700 right?
maybe i'm misunderstanding, but the answer is fairly simple.

i simply assigned my front convenience key to "lock".

i also have the automatic lock set for 2 mins.

that way, it will lock automatically after 2 mins, or i can just press my front convenience key at any time, and it will lock.

i guess this depends on whether you want to use your front convenience key for anything else, but I'm the same as you - I like the idea of having a button that instantly turns on the lock - so I've set mine up like this.

hope that helps????

d_fisher
10-23-2006, 12:09 PM
I want to add a password, on the odd occassiom its left lying about

but the 'password keeper'
(if i'm on the right track)

asks for a password I don't know I have, and counts down every failed attempt
I make

what do I do nextThe Password Keeper password is seperate from the device password. After you have used up all your attempts to unlock the Password Keeper it will delete any information you entered and reset the password.

whsbuss
10-23-2006, 02:50 PM
regarding the original question.... you're using an 8700 right?
maybe i'm misunderstanding, but the answer is fairly simple.

i simply assigned my front convenience key to "lock".

i also have the automatic lock set for 2 mins.

that way, it will lock automatically after 2 mins, or i can just press my front convenience key at any time, and it will lock.

i guess this depends on whether you want to use your front convenience key for anything else, but I'm the same as you - I like the idea of having a button that instantly turns on the lock - so I've set mine up like this.

hope that helps????

On an 87xx with Dialing from Home Screen disabled, press the "k" key to manually lock your BB.