PDA

View Full Version : just bought a 8700c

lwillson
10-24-2006, 11:58 AM
I just bought a 8700c (cingular) from a guy on ebay. when I turned it on there is no browser or individual email acount activation icons. I don't have any bb services from cingular. I get my service from my company and they just have the min package. Is there a reason though the icons are not there.

thanks

NJBlackBerry
10-24-2006, 11:59 AM
Yes.
Until you have a BlackBerry Data Plan, you won't get the icons.

lwillson
10-24-2006, 01:04 PM
is there any stand alone web browser I can use. I used to have a 8125 and a treo and could just use IE. is this possible at all.

paulbblc
10-24-2006, 01:06 PM
nope, need to have a BB Data Plan to use any data features. (browser, email)

snowskier79
10-24-2006, 01:12 PM
Any blackberry data functions, i.e. email, browsing, wireless synching, you need to have a BB data plan from Cingular. Otherwise the BB is an expensive phone and PIM.

greggebhardt
10-24-2006, 01:16 PM
The good thing is that the Cingular unlimited BIS plan is only $29. A bargain for what it does for me. For less than a dollar a day you can have full Blackberry service.

NJBlackBerry
10-24-2006, 01:19 PM
Sure beats the old Nextel plans ;-)

paulbblc
10-24-2006, 01:25 PM
The good thing is that the Cingular unlimited BIS plan is only $29. A bargain for what it does for me. For less than a dollar a day you can have full Blackberry service.

Woah, you sounded like a Cingular ad there.. Would we flag this as spam? :razz:

FroogleThis
10-24-2006, 01:33 PM
Lucky yours actually worked outta the box. I bought mine from the Cingular Online Store, and two hours outta the box it goes grey and says "JVM Error: 525" then error 535. Good ol' Cingular doing their thorough QC before shipment. :P

And yea, as others said, get the Data Plan and you'll get the icons. :) Good Luck!

Magnum
10-24-2006, 02:50 PM

The funny thing is good luck getting someone at cingular knowledgable enough to know the unlimited personal plan exists.

Point, I switched mine over to this plan months ago and it took me 4 people to finally get it done. My wife was still on the full enterprise plan, so I offered to call for her and it took me 3 people to figure out what I was talking about. I ended up pulling up my bill to give them their code for the personal unlimited bb plan. Silly, silly.... It's displayed right on their website, but if they can get an extra $15 bucks from 1,000's of people they're making some good dough!

Dubdub
10-24-2006, 04:17 PM
Lucky yours actually worked outta the box. I bought mine from the Cingular Online Store, and two hours outta the box it goes grey and says "JVM Error: 525" then error 535. Good ol' Cingular doing their thorough QC before shipment. :P

And yea, as others said, get the Data Plan and you'll get the icons. :) Good Luck!

I don't think you can really blame Cingular for the hardare problems. You need to yell and scream at RIM's manufacturer, whomever that might be. My guess is that it is the low cost bidder no matter what.

archer6
10-24-2006, 07:49 PM
Lucky yours actually worked outta the box. I bought mine from the Cingular Online Store, and two hours outta the box it goes grey and says "JVM Error: 525" then error 535. Good ol' Cingular doing their thorough QC before shipment.

I can certainly understand your frustration. It's no fun to get a bad device.

However when one takes into consideration that it's mass produced and fairly complex, there are bound to be some that do not perform as they should. If every BlackBerry was perfect out of the box there would be no reason for a warranty.

As far as carriers go I'm not sticking up for Cingular, but I can assure you from a great deal of personal experience with Cingular/Verizon/T-Mo. They can all be quite unpleasant to deal with. I have yet to hear of a carrier that people are really happy with. Customer satisfaction is a concept they seem to talk about, instead of practicing.

So, there are terrific odds in your favor that the next one you receive will be just fine...8-) I just bought two new BB's from Cingular no problem.

takeshi
10-25-2006, 09:20 AM
As far as carriers go I'm not sticking up for Cingular, but I can assure you from a great deal of personal experience with Cingular/Verizon/T-Mo. They can all be quite unpleasant to deal with.
I agree but we have considerably more trouble (more support calls, more time spent per call, fewer knowledgeable reps) with Cingular and that's really interesting considering that about 80% of our Blackberries are T-Mobile and the remainder are with Cingular... YMMV. Good luck!