PDA

View Full Version : Tried Pearl? But gone back to 8700?

bbmike
10-22-2006, 06:22 PM
Anyone try the Pearl but miss QWERTY too much only to return to the 87xx? I'm struggling with this right now. Although my sights are set on the 8800, which is probably 6 months away. I'm with Rogers.

Any comments or perspective would help.:-?

mike_187
10-22-2006, 11:10 PM
have you ever used a sure type device? if you are a heavy emailer you probably will end up going back to full keyboard. i know people that love it and people that hate it. you gota give sure type a lil time as well (a week or so).

mymitsu3kgt
10-22-2006, 11:15 PM
You'll be able to type much faster with the Suretype once you've practiced a little.

thatboiwes
10-23-2006, 12:44 AM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8700c: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

The only thing keeping me away from the Pearl is the SureType keypad. I'm waiting for the Crimson to come out for the Qwerty keypad and camera.

Nickster248
10-23-2006, 01:47 AM
Anyone try the Pearl but miss QWERTY too much only to return to the 87xx? I'm struggling with this right now. Although my sights are set on the 8800, which is probably 6 months away. I'm with Rogers.

Any comments or perspective would help.:-?
I currently use an 7130e from Telus, but am trialing both an 8703e from Telus, and an 8700r from Rogers. It is not only the qwerty keyboard that I find attractive, but I prefer the larger screen as well. (y)

As a lot of others have mentioned, I'm really waiting for the BB 8800 Crimson which should be out next year sometime. Along with a larger screen and a qwerty keyboard, it will have expandable memory in the form if Micro SD Cards, and that is a huge feature in my books.(y)

flash24
10-23-2006, 03:40 AM
practice is all it takes bud

RoadRider
10-23-2006, 05:52 AM
I was VERY skeptical, but in less than a week (heavy use), I'm acclimated. Typing so far is close to the same speed as on 8700, I never even think about the screen size, love the size weight (compared to 8700), and the trackball is a non-issue - works fine. I would miss the Pearl badly if I had to go back now.

bbmike
10-23-2006, 08:29 AM
:-? No doubt the form and design of the 8100 is making this decision harder. 6 months until the Indigo or Crimson seems like an eternity for me. I do prefer QWERTY and larger screen...decisions...decisions....ahhhhhhh!

walds11
10-23-2006, 09:56 AM
I went from an 8700c to 7130c. The small size is very important to me. I really like the 7130c. Only thing I miss is the wide screen of the 8700c. The screen is great for surfing the web.

paulbblc
10-23-2006, 10:14 AM
You'll be able to type much faster with the Suretype once you've practiced a little.

I know a lot of people who have found this out themselves but for me personally I type much faster with the full keyboard than I ever did on my 7100 that I had for 6 months.

tprime
10-23-2006, 11:36 AM
My wife has a pearl, I have a 8700 before that a 7100. I can definitly type faster on pearl and do it one handed. I was going to get the pearl however my wife says it's a girlie looking phone as compared to my 8700. She says it doesn't fit me because of my large hands. Now I have second thoughts but honestly because of the added features, really it's better. A little bit slower on response sometime but other than that...

the pearl is a winner to me.

I might wait for 8800 for now but if i already had the pearl for myself i wouldn't go back.

Tri-Tip
10-23-2006, 12:27 PM
A coworker has a Pearl, and it's so tiny, way too small in my opinion to use as a Blackberry. If I wanted a phone with an unlimited autodialer (address book), and calendar usage, it would be great, but there's no way I could deal with it as an e-mail device.

archer6
10-23-2006, 04:14 PM
Initially I could not decide, so I purchased the 7130c because of it’s size and form factor.

Little did I know at the time, having never owned a BlackBerry, just how much I would enjoy it. And how useful it would be. At first SureType was very frustrating then after a few days I learned it and it became fun and fast.

Then after reading all the “Pro Qwerty Keyboard” posts here I decided to buy an 8700c to see what that was like as I now knew I would be using a BB for email more than I expected prior to purchasing my first BB. In addition, I liked the larger horizontal display that is offered on the 8700c.

Now after just a few short weeks I find that I can enter text just as fast on the SureType as I can on the full qwerty. A very surprising result.

Not only that, I find that one of the advantages of SureType, is how nice it is to be able to use the phone one handed.

I must say that it’s been a fun experiment and learning experience. If I had to choose just one at this point, it would be a very difficult decision as they both have their distinct advantages. They both have the same excellent functionality, just in two different form factors. That said, I would probably choose the 7130c as I like the overall shape being that of a regular cell phone.

bbmike
10-24-2006, 06:58 AM
There is an important factor I have to take into consideration. "Sure-Type" is not as efficient as one might think if you are a regular user (typer) of multiple languages. My reality is that every day, I communicate in both French and English, heck sometimes even in Italian. Sure Type doesn't deliver on the other languages as well as it does in English. Remember I can't reset my default language, because my default language is actually 3 of them!

Unless I missed something....QWERTY is the way to go. :)

takeshi
10-24-2006, 07:54 AM
I'm not sure other's opinions will really help unless you're just running a popularity contest here. Some people like SureType and others don't. Buy based on your preference...

I mean, do you choose what you want for lunch or what clothes you like based on forum consensus?

bbmike
10-24-2006, 07:57 AM
I'm not sure other's opinions will really help unless you're just running a popularity contest here. Some people like SureType and others don't. Buy based on your preference...

I mean, do you choose what you want for lunch or what clothes you like based on forum consensus?

This is where we have to be careful, as I find you post a little offensive. We are not talking about clothes nor food. Hence the comparison is mute.
I want to make sure that I have not overlooked anything. Some people value the opinions and experience of others. I guess some, do not.