PDA

View Full Version : Memory Upgrade?

jacobsaa
03-22-2005, 03:05 PM
Is there anyway to upgrade the memory of the blackberry - (add more memory etc.) Any way other than to delete applications of saved email? Just wondering. Thanks.

vinniet
03-22-2005, 03:08 PM
No way to upgrade memory

jacobsaa
03-22-2005, 04:16 PM
Sorry to hear it, but ok.

rambo47
03-22-2005, 08:39 PM
I was hoping for a memory upgrade as well. That's why I've been agitating for SD memory card slots in future Blackberries. I would jump all over an upgrade program, either from my carrier, from RIM, or from a third party, that upped the memory from 16 MB to 32 MB or more. But being a realist, I know why we won't see this: they want us to upgrade by buying a new model, not adding features to our existing ones.

jibi
03-22-2005, 08:42 PM
But being a realist, I know why we won't see this: they want us to upgrade by buying a new model, not adding features to our existing ones.

i would think its more along the lines of security rather than greed. just FYI. these were business devices first, long before they became the next fad in the consumer market. their large contracts with the US government pretty much restricted what they could add and what they couldn't add to the handheld. i'm pretty sure that SD memory slots was one of those that fell into the category of 'do not add'. i can only think of the many security concerns this would pose...

bfrye
03-22-2005, 08:46 PM
i would think its more along the lines of security rather than greed. just FYI. these were business devices first, long before they became the next fad in the consumer market. their large contracts with the US government pretty much restricted what they could add and what they couldn't add to the handheld. i'm pretty sure that SD memory slots was one of those that fell into the category of 'do not add'. i can only think of the many security concerns this would pose...
No kidding. And truthfully, working in the US govt, I'm surprised the only upgraded java models they're offering right now (32mb, GPS, better screens, etc...) are only available with bluetooth. We'll never purchase a BT unit in the govt, or at least not anytime soon.

Zro
03-22-2005, 08:56 PM
I could have heard wrong, but I have heard that other wireless devices are now leaning away from SD slots because of security reasons...

"i may not have the password to access the PDA, but i can just swap this SD card into my PDA and get all thier info"

Zro

jacobsaa
03-22-2005, 09:32 PM
I wish that an upgrade would be available somehow. With the expansion of applications and other software, keeping up will be almost impossible, without the purchase of a new phone here and there. I would have no problem upgrading to a 32mb but i just bought my Blackberry and since I am a current member there is no incentive in doing so. No deals, no reduced plans, and certainly a price that isnt reflective of new customer activations and service. Hmmmm.

jacobsaa
03-22-2005, 09:35 PM
Oh, and does anybody know what the cost of the 7290 is? The phone seen here: www.getyourblackberry.com